Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 01-21-2014, 09:49 AM   #1
Zanatar

Default New to Munchkin.. have a few questions

First off, I want to say how much fun this series is.

I was introduced to it, for the first time this x-mas, as my friend bought Munchkin Zombies. My son and I loved it.

I'm a huge crpg fan, and from the old days AD&D.. so I figured the original Munchkin version would be even more for me. We bought it and as a Family (my wife, Son and Daughter), played it and we all love it.

I don't plan on mixing Munchkin genres just yet (Zombies, super heroes, etc) I'd rather first stick to original Munchkin and work on it's expansions for now.
We will probably start one at a time, with Munchkin 2 and eventually up to Munchkin 8 in time.

I have a few questions:

1) Given how I plan on playing.. would you all, knowing what you know about each expansion.. suggest I get them out of order and not 2 through 8? If so, what order would you suggest, and more importantly why?

2) Once I do start buying the expansions for Munchkin 2 through 8. How exactly do I mix them? Do I literally just throw all the cards together?
Won't that make it so I will no longer know which cards are related to which expansion? How will I know how to separate them back to there own expansion box?

3) I'd also imagine once I have all 8 expansions, I mean doing the math, assuming each expansion is 112 cards.. and the original being 168 cards. that's 952 cards. That's quite hard to keep in two stacks of Door cards and Treasure cards. They would be quite tall. How do you guys do it? Do you have that many cards in both those stacks?

Thanks, Zanatar.

Last edited by Zanatar; 01-21-2014 at 09:53 AM.
Zanatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:12 AM   #2
Brf

Default Re: New to Munchkin.. have a few questions

1) If you get them out of order (other than 6), some Races and Classes will be rare. For instance, if you get 3 before 2, you will have only one "Orc" race card.

2). Mix them all together. Each expansion has a unique symbol on the bottom, so you can separate them after your game if you want to.

3). Most players use multiple Door and Treasure stacks after shuffling all together. Put each stack in different spots of the table, and players can use the closest stack.
Brf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:12 AM   #3
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanatar View Post
1) Given how I plan on playing.. would you all, knowing what you know about each expansion.. suggest I get them out of order and not 2 through 8? If so, what order would you suggest, and more importantly why?
Disclaimer: there's no REQUIRED order, if you don't mind having more of some Class/Race cards than others. Having said that:

* I would start with 2 and 3, in that order.
* After that, you have options. You can keep going with 4 and 5, if you want. You can add 6 at any time; it's independent of the expansions that came before, and in fact it gets diluted pretty easily if you just mix it into a bunch of other cards. (There are rules for avoiding dilution in that set.) 7 is designed to make larger card sets work a little more smoothly, and it's one you can add in pretty much any time after adding 2 and 3. (It was originally designed to let you mix different sets, such as Munchkin and Star Munchkin, but it works just as well for dealing with the huge piles of basic Munchkin cards you get once you start adding expansions.) 8 will work best with at least one of 4 and 5, although it won't be awful on its own.
* You also might want to pick up some of the boosters. Quite a few older ones have gone out of print as standalone sets, but you can get compilation packs: Holiday Surprise contains the first four Christmas/holiday boosters, and Game Changers has four packs that each add a little wrinkle to the way the game plays. Holiday Surprise is widely available; Game Changers is only at Barnes & Noble.

Quote:
2) Once I do start buying the expansions for Munchkin 2 through 8. How exactly do I mix them? Do I literally just throw all the cards together?
Won't that make it so I will no longer know which cards are related to which expansion? How will I know how to separate them back to there own expansion box?
Every expansion set has its own icon; just separate the cards by the icons at the bottom.

Quote:
3) I'd also imagine once I have all 8 expansions, I mean doing the math, assuming each expansion is 112 cards.. and the original being 168 cards. that's 952 cards. That's quite hard to keep in two stacks of Door cards and Treasure cards. They would be quite tall. How do you guys do it? Do you have that many cards in both those stacks?
Our official recommendation is to shuffle all the cards together and then only put the top part of each deck on the table. If you burn through those, add more from the reserve. You can also split the decks and put each part at one end of the table, if your table is long enough, and then people can draw from whichever deck they want.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:35 AM   #4
Zanatar

Thanks for the replies guys.. great advice! :)

I'm looking forward to playing them all. I'll probably try my first mixing of munchkin games, once my friend who has Munchkin Zombies comes over with his copy.. We can try mixing them together and see what happens ;)
Zanatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:41 AM   #5
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

You can download the Munchkin 7 rules (and all the other rules!) on our website. The M7 rules have good advice for combining sets, even if you don't use the M7 cards at all.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:54 PM   #6
xenotaff

What about mixing base game, lets say expansions 2, 3, 4 and munchkin gets promoted and the dragon booster? Can they be mixed without any problem?
xenotaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:02 PM   #7
Rev1L

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenotaff View Post
What about mixing base game, lets say expansions 2, 3, 4 and munchkin gets promoted and the dragon booster? Can they be mixed without any problem?
Sure no problems at all with the base, expansions and Dragon booster. They were all made to go together and work really well.

Get's Promoted booster may have some issues. It's a mix of cards from different sets so not all of the backs are the same. Most are the original back, but I can't remember the exact breakdown there are at least 4 of them. So if you care about matching backs that is an issue. Also the ones with different backs may not apply to the game. I know "Whim of the Elder Gods" card is included and that has a Cthulhu back and requires at least one Cthulhu die to be useful. I can't remember if the other cards have anything that is specific to their sets.