Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-10-2014, 04:11 PM   #51
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: [RPM] Post your rituals here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Okay, cool. I love the system, but am having trouble internalizing it all.
Read it lots and PM me if you feel you need to.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:30 PM   #52
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

I hope all of you have seen my... SHAMELESS PLUG AGAIN.

You want rituals? I've got rituals. You've got rituals? I can compile them in at the end if you would like.
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:34 PM   #53
RaRaRasputin

Thunderclap
Spell Effects: Lesser Create Energy, Lesser Control Energy
Inherent Modifiers: Damage, External Explosive Crushing (Double Knockback, Side Effect [Mental Stunning])
Greater Effects: 0 (x1).

As part of the casting or triggering of this spell, you forcefully clap your hands together. The resulting sound is magically amplified and (assuming a successful attack roll) parabolically focused onto a point of your choice within 10 yards. The resulting shockwave produces a 4d6+2 crushing explosion, which deals double knockback.

Each creature that takes any penetrating damage from this effect must make an HT roll, at -1 for every 2 points of penetrating damage. Those who fail are mentally stunned, and may roll to recover from it as normal.

Typical Casting: Lesser Create Energy (6) + Lesser Control Energy (5) + Damage, External Crushing Explosion 4d6+2 (5) + Double Knockback (4) + Side Effect (Stunning) (10) Range, 10 yards (3). 33 energy (33x1).

This ritual does two things that I'm not sure are kosher.

1. Every other "attack" spell I've seen that uses the Path of Energy treats it as a Greater Effect. I'm not sure whether this is a requirement, or just a consequence of conjuring fire and lightning from nowhere rather than amplifying an existing source. I don't think it's simply a matter of game balance, because plenty of other paths can deal damage with Lesser Effects.

2. This applies the Side Effect enhancement to the sonic damage, rather than using a separate Destroy Body to apply deafness directly, or Destroy Mind to apply stunning, or whatever. I haven't seen any other spells use Side Effects or Symptoms.

Flaming Sword
Spell Effects: Greater Create Energy
Inherent Modifiers: Altered Trait (Burning Innate Attack, Linked Melee Attack)
Greater Effects: 1 (x3)

This spell, usually cast as a charm, causes a melee weapon held by the subject to burst into flames. For the next 10 minutes, anyone struck by that weapon takes an additional 2d6 burn damage. This is a linked effect, and must penetrate DR separately.

Typical Casting: Greater Create Energy (6) + Altered Trait (Innate Attack (2d6 Burn; Melee 1,C -20%; Linked +10%)) (11) + Altered Trait (Apply Linked +10% to an existing melee attack worth up to [40] as an IA) (4) + Duration, 10 minutes (1) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs (3) = 75 energy (25x3).

Notes: This ritual works by giving a creature an Innate Attack with the fixed Linked modifier, then applying the Linked modifier to their weapon attacks using the Modifying Existing Damage rules described in Power Ups 4. Is there an easier way to price this by just powering up the weapon directly?

Last edited by RaRaRasputin; 04-11-2014 at 12:57 PM.
RaRaRasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:53 PM   #54
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaRaRasputin View Post
This ritual does two things that I'm not sure are kosher.

1. Every other "attack" spell I've seen that uses the Path of Energy treats it as a Greater Effect. I'm not sure whether this is a requirement, or just a consequence of conjuring fire and lightning from nowhere rather than amplifying an existing source. I don't think it's simply a matter of game balance, because plenty of other paths can deal damage with Lesser Effects.
Most "attack" spells violate reality somehow, so that usually means a Greater effect. This definitely does and is a Greater Create Energy spell.

Quote:
2. This applies the Side Effect enhancement to the sonic damage, rather than using a separate Destroy Body to apply deafness directly, or Destroy Mind to apply stunning, or whatever. I haven't seen any other spells use Side Effects or Symptoms.
Nope, you can do that.

Quote:
Thunderclap
Spell Effects: Lesser Create Energy, Lesser Control Energy
Inherent Modifiers: Damage, External Explosive Crushing (Double Knockback, Side Effect [Mental Stunning])

As part of the casting or triggering of this spell, you forcefully clap your hands together. The resulting sound is magically amplified and (assuming a successful attack roll) parabolically focused onto a point of your choice within 10 yards. The resulting shockwave produces a 4d6+2 crushing explosion, which deals double knockback.

Each creature that takes any penetrating damage from this effect must make an HT roll, at -1 for every 2 points of penetrating damage. Those who fail are mentally stunned, and may roll to recover from it as normal.

