Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #11
nerdvana

Default Re: [Powers] Limiting Modular Abilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by munin View Post
If you use an allocated Luck, you can immediately swap it out for another trait and use it, but if you then swap Luck back in it's still on the same clock as before (though you could allocate a higher level of Luck to reduce the recharge time). I think that's consistent with how Divine Powers treats alternative abilities and it makes modular ability builds less finicky.
Here is the problem... I'm wanting to make it so that you cannot swap out the Luck that you used for 8 hours. Even though it is used and (worse) a One Use power.
nerdvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:04 PM   #12
munin

Since Bruno's Recharge Rule* is a reasonable house-rule and is more useful to your problem than mine, go with that (i.e., require allocated abilities to be limited by Takes Recharge, 8 hours, -30% and fiat it as doing what you want).

I'm not sure what you mean by "single use power" and "one use power" though. Are you referring to the mechanic from Supers (p. 114) where abilities cost one-fifth their usual amount but can only be used once ever?

* I'm going to call it that from now on.
munin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:45 PM   #13
nerdvana

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by "single use power" and "one use power" though. Are you referring to the mechanic from Supers (p. 114) where abilities cost one-fifth their usual amount but can only be used once ever?
Yes, that's exactly it. You memorize the spells as one-time powers which is why applying recharge to them seems a bit wonky. I am specifically looking to limit the ability to rearrange the points in the MA.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:07 PM   #14
munin

Ah. I wouldn't use the One Use Ever mechanic -- it's equivalent to an infinite recharge time. By my rule that would mean you could never allocate that spell again, and by Bruno's rule I think that would mean your Modular Ability itself would be effectively lost.

I think simply using Limited Use, 1 use/day, -40% on the modular ability is sufficient (each slot can be treated separately). That's recommended in both the Basic Set and in GURPS Thaumatology.
munin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:13 AM   #15
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdvana View Post
Yes, that's exactly it. You memorize the spells as one-time powers which is why applying recharge to them seems a bit wonky. I am specifically looking to limit the ability to rearrange the points in the MA.
I wouldnt allow this as you have already been told.
That 1 use thing is not really about variable powers but more like a plot device or power stunt.
I wanted to come up with something more concrete for you though and finally thought of it.
Divine Favor uses Extra Life as an AA and those points it costs are still paid for. In this case by the one you bring back. I think if RPK had thought you should be able to use a 1 shot power as your indicating here he would have done so there.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:03 AM   #16
nerdvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I think if RPK had thought you should be able to use a 1 shot power as your indicating here he would have done so there.
I'm not indicating anything about RPK. This is my idea about how to handle memorizing spells.

Quote:
Ah. I wouldn't use the One Use Ever mechanic -- it's equivalent to an infinite recharge time. By my rule that would mean you could never allocate that spell again, and by Bruno's rule I think that would mean your Modular Ability itself would be effectively lost.

I think simply using Limited Use, 1 use/day, -40% on the modular ability is sufficient (each slot can be treated separately). That's recommended in both the Basic Set and in GURPS Thaumatology.
You've summed up why I want to limit recharge time on the MA instead of interpreting it as being on the spells themselves.

Tags
limitations, modular abilities, powers