Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-22-2016, 09:56 PM   #51
(E)

Default Re: DF Monsters: A Wizard did It!

Railers

As you look down the corridor you notice a single continuous line of runes winding it's way along until it disappears from sight. The line of runes seems to follow some unknown logic as it's path takes it across walls over the floor and even along the ceiling at one point.

The Railers are demonic creatures that are bound to runes. They move incredibly quickly and are equiped with long reach weapons such as glaives or halberds.

Playing with the idea
- The runes may brighten prior to a railer making an appearance.
- getting knocked off the runeway may dispel a railer
- rather than runes the railer may be a construct running on an actual rail. Bronze sliders instead of bronze spiders.

Last edited by (E); 09-22-2016 at 10:30 PM.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 04:29 AM   #52
Flyndaran
Untagged

Hunger snake: Initially created by a benevolent mage to assist in healing, this creature's venom initiates rapid cellular turnover. This induces regeneration and even some regrowth. But it's addictive and once started it's almost impossible to stop. Metabolism increases and increases as blind ravenous hunger consumes its victims. Eventually victims may even resort to cannibalism or even autophagy ie. eating parts of themselves. Easy to confuse with trolls.
These snakes still survive, because there's always some arrogant person keeping them around just in case as of course they'd be strong enough to resist.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:58 AM   #53
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Murder Eyes

Several large (for eyeballs) hovering eyeballs (SM -7). Each one can shoot a magical bolt out of it once every three seconds. Most bolts do 1d6 toxic damage, but some had odd effects, like grease, daze, command, or even zombify dead!

A single point of damage will destroy an eye, but unless the source is targeted, it will pump out eyes at a rate of 1 per minute. The source looks different for different murder eyes, but it is often disguised as a rock, stump, pot, or some other useful form of magic item. Destroying the source will confuse the eyes and cut off their intelligence, but the eyes will remain fixed on their last task, and reasonably hostile.

A version that's controllable by a wizard is possible, but beware of this, because it's very simply abused!

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:17 PM   #54
(E)

Stone blessed

Typically a Dwarven Elementalist, but not nessicarily. When an earth mage or Elementalist advances they typically commune with the earth for power and guidance. In some cases the communion is too much for the aspirant and their mind is subsumed by the power.

As the humanoid mind is incompatible with the consciousness of an entire Element it results in an individual with a twisted devotion to the earth. The stone blessed may almost randomly take umbrage with a mine or tunnel and seek to remove those who plunder the earth.

A stone blessed can move through earth and stone with ease and call on the very rocks as allies. Opponents face a master of earth magic as well.

Ideas
- stone skin
- see through earth
- shape earth as a blocking spell
- a school of flying fist sized rocks as an ally.
- rolling rocks to slam opponents.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:13 PM   #55
(E)

The Mist bound

Visual
A dungeon with a knee deep mist across the floor.
You see a group of mismatched figures. Orcs, Skeletons, Elves, dwarves and even a minotaur. The mist seems deeper around them. They approach as a tightly knit group.

The mist bound are the victims of a mind controlling semi-sentient gas that seeks to capture and add entities to itself. While connected to the mist they are extensions of it.

Thoughts
- size limit, a few dozen hexes
- weak against large area heat and drying spells (create fire will be an ideal spell to take it down)
- if the mist is destroyed the surviving "extensions" may have a free for all brawl as they realize they are next to ancestral enemies.
- may try to grapple and drag opponents down so they can breath the mist.
- may capture party members if the rest in a dungeon. (I.e. lie down and have their heads beneath the mist level.
- some similarities to the legacy lich but quite different in execution and limitations.
- may also be a slime or Ooze.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:26 PM   #56
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
Stone blessed
snip good stuff.
That fits the setting I'm creating to an almost freaky degree.
I've been thinking of creating the main races as beasts lightly infused with one of the five elements. Humanity is that of plant - grass (corn, wheat, rice), elves with classic plant- wood (trees). Dwarves are of course earth.
But that made me imagine what if someone wanted more of that element? Trading or stealing from spirits could lead to that, but some may get greedy or simply not able to handle as much as they get.

Your guys for the dwarves gone bonkers.
Elves could have the classic Tree Blessed for more of the stereotypical elf that hates all use of plants even cast off twigs for firewood.
Old 09-25-2016, 04:48 AM   #57
(E)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
That fits the setting I'm creating to an almost freaky degree.
Glad to be of help, however inadvertently.