Typical Casting: Lesser Create Energy (6) + Lesser Control Energy (5) + Damage, External Crushing Explosion 4d6+2 (5) + Double Knockback (4) + Side Effect (Stunning) (10) Range, 10 yards (3). 33 energy (33x1).
Formatting is wrong to (but you probably don't care). Should look like this:

Thunderclap
Spell Effects: Greater Create Energy.
Inherent Modifiers: Damage, External Explosive Crushing (Double Knockback, Side Effect, Stunning)
Greater Effects: 1 (x3).

As part of the casting or triggering of this spell, you forcefully clap your hands together. The resulting sound is magically amplified and (assuming a successful attack roll) parabolically focused onto a point of your choice within 10 yards. The resulting shockwave produces a 4d6+2 crushing explosion, which deals double knockback. Each creature that takes any penetrating damage from this effect must make an HT roll, at -1 for every 2 points of penetrating damage. Those who fail are mentally stunned, and may roll to recover from it as normal.

Typical Casting: Greater Create Energy (6) + Damage, External Explsoive Crushing 4d6+2 (Double Knockback, +20%; Side Effect, Stunning, +50%) (19) + Range, 10 yards (3). 84 energy (28x3).

Become a Patron!
Old 04-11-2014, 01:03 PM   #55
RaRaRasputin

Thank you. I agree that making it a Greater effect puts it more in line with the other examples of Path of Energy combat spells. This was an attempt to make one with a Lesser effect.

Quote:
Formatting is wrong to (but you probably don't care).
Sorry. I tried, but wasn't sure about a couple things.

I edited in another ritual that I'm even less sure of, mechanically. Would you mind critiquing that one too?
RaRaRasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:50 PM   #56
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
I edited in another ritual that I'm even less sure of, mechanically. Would you mind critiquing that one too?
Sure.

Quote:
Flaming Sword
Inherent Modifiers: Altered Trait (Burning Innate Attack, Linked Melee Attack)

This spell, usually cast as a charm, causes a melee weapon held by the subject to burst into flames. For the next 10 minutes, anyone struck by that weapon takes an additional 2d6 burn damage. This is a linked effect, and must penetrate DR separately.

Typical Casting: Greater Create Energy (6) + Altered Trait (Innate Attack (2d6 Burn; Melee 1,C -20%; Linked +10%)) (11) + Altered Trait (Apply Linked +10% to an existing melee attack worth up to [40] as an IA) (4) + Duration, 10 minutes (1) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs (3) = 75 energy (25x3).

Notes: This ritual works by giving a creature an Innate Attack with the fixed Linked modifier, then applying the Linked modifier to their weapon attacks using the Modifying Existing Damage rules described in Power Ups 4. Is there an easier way to price this by just powering up the weapon directly?

Flaming Sword
Inherent Modifiers: Bestows a Bonus, Damage rolls.

This spell, usually cast as a charm, causes a melee weapon (which must way 10 lbs. or less) held by the subject to burst into flames. For the next 10 minutes, anyone struck by that weapon takes an additional 1d of burning damage. This is a linked effect, and must penetrate DR separately.

Typical Casting: Greater Create Energy (6) + Bestows a Bonus, +4 to damage rolls (8) + Duration, 10 minutes (1). 45 energy (15x3).

Quote:
Thank you. I agree that making it a Greater effect puts it more in line with the other examples of Path of Energy combat spells. This was an attempt to make one with a Lesser effect.
Lesser effect damage spells are about working with what you got at hand (a explosion spell near a gas main or the like) or being sneaky (A internal effect doing damage of what a handheld weapon could do in the setting; a "burst appendix" or "stroke").

Quote:
Sorry. I tried, but wasn't sure about a couple things.
Hey, no one is perfect. And if you don't know you can't do. I try to help out 'round here as much as I can.

Become a Patron!
Old 07-18-2014, 09:12 AM   #57
Varyon

Rise from your grave!

Feeding Bolt
Spell Effects: Greater Transform Body/Undead
Inherent Modifiers: External Burning Damage + External Healing

This is a bolt of negative energy that strikes a target for 3d burning, and for any injury the target takes the caster is healed for an equal amount. This only works as advertised on the living - non-living targets are unaffected, and for the undead the energy is drained from the caster into the target!

Typical Casting: Greater Transform Body/Undead (8) + External Burning Damage 3d (0) + Healing 3d (0). 24 energy (8x3).

This has a few houserules hidden in it. First, it combines both Path of Body and Path of Undead, simply using the lesser of the two - I require it to have Path of Body for obvious reasons, and Path of Undead because feeding on the living is something the undead do, not the living (as a fortunate side effect, this also works as-is for undead casters). The second is using Burning damage rather than the generic Draining Ghostdancer has previously suggested. The final is probably the biggest - External Healing uses the same trend as External damage, functioning as a missile spell and being blocked by DR. In this case, at least, this is balanced just fine, because it's the target's armor that matters.
The reverse effect against undead might function as a modified Repercussive Ritual - it's 10.5 HP of damage (-105%) that only applies when used on the Undead (Undead Only is probably -10% or so as an Advantage Accessibility, so -90% for a Disadvantage), so a total of -10.5%, dropping cost to 22 energy. We'll assume the fact the target's armor applies and the target is actually healed by your ineptitude is a wash.

Positive Energy Bolt
Spell Effects: Greater Restore Body + Lesser Destroy Undead
Inherent Modifiers: External Burning Damage + External Healing

This is a bolt of positive energy that strikes a target for either 3d healing (if living) or 3d burning (if undead).

Typical Casting: Greater Restore Body (4) + External Healing 3d (0) + Lesser Destroy Undead (5) + External Burning Damage 3d (0). 27 energy (9x3).

External Healing again, but this time with potential for abuse - just cast it in your hand and touch yourself (or your ally) where you (or they) are least armored. If this is a problem (I personally think having armor with "healing ports" is an interesting concept), you can correct for this by requiring the spell to either only heal the hit location struck or use the guidelines for Large Area Injury and heal the whole body (or get crazy and actually divide up healing by hit location and have it need to deal with the armor in each part).
This is designed as a multi-use healing spell - you can use it to both heal your allies and harm your enemies, provided your enemies are undead.

Negative Energy Bolt

No need to spell out all the modifiers - this is Positive Energy Bolt, but using Greater Restore Undead and Lesser Destroy Body. An excellent spell to master for any necromancer - slay your foes and heal your hordes without needing to change grimoires.

Positive Energy Burst
Spell Effects: Greater Restore Body + Lesser Destroy Undead
Inherent Modifiers: External Burning Damage + External Healing + Area of Effect

This is a blast of positive energy that centers on the caster and spreads outward up to 10 yards, for either 3d healing (if living) or 3d burning (if undead). The caster can opt to center it elsewhere by paying for Range. Undead casters will want to do this or exclude themselves from the spell!

Typical Casting: Greater Restore Body (4) + External Healing 3d (0) + Lesser Destroy Undead (5) + External Burning Damage 3d (0) + Area of Effect, 10 yard radius (8). 51 energy (17x3).

This is an excellent spell while surrounded by the undead, and not too shabby otherwise, as it will heal anything living (including the caster) and damage anything undead. Use the Large Area Injury rules. There also exists a negative energy form, which I won't waste space posting but is even more useful for necromancers. A Feeding version may be possible, but would limit healing to the amount of energy you actually put into Healing (so if you do it as External Healing 3d and External Burning Damage 3d, regardless of how much damage you do in total you won't heal for more than 3d).

Negative Energy Blade
Spell Effects: Greater Restore Undead + Lesser Destroy Body
Inherent Modifiers: Natural Weapon, Burning Damage + Natural Weapon, Healing

This is an intangible Reach C,1 blade of negative energy that can harm the living and heal the undead, but cannot Parry - it is wielded with Shortsword and deals Sw or Thr Burn (thrusting is Tight Beam Burning) to the living, and restores Thr HP to the undead; DR affects it normally. If channeled through a wand or staff, it has the Reach of that weapon and adds on a yard - a Reach 1,2 blade (wand) is wielded with Broadsword, while a Reach 1-3 blade (staff) is wielded with Polearm.

Typical Casting: Greater Restore Undead (4) + Natural Weapon, Healing (Intangible +50%, Reach C,1 +30%, Cannot Parry -40%, Single -20%) (6) + Lesser Destroy Body (5) + Natural Weapon, Burning (Intangible +50%, Reach C,1 +30%, Swing/Thr +30%, Cannot Parry -40%, Single -20%, No Incendiary Effect -20%) (7). 66 energy (22x3).

