Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-19-2017, 10:03 PM   #11
whswhs

Default Re: Alternative Psionics

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
The psi talents are only five points. If you have so much as two psibiities, it's cheaper to have the talent.
Only if you assume a 100-point base cost for the advantage. Most psi advantages cost way less than that.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 10:40 PM   #12
Christopher R. Rice

I created a psi system that used Realm Magic as a its base. It's type of psionic power was a given "realm." I had six tiers total. Worked quite well. I had a single controlling VH skill for each power. It worked pretty decently.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 12:40 PM   #13
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
I created a psi system that used Realm Magic as a its base. It's type of psionic power was a given "realm." I had six tiers total. Worked quite well. I had a single controlling VH skill for each power. It worked pretty decently.
Would that mean that ESP was spread across several or all Realms, since 'Sense' (Detection and Measurement) is the first thing you learn to do with a Realm?

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 04:41 PM   #14
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Would that mean that ESP was spread across several or all Realms, since 'Sense' (Detection and Measurement) is the first thing you learn to do with a Realm?
Just Telekinesis for a remote sense of touch right? I mean Telepathy and Ergokinesis already have sensory elements. Oh wait, Teleportation. That would be awkward since it would automatically mean you could sense your destination at a distance.

Last edited by David Johnston2; 08-20-2017 at 04:48 PM.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:46 PM   #15
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
I'd have to check my notes, but for most it functioned as a "I can detect uses of my power vaguely" and then more precision at 3 or 4. For some powers (like TK), it instead worked as a kind of "remote sense of touch."

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:03 PM   #16
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Its worth noting that you can split up realms into whatever levels you like: the levels given in the book are (solid) examples. Though it appears something at least similar was used.

I don't think realms are a good way to save points though: they're generally nice because of their flexibility, not because they are a bargain.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:20 AM   #17
Eddie T

Sorry for the delayed responses, Sunday was the Honey-Do day yesterday I didn't get on my computer at all either.

So in no specific order:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
You obviously have Psionic Powers. In that framework "Talent" still means the psionic Talents found in Basic such as TK Talent 5pts/level adds to all rolls to use TK.

With just Basic all rolls to see if the psi ability is used correctly are against IQ+Talent. Psionic Powers adds Psionic Skills which enable you to raise your roll by learning a Skill. This enables much higher target numbers.

If you don't care for the results of the pre-built Powers in Psionic Powers you can certainly build your own. I find PK's builds frequently overly complicated as a matter of design philosophy myself.

If you really don't want to build your own Powers and/or find Basic costs for some abilities (like perhaps Telesend) to be overly expensive then Pulver's Pyramid 3/29 article may indeed be your simplest alternative.
Yes, I have Psionic Powers and am definitely going to use it at the least. As others have said, I'm a fan of the skills for Psionics in it. Which is what I was originally envisioning when I posted - Generic Telekinesis + some number of the Telekinesis skills found in Psionic Powers instead of the TK Grab advantage. That is what I meant by removing the "talent" step of the equation. Then I caught my error in my logic. Isn't that essentially the same model as Magic with Magery, though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
An alternative approach is to concentrate on using psionics for things that tech can't do, or can't do conveniently. Mind reading, rapid healing, things like that. Don't try to compete with technological guns or armour using psionics, because that's way too expensive.
Unfortunately, I'm already committed to Psi-Sword from the Pyramid article, Data Retrieval from Psionic Powers and a few others in the character builds. One of the characters comes from an Amish-style Psychic culture -> no tech if we can do it with our minds instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The above methods all basically give free points, from a classic gurps perspective. If its necessary to get your genre to work, then that's what it takes. Additionally, realize you'll want to give some kinds of ability more love in an ultra-tech setting, particularly physical defenses and TK.
Yeah...I'm trying to avoid blatantly free points, or at least free points that overpower the mundanes. I can always offset with cooler gear, but I'm trying to find a way to do this without forcing myself to be Santa Claus at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Realm magic? I don't recall seeing that one yet. Is it in Magic or Thaumatology? Or somewhere else?
Eddie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:27 AM   #18
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie T View Post
Yes, I have Psionic Powers and am definitely going to use it at the least. As others have said, I'm a fan of the skills for Psionics in it. Which is what I was originally envisioning when I posted - Generic Telekinesis + some number of the Telekinesis skills found in Psionic Powers instead of the TK Grab advantage. That is what I meant by removing the "talent" step of the equation. Then I caught my error in my logic. Isn't that essentially the same model as Magic with Magery, though?
Power to generically possess a type of Psi and skills to use it different ways would effectively be 3e Psionics. 4e just doesn't work that ways. It's Powers to be able to do a specific task and skills to do it well. Psi Powers does introduce Psionic Techniques which does complicate matters rather a bit.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:01 AM   #19
Mailanka

If you want really, really cheap psi, consider the "Magic as Psi" from Pyramid #3/29.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:37 PM   #20
Eddie T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Power to generically possess a type of Psi and skills to use it different ways would effectively be 3e Psionics. 4e just doesn't work that ways. It's Powers to be able to do a specific task and skills to do it well. Psi Powers does introduce Psionic Techniques which does complicate matters rather a bit.
Oh, ok. I have a few 3e books for setting-type stuff (Alternate Earths, Conspiracy X, etc.) but haven't looked at the rules for 3e at all.
Eddie T is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
psionics