Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 08-23-2019, 10:43 AM   #1
hal

Default CYBERPUNK RED and GURPS

Hi Folks,
Just curious - has anyone picked up the new "Jumpstart" version of Cyberpunk with an eye towards seeing how well it might be worked for a GURPS campaign?

Just curious.
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 12:00 PM   #2
Black Leviathan

Default Re: CYBERPUNK RED and GURPS

I remember back when the first Cyberpunk book came out feeling like the rules were really clunky and badly balanced for the kind of games we wanted to run. After a few years of adapting cybernetics and dark future settings for GURPS I can't picture going back to another system for Cyberpunk. I'm curious to see what they've changed for 2077 but I don't know if that curiosity would transition into changes to how we do Cyberpunk.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 01:29 PM   #3
thalcos

The -70% (IIRC) limitation for "obviously looks like cybernetics" killed all the games I tried to play of the original GURPS Cyberpunk. Everyone played walking terminators, and no GM was skilled enough to figure out a way to re-bottle that genie. Terrible game design that actually encouraged players to design characters AGAINST the genre's tropes. That would be like including "obviously magical" -70% limitation in a fantasy game.

I was so happy to see 4th edition include a simple "unnatural appearance" modifier as a flat disadvantage.
thalcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 08:03 PM   #4
hal

What was perhaps not used was the social penalty for obvious cybernetics. GMing is like any other skill. At first, the GM has mistakes they make early on, and progressively get better over time (hopefully). Me? I don't much like the route 4e took with the maintenance rules, and should have retained MORE of the 3e (ok technically 2e) guidelines. Should the "obvious cybernetic" been fixed? Probably.

Overall, I'm content to use the older rules for cybernetics over the newer rules in GURPS ULTATECH, and have no problem revising or house ruling against RAW. Hardware (ie computers) limit robotic IQ, and can not be improved via experience points. Then again, I took the time and effort to update GURPS ROBOTS to 4e standards.

In the end? My cyberpunk games utilize R. Talsorian Games "Night City", combined with GURPS VEHECLES, GURPS ROBOTS, as well as GURPS 4e. I've made some effort with some of the Cyberpunk 2020 material as well. Keeps me off the streets.

;)
hal is offline   Reply With Quote