This one's a doozy - I'm essentially just using Altered Traits pricing for the Natural Weapons, but as Healing under RPM is priced the same as Burning damage, I opted to price the Natural Weapon equivalent the same way. Whatever you use to prevent multiple Restore Body (Healing) rituals from getting out of hand (be that diminishing returns, an absolute cap on healing, or whatever) should be applied here. Naturally, a Positive Energy and Feeding version of the blade exist as well.

Analyze the Dead
Spell Effects: Greater Sense Body/Undead
Inherent Modifiers: Time-Spanning

This must be cast upon the remains of a once-living creature, and also works upon remains that are still moving (such as a zombie). The spell reveals how the subject looked in life, a general idea of what they did ("statesman," "wild predatory animal," "pet," "bandit," etc), the time and cause of death ("Blunt trauma to the skull 2 days ago, victim unawares" not "Colonel Mustard in the Conservatory with the Wrench"). It can positively identify the remains of anyone the caster knew personally. It also works on partial remains (such as a dessicated skeleton or severed finger), although it cannot reveal anything that occured after the remains became seperated from the rest of the body and the ritual must account for the subject's living body weight. If the remains were removed prior to the subject's death, it gives a general idea of the state of the subject at the instant of removal and when and how the remains were removed in place of time and cause of death ("Subject panicked and seriously wounded when this finger was crudely cut off").

Typical Casting: Greater Sense Body/Undead (2) + Subject Weight, 300 lb (3) + Time-Spanning, 1 month (5). 30 energy (10x3).

Fairly self-explanatory - need to know what killed that adventurer you came across, or confirm those remains actually do belong to your arch nemesis? This is the spell for you.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:13 AM   #58
Varyon

Gender Bender
Spell Effects: Lesser Transform Body
Inherent Modifiers: None

This transforms the subject into an opposite-gender version of themself, likely resulting in being mistaken for their own brother/sister. Eye color, hair color, and complexion remain unchanged, as does hair length (although style will typically be gender-appropriate). They retain all attributes (and this is not concealed - an ST 15 man who is subjected to the spell will look like an ST 15 woman), with those that are gender-specific simply changing to match their new gender (a Beautiful woman would become a Handsome man).
This change is a superficial one - a woman transformed into a man would not be under the influence of male hormones and would lack the ability to sire a child, for example.

Typical Casting: Lesser Transform Body (8) + Subject Weight, 300 lb (3) + Duration, 1 week (9). 20 energy (20x1).

I'm not entirely certain on this one. I mean, I know I've got the Effect right, but is Transform Body alone sufficient, or do you need some sort of Inherent Modifier? This is arguably far more effective than a mere bonus to disguise rolls, after all.
(The reason it appears in this list is that the necromancer the PC's will meet is referred to in a captured journal as James, and the PC's meet "him" as James, but later discover "James" is actually "Jill," using this spell to keep her identity secret).

Zombie Armor
Spell Effects: Lesser Create Undead + Lesser Control Undead + Lesser Strengthen Undead
Inherent Modifiers: Summoned

This transforms a suit of armor crafted from the remains of a single creature into a mindless zombie that simply mimics its wearer's actions, effectively making him stronger. This takes some getting used to for the wearer, imposing a -2 to DX until the wearer buys a Perk to be able to ignore this. Only the caster can benefit from this - a Greater Control Undead is necessary to create zombie armor for someone else. The created zombie can have DR, HP, and ST (=HP/4) equal to 1.5x those of the armor itself. See this thread for a discussion. The armor's bonuses only apply to limbs the armor actually covers.

Typical Casting: Lesser Create Undead (6) + Lesser Control Undead (5) + Lesser Strengthen Undead (3) + Summoned, 25% (4) + Duration, 1 day (7) + Subject Weight, 100 lb (2). 27 energy (27x1).

It's zombie powered armor! Zombie! Powered! Armor! What more do you need?

Zombie Cloak
Spell Effects: Lesser Create Undead + Greater Control Undead + Lesser Strengthen Undead
Inherent Modifiers: Summoned

This is similar to Zombie Armor, but is instead applied to a leather cloak. Rather than augmenting the caster's strength, this allows the wearer to use the cloak hands-free, using their own Cloak skill - but only if the caster has the Zombie Armor Proficiency Perk, from above. A typical, 3 lb Zombie Cloak is worth [12] and has the Zombie Armor Metatrait, lacks Can Kick on No Legs (Portable) and has Ham-Fisted 2, and has DR 1 (Tough Skin), ST 4 (BL 3.2 lb), and HP 16. The wearer can also use Cloak to catch themselves on a ledge or grab small objects (Cloak has Reach 1), and while hanging on a ledge is effectively 50 lb lighter.