I am in the process of converting the mage from earlier to 4th ed. I am also saving a couple of ideas in case there is a new DF monster competition.

Drawing a complete blank on the name
Update, The Colchian Staff

The Wizard hasn't been neglecting his personal protection while creating monsters, this is his staff.

Made from an undead and dried Wyvern some 7 feet long this staff comes as a surprise to most.

A fairly intelligent undead creation,
- Excellent at getting a "Touch" for spellcasting purposes
- Also has the Staff spell
- Lightning with power
- Impaling tail
- Venomous or vampiric bite
- Constriction
- Steel wraith
- Possibly Choke and Deathtouch spells.

Last edited by (E); 09-29-2016 at 05:49 PM.
Old 09-25-2016, 06:48 AM   #58
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
Drawing a complete blank on the name
Deathcoil
Venom
Sounds of Nightmare
Tea Party of the Damned
... I'm just naming heavy metal bands now.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:40 AM   #59
Rasputin

More Arduin:

Bubble Men: they're bubbles shaped like men, and filled with gas that does nasty things (explode, poison, or sleep).
Vampusas: vampire/medusas
Yaanths: grizzly bear/giant otter hybrids with "three emerald green eyes and silver claws and fangs"
Zoomers: puppies with jack rabbit ears and green star sapphire eyes; they are gregarious and loud, move incredibly fast (30" in a game where the typical man moves 12"), and can sniff out precious metals and undead
Boomers: giant frogs that explode when you kill them
Boruu: armored bull/buffalo hybrids
Crumblers: piles of sand that kill with sonic attack
Rainbow Dragon: red bodied, white striped, three blue-headed dragons
Fang Wings: giant winged wolves
Fool's Bane: black slime that can mimic black creatures or items
Freeze Bees: "cat sized bees, carved from ice and translucent blue"
Gnorc: gnoll/orc hybrid
Gworms: "giant, black earthworms, with red noses and tails. They are 30’ to 300’ long." They eat anything in their path and feel no pain
Hyclops: "huge fury [sic] humanoid with 3 wolf like heads (3 sets of fangs) and 4 arms. They are silver grey in color." They can smell their quarry even 180 feet underground
Morqs: "Morqs are featureless, eyeless androids built by a long dead alien race. They are dull tan and sexless, with rough shark like skin." They track with sound, "regenerate like Trolls, and attack until dead like zombies."
Ninthlas: phase spiders with 12 legs and deadly poison
Quarls: black, six-legged felines with one red eye and black tusks
Rockworms: "9’ – 15’ long, warty brown, worm like beasts with a 3’ wide mouth that acts like a rotating diamond drill that sprays acid"
Shydras: bronze hydras with "Shiva like" upper bodies with eyes of real flame in which the wizard who made it can store up to three spells
Skorpadillos: giant armadillos with scorpion tails
Skorpoons: "deep green, scorpion tailed baboons were genetically engineered warriors"
Sky Scorpions: intelligent scorpions in space!
Snow Golems: There must have been some magic in that old top hat they found, for when they placed it on its head, it breathed Cone of Cold around!
Star Beast: "A Star Beast has 6 tentacles, a fanged mouth, and a bright metallic red surface. It has a single huge, golden, glaring eye … Tends to drool, snarl, and make sounds like hungry baby animals (think puppies and kittens)."
Storm Birds: blue eagles that can "fan a wind like a Djinn at double the Djinn wind’s strength." No mention of the smell of said wind.
Sun Bears: giant golden bears with fire-starting saliva
Sun Bug: "a small, ruby colored beetle that flies in swarms" that goes flash when you hit it. Akin are the Thunder Bugs, which go out with a bang.
Thorg: six-legged lion/tiger hybrids
Tunch Bears: a hybrid between a tunch (think dire strix) and a bear
Wobra: "an emerald green winged cobra with ruby red eyes" that spit venom

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:06 AM   #60
johndallman
Night Watchman

The Mini-onions of Set

Small winged onions, determined to kill all life made of meat. Come in swarms of thousands, doing 1d crushing. Fortunately, they are easy to defeat with magic: an illusion of giant flying pickle jars worked beautifully.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, monsters