Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 11-20-2017, 03:00 PM   #21
Colarmel

Default Re: Upgrading existing gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
I tend to agree that while an item with a long list of "stock" modifiers and enchantments might not qualify as an artifact, exactly, it's going to be noteworthy. Hack 'n' slash doesn't have a click-based economy . . . somewhere, a dwarf had to hand-make that fine, balanced, dwarven, orichalcum scythe, which is why it costs 47 times as much. That dwarf would probably talk about this time-consuming piece of work ("Ever tried to forge orichalcum? You can't! You have to alloy it in the mold and hope for the best once it cools."). And then that item had to spend time sitting around while the Wizards' Guild enchanted it, and doubtless noted how unusual it was. It might not be a case of "this is Thor's hammer," but it's likely to be "this sword was made by my father for the six-fingered man."
Awkwardly though, a fine, balanced, Dwarven Orichalchum Scythe still comes to 705 copper, and is within the budget of a starting half-ogre barbarian that Zuljita totally isn't trying to get an upgrade for without waiting around for the enchanter's guild. Some poor dwarf put a lot of work into that 705 copper.
Colarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:09 PM   #22
zuljita

Costs less than a no frills edged rapier!
Old 11-20-2017, 03:38 PM   #23
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuljita View Post
Costs less than a no frills edged rapier!
If I am a blacksmith, I can make a rapier and probably sell it to someone. This thing takes a dwarven smith, a weird metal, and an enchanter so the cost difference here could reflect demand more than supply.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:41 PM   #24
Kalzazz

Makes me really curious about dwarves farming
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:04 PM   #25
martinl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Makes me really curious about dwarves farming
Dwarves are experts at goldfarming.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:58 PM   #26
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colarmel View Post

Awkwardly though, a fine, balanced, Dwarven Orichalchum Scythe still comes to 705 copper, and is within the budget of a starting half-ogre barbarian that Zuljita totally isn't trying to get an upgrade for without waiting around for the enchanter's guild. Some poor dwarf put a lot of work into that 705 copper.
Some dwarves are Comfortable-to-Wealthy masters, some are Average-to-Comfortable journeymen, some are Struggling-to-Average apprentices, and some are Poor-to-Struggling misfits called "Hey, you!" While the masters are off crafting swords, the guys who barely have a job are making scythes. Sure, they're very nice scythes – the shop's master insists – but that doesn't mean they're on a par with the swords. On the other hand, just because they're not as thrilling as swords doesn't mean they don't stand out next to the scythe Farmer Bob keeps in the barn, or that they don't take forever to make . . . that's how the master keeps his sister's idiot kid busy and out of trouble.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:22 PM   #27
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Edit: This dangerous pastime of adding "reality" to Dungeon Fantasy RPG makes me nervous. I feel like putting on a seatbelt or something.
You think that's crazy... hold my beer, I'ma add some realism to DF...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Some dwarves are Comfortable-to-Wealthy masters, some are Average-to-Comfortable journeymen, some are Struggling-to-Average apprentices, and some are Poor-to-Struggling misfits called "Hey, you!" While the masters are off crafting swords, the guys who barely have a job are making scythes. Sure, they're very nice scythes – the shop's master insists – but that doesn't mean they're on a par with the swords. On the other hand, just because they're not as thrilling as swords doesn't mean they don't stand out next to the scythe Farmer Bob keeps in the barn, or that they don't take forever to make . . . that's how the master keeps his sister's idiot kid busy and out of trouble.
And the Player clicks on the thing Urist McSmith crafted whilst in his Strange Mood...

"Why does the scythe menace with leather codpieces?"
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote