Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-19-2018, 04:19 AM   #1
GnomesofZurich

Default Reach of SM+2 race with Dwarfism

Having searched through the forums and the FAQ, I am still unsure if I am applying this correctly.

A SM+2 character has +1 Reach
A SM+1 character has +0* Reach (*Reach 'C' weapons increase to Reach 1)
Dwarfism gives -1 Reach

Is the -1 Reach from Dwarfism applied to the +1 that a normal, SM+2 member of the race has, or to the +0* from SM+1 that the member of the race with Dwarfism has?

The latter seems like double-counting, and appears to give a worse reach than a SM+0 character has.

Any help is appreciated!
Old 03-19-2018, 04:33 AM   #2
Tomsdad

Default Re: Reach of SM+2 race with Dwarfism

I think despite the fact that Dwarfism is in theory a generic trait, a lot of the text in it defaults to SM0 as the base it's applied to.

(SM-1 doesn't have reduced reach which is why IMO they add in the -1 to reach line)

Personally I'd just apply the -1 to base SM, and work out reach from that.

But I'd also took as the weapon scaling rules as well as a SM3 giant with dwarfism (so SM2) may not be able to swing the same oversized weapons round as their non dwarf giant friends.

This would also seem in keeping with the text in the dwarfism write up that cites this as a potential issue, but was written before such rules were in place. (I think)
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:29 PM   #3
GnomesofZurich

I suppose looking at a SM+3 giant with dwarfism is relevant for comparison. SM+3 has Reach +2. Applying the -1 SM from Dwarfism gives SM+2, which has a Reach +1. Applying a further -1 Reach from Dwarfism does not seem to produce a reasonable result (SM+2 with Reach 0).

So, pending further clarification, the SM+2 race when given Dwarfism ends up as SM+1 with Reach 0*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
I think despite the fact that Dwarfism is in theory a generic trait, a lot of the text in it defaults to SM0 as the base it's applied to.

(SM-1 doesn't have reduced reach which is why IMO they add in the -1 to reach line)

Personally I'd just apply the -1 to base SM, and work out reach from that.

But I'd also took as the weapon scaling rules as well as a SM3 giant with dwarfism (so SM2) may not be able to swing the same oversized weapons round as their non dwarf giant friends.

This would also seem in keeping with the text in the dwarfism write up that cites this as a potential issue, but was written before such rules were in place. (I think)
Old 03-19-2018, 03:18 PM   #4
Rupert

So far as I can see, everything under 'Dwarfism' and 'Gigantism' is applied to your base stats. Your reach is one yard less than that of a normal specimen of your species. Your SM is also one less, as is your Basic Move, and so on.

I expect that reach is noted specifically for Dwarfism and not Gigantism because Reach doesn't normally drop when you go below SM+0, and because it involves a change in proportions as well as mere size. A 'Dwarf Giant' of SM+1 (so from a species normally SM+2) will look different to a giant that is naturally SM+1. The former has a reach of +0, just like a SM+0 human, the latter has reach+0, but 'C' becomes '1'.

I suggest that if this isn't the effect you want, just take the normal smaller size (costing 0 points), use the normal game effects for that, and call them a 'small giant' or some such.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote