Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 01-09-2020, 02:25 PM   #21
Skarg

Default Re: Hybrid options by talent - house rules

Intrestiing about the staff idea. It reminds me of staffs in GURPS Magic. i.e. GURPS Magic has another staff-based mechanic for extending the range of spells which either are -1 per hex, or require touch. That is, a staff counts as an extension of the wizard's touch, and could be a couple of hexes long, so if you can touch a target with a staff as part of a casting (which does require a separate to-hit roll), it has no range penalty.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 02:44 AM   #22
Steve Plambeck

Huh, I had no idea the GURPS staff had rules so similar to my old group's house rules. Wizard's staff rules were the very first thing we ever modified, and had done so by early 1979. It made them more like Swiss army knives for sorcerers :)

I admit I kinda shudder at the idea the new rules call for FIVE Staff spells. It seems very unnecessary to me. And you still can't light a cigarette with one, can you?
Old 01-10-2020, 12:20 PM   #23
Skarg

My main issues with the new staff spells are:

* It kind of makes it dumb to be a wizard without a staff (which would embarass many existing wizards in my existing Cidri campaign).

* The staff zap powers have unique new powerful abilities that I'm not sure I really like enough to want to add them.

* The combat abilities are included for free with the staff mana abilities that most/all wizards should/will want to get, so there's no reason and no way to be a wizard with staff mana who does not have the staff zap powers.

I'm thinking I want to make the staff zap powers their own spells that are not needed to get the staff mana abilities (and that might be somewhat rare spells to be known and/or available to learn).
Old 01-10-2020, 05:03 PM   #24
Steve Plambeck

I'm in agreement with Skarg on all of the above. The Staff psychic zap feels like a whole new branch of magic, something from another game that just doesn't fit here. It's just muddling things and to no great advantage, as demonstrated by some confused questions about it spotted in other threads.

I see no reason to not just add the Mana stat to the basic, starting staff, and let the amounts that can be stored vary by the abilities or attributes of the wizards who own them.

The basic staff should be an interesting toy, and if it's interesting enough we hardly need more Staff spells at all.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:03 PM   #25
FireHorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plambeck View Post
I see no reason to not just add the Mana stat to the basic, starting staff, and let the amounts that can be stored vary by the abilities or attributes of the wizards who own them.
I don't have decades of experience with TFT on which to base the opinion, but that approach strikes me as the most sensible. I'm not a big fan of the whole Staff schtick in the first place.
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 10:56 PM   #26
hcobb

How is a wizard to take a defend option without a stick in hand and how is he to cast spells without both hands free?
Old 01-10-2020, 11:44 PM   #27
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
How is a wizard to take a defend option without a stick in hand and how is he to cast spells without both hands free?
He's not.

What they do is like THIS.
Or like THIS.

If your wizard's plan for survival includes much Defending, he might want to re-think his tactics.
Old 01-11-2020, 08:40 PM   #28
Steve Plambeck

Quote:
...and how is [a wizard] to cast spells without both hands free?
Huh?!? A Staff in hand never prevented a wizard from casting a spell, not in any version of the rules.

I seem to recall casting a spell from a book requires both hands free, but that is a special case. You don't use a book in combat.

I would even house rule a wizard could still hold the staff while using a book or scroll. Maybe it's just tucked under one arm, or it's between the palm of the hand and the spine of the book. Individual spell books are a tiny number of pages and could probably be one-handed anyway. I don't think SJ just added the mana stat to the Staff without intending the wizard to be able to hold the thing when needing to draw on its power.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:55 AM   #29
hcobb

It seems that a lot of wizards get by with a dagger on their belt as their mana battery. (Including the first pic above.)
Old 01-13-2020, 12:53 AM   #30
Steve Plambeck

Quote:
It seems that a lot of wizards get by with a dagger on their belt as their mana battery. (Including the first pic above.)
Yeah sure, but if the mana battery is your Staff, or even if the Staff is just a regular Staff, there is no requirement to put it down to cast a spell.