Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 11-03-2019, 02:59 PM   #11
DAT

Default Re: Alternative Traveller Setting Ideas

Traveller The Fleet (reskinned Battlestar Galactica)
Description: Fleeing a great disaster of their home star, sublight ships of humans settled several worlds. These human colonies initially lost their starship technology, and had to adapt to their individual worlds. In time, the technology was recovered, and Jump Drive discovered by one of the colonies, who sought out the other colonies. Humans on the other worlds had changed, some of them significantly. After some military actions, diplomacy leads to the formation of a loose Human Confederation, and trade between the colonies becomes common. Then “The Aliens” attack. The Colonial Forces are initially barely able to hold back “The Aliens”, but slowly reach a stalemate. The war with “The Aliens” rages for decades. Then “The Aliens” finally offered a truce, and end to the war. The war weary Colonial leaders and many military leaders are ready to listen.
PCs are the Confederation Military.
/Spoiler Alert: It is a trap, “The Aliens” will destroy much of the Colonial Fleet and nuke the human home colony worlds. A rag tag fleet of human survivors will make it away from the devastation, and head to the long lost Home World, and then the lost colony of “Sol”. /
Adventure Themes: Military with some Exploration.
Races: Variable Humans, with Aliens.
Technology: As standard Traveller, but a few variations and twists.
Key Differences: No Ancients, some modification to various Humaniti backstories (removing Ancient interference, and applying alternative backgrounds).
DAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 12:35 PM   #12
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

500 worlds feels overwhelming for me to GM, but if a good GM offered it I think It'd be a great way to explore a universe that is normally intimidatingly large. The idea has a lot of merit.

The Starflight game pulls in what I think the classic space-faring adventure should be: reconnecting planets after a disaster.

I suspect that most big science fiction franchises can have a traveller version of them. A star-wars inspired universe has psionics and a massive empire fighting itself. With the distances involved and increased isolation, powerful space knights become more important, not less.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:51 AM   #13
jason taylor

Traveller Space Faerie

The regular assumptions of Traveller are here. But behind the scenes is a fantasy. Not one like Yrth but a will of the wisp one where Strange Things lurk whereever Strange Things like to lurk. Essentially an Urban Fantasy

It would be like Buffy, Haven, or some parts of Narnia. Or some teen novels.

Use any Traveller book plus Faerie. Although Starports has a high usefulness as it is useful to construct a Mysterious Location.

Traveller Noir: Bogie Goes to Space

Traveller Mystery: This is not so much an alternative as an extrapolation. Add Mysteries plus Traveller and stir it as a Cozy, a Hard-boiled, or a Procedural.

Basically Traveller is like the base of a cocktail and can support a lot of mixes.

Tags
alternative settings