Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-08-2014, 11:52 AM   #51
Dalillama

Default Re: Monster Hunters by Gaslight - Whitechapel, London, Hell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
And Brawling at DX+2 or higher would certainly make for a shocking surprise from chicken-sized foes.
Only for those who haven't dealt personally with the evil birds. There are cases on record of cockfighting organizers who've strapped razor spurs onto their birds to make things more dramatic being killed by those same roosters.

Quote:

Were there enough parakeets in London in 1888 for that to be valid? And even if there were, would they have been found in poorer neighbourhoods?
Budgerigars were popular pets since the 1850s, and it's my understanding that they were considered good low-maintenance pets for those without much space.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:28 PM   #52
Icelander

Default Re: Summary of monster ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
More usefully, here's an idea for a monster that might work. It would probably be more appropriate in a game with an earlier date, but may work here.

This might overlap a bit with your idea of Spring Heeled Jack, but how about some chimneysweeps? They'd be emaciated, soot-covered boys of around 8-10 years old, possibly with some nasty claws and teeth (and certainly with things like Clinging and Super Climbing). They'd likely climb out of chimneys in the area and try to pounce on the characters below (alternatively, they fall down into the fireplace when characters go inside). As the practice of using young boys as chimneysweeps was outlawed in 1875, these would be those who died, making Injury Tolerance: Unliving appropriate. Optionally, a coating of creosole beneath the soot would make the chimneysweep flammable.

Chimneysweeps would be between SM-2 (short boys) to SM-1. Realistic HP for a living chimneysweep would be somewhere between 6 (27 lb; young and emaciated) and 8 (64 lb, appropriate for a healthy 10-year-old, which a chimneysweep probably isn't).
This would probably please my players, as they've been maintaining that Jimbo Moss, the 'chimney-sweep' they picked up in the 'haunted' town house, is demonic ever since they found him. Since he didn't suffer any ill effects from being dunked in holy water*, they have, however, reluctantly accepted that he seems human and not infested with demonic/horrific energies or spirits.

He is, however, lying about being a chimney-sweep, as the wordly-wise Father MacManus immediately spotted. Speaking in incomprehensible Whitechapel argot, he confessed having entered the town house after hearing of the death of the owner, with a view toward looting any portables.

*Beyond rendering the water unfit to drink by shedding an outer layer of filth into it.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:37 PM   #53
Anthony

Quote:
He is, however, lying about being a chimney-sweep, as the wordly-wise Father MacManus immediately spotted. Speaking in incomprehensible Whitechapel argot, he confessed having entered the town house after hearing of the death of the owner, with a view toward looting any portables.
Who says a chimney sweep can't have a side business in larceny?
Old 01-08-2014, 12:39 PM   #54
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Who says a chimney sweep can't have a side business in larceny?
No one, of course. But as noted up-thread, chimney-sweeps of his age have been illegal for longer than he has been alive. Which the aristocratic Woodsworth and the world-striding Col. Wilkinson did not know or at least consider, but Father MacManus, ministering to the poor and downtrodden masses as he does, certainly did.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:51 PM   #55
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
Only for those who haven't dealt personally with the evil birds. There are cases on record of cockfighting organizers who've strapped razor spurs onto their birds to make things more dramatic being killed by those same roosters.
Indeed, indeed.

But my personal experience of hens and chickens is mostly limited to the dining table and I suspect the same goes for my players.

While I have met fowl in person while visiting the untidy and smelly countryside where meals come from, none of them have to this date made any attempt to murder me. Cockfighting is, furthermore, not a popular hobby hereabouts.

My kid sister considers all fowl to be murderous and treacherous creatures, however, so it is possible that she might not be surprised and instead see this is a vindication. As far as I know, her attitude has no basis whatsoever in experience, but has been a constant from since she was a toddler. She is not among my players, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
Budgerigars were popular pets since the 1850s, and it's my understanding that they were considered good low-maintenance pets for those without much space.
Indeed so?

Possibly flocks might be rather much, though. But a couple of them would hardly be much threat, on the other hand...

Flocks of demonic pigeons!
Old 01-08-2014, 01:21 PM   #56
Dalillama

Quote:
Indeed so?

Possibly flocks might be rather much, though. But a couple of them would hardly be much threat, on the other hand...

Flocks of demonic pigeons!
Oh, I thought those had already been suggested. Sparrows and Starlings too; get out the Swarm rules for those ones. Demonic budgies can sit on the sidelines making nasty and demoralizing remarks, egging on the other creatures, and acting as spotters for the hogs and chimneysweeps. Ravens, crows and rooks can do the same, but demonic forms of those would be perfectly threatening in their own right. Even the non-demonic kind can do some serious harm, double their size and add active malevolence and 6 or a dozen become a serious problem. Also, since all of the above birds can speak: spellcasting demonic Budgies.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:25 PM   #57
Lameth

Icelander, check your PM. thx!
Lameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:26 PM   #58
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lameth View Post
Icelander, check your PM. thx!
I saw it, but my box keeps filling. It would be far easier to reply to you in this thread, because it wouldn't necessiate the reading and archiving/deleting of old PMs before I can reply... :)

There's also the chance that other forumites may have useful input which is spurred by any replies, so if you possibly can, I'd like it if you'd repost your questions in this thread, for me to reply to.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:34 PM   #59
fredtheobviouspseudonym

Quote:
. . . it lacks en suite bathrooms at the time, which were an innovation when the Savoy introduced them in hotel rooms . . .
I would suspect that for one of sufficient social status, this isn't a problem.

You either summon servants to set up/remove a bath in your room, or simply commandeer the common bath for your ablutions. Who's going to argue with two mild-mannered but large servants (from their elegant attire, servants of a powerful & well connected person) when they politely suggest that you use the facilities on a different floor? It's England, not America, and Andrew Jackson's ideas on equality aren't welcome, thank you.
fredtheobviouspseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:43 PM   #60
Lameth

haha.. of course. I merely pointed out that your idea of the game sounds very interesting and creative and close to mine that i am running. I wanted to know if you could share some advice...

How are you approaching real world magic, like instant/on the spot spell casting sorcery, Runes, rituals, ect?
And are you using more than one overall system for all magic, or are you mixing and matching?

And I’m sure we would love to hear some of your plot ideas that you have or are using now in the game. I am looking for more inspiration for my game.. I kind of hit a little wall. Your first paragraph of your overall game was a great read btw.

Also, I have used Steel Toe before and that was a lot of fun as well as other things from the Monsters book. Also look into the game Kult, it has some good ideas and basic themes that might inspire.
Lameth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
horror, monster hunters, victorian