Typical Casting: Lesser Create Undead (6) + Greater Control Undead (5) + Lesser Strengthing Undead (3) + Summoned, 5% (1) + Duration, 1 week (9) + Subject Weight, 10 lb (0). 72 energy (24x3).

This is also discussed a bit in the thread linked above. My necromancer is tiny, a mere 80 lb, so the cloak is able to (just barely) hold her up for a second or two while she finds purchase with her hands.

Familicide
Spell Effects: Greater Sense Body + Greater Destroy Body
Inherent Modifiers: Time-Spanning
Greater Effects: 2 (x5).

This spell traces the subject's bloodline back 800 years. Every living person who directly descended from those ancestors, or who has had a child who was directly descended from them, must immediately roll against HT-5 or die. The spell is intended to torture the subject by wiping out all of their blood relatives - for this purpose, it doesn't affect the subject (or, if applicable, the caster). The deaths of all those affected is directly visible to the subject. The spell has sufficient area to affect an entire Earth-sized planet, extending 500 miles above the surface.

Typical Casting: Greater Sense Body (2) + Time-Spanning, 800 years (13) + Greater Destroy Body (5) + Affliction, Heart Attack (60) + Area of Effect, 15,000,000 yards (43) + Excluded Targets, Subject and Caster (1) + Subject Weight, 300 lb (3) + Bestows a Penalty, Narrow, HT roll to resist this spell -5 (16). 715 energy (143x5).

This functions a bit different than the OOTS version, which kills everything directly related to the subject and everything directly related to those from step 1, with no time limits (notably, this version - spanning a mere 800 years - probably wouldn't have had certain unintended consequences). I figure a single Greater Sense Body effect is enough to find all the relatives and show their demise to the subject.
EDIT: Based on a critique from oneofmanynameless, I have discovered that casting this ritual today would probably target nearly every human being on the planet. Oops. Having it trace back only the original target's maternal and paternal lines and then killing everyone descended from those two would probably be more appropriate.
EDIT2: A better option is to just have it go back 4 generations or so. This drops Time-Spanning from 800 years to 4 generations or 274 years, whichever is less (when casting on races more long-lived than humans, for example). It works as I originally described, with an end cost of 710 energy (142x5). Assuming a family that basically just maintained itself (that is, each couple producing 2 reproducing offspring), this will affect 128 members of the current generation (and any children they have), 64 of the previous generation (plus their mates, for a total of another 128), 32 of the generation prior to that (plus mates, again), and 16 each of the generations prior to those.

Last edited by Varyon; 11-05-2014 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:31 AM   #59
nick_coffin

A request for critique on this ritual:

Quote:
Walking Possession Agreement
Spell Effects: Greater Control Mind + Lesser Sense Mind.
Inherent Modifiers: Altered Trait, Possession, No Memory Access.
Greater Effects: 1 (×3).

This ritual, if cast within 6 seconds of a person's death, restrains their soul from leaving this plane of existence and instead places it in the body of another living person. The effects are the same as for the advantage Possession (p. 75) with the No Memory Access limitation, further limited by the duration. Due to the high cost of the ritual and the short time span available in which to cast it, it is typically cast as a charm carried by someone willing to be possessed by the target.

Typical Casting: Greater Control Mind (5) + Lesser Sense Mind (2) + Lesser Control Magic (5) + Altered Trait, Possession, No Memory Access (90) + Duration, 12 hours (6) + Range, 2 yds (0). 324 energy (108×3).
It occurs to me that this is overpriced - Possession as an advantage can be used many times; this ritual gives the target one extra life. So perhaps it should cost much closer to the Extra Life advantage (Requires Body), with the features of Possession (the target adopts the body's ST, DX, HT, and physical advantages and disadvantages) as a feature? How would you price that?

Last edited by nick_coffin; 08-12-2014 at 08:55 AM.
nick_coffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:31 AM   #60
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_coffin View Post
How would you price that?
A starting point might be One Use Only (x1/5 price) on the Possession Advantage - that would drop the price to [18], for 108 energy. Actually, I'd call that the starting and ending point - you've got what you need, and the price is probably appropriate (in fact you might want to put more energy into it so it's harder to kill you by dispelling the ritual - I'd suggest a longer duration, just to be safe).

Tags
ghostly movement, magic, ritual path magic, rpm, thaumatology