Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-10-2019, 04:02 PM   #21
jason taylor

Default Re: Disguising a weapon as a toy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verjigorm View Post
This is generally an implausible idea, atleast in America

2) Given the way police handle life or death situations, having an object in your hand and acting in a way that makes a police officer fear for his or her safety will get you shot. When the shooting is reviewed, there is a clear doctrine of including the police officer's awareness AT THE TIME of the shooting. So if you take your hand out of your pocket and the cop thinks you've got a pistol in it, he'll shoot you, and there's a good chance that he will not be prosecuted.
So If:

A) You are a bounty-hunter pursuing a jumper in a bad neighborhood

and B) You get pulled over

You should say C) "Officer I have a permit for that piece and I need it for my job. I am not moving, you can check if you like"

Last edited by jason taylor; 06-10-2019 at 05:46 PM.
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:38 PM   #22
Verjigorm

Location: Charlotte, North Caroline, United States of America, Earth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
So If:

A) You are a bounty-hunter pursuing a jumper in a bad neighborhood

and B) You get pulled over

You should say C) "Officer I have a permit for that, piece and I need it for my job. I am not moving, you can check if you like"
Yup. First thing you should do is shut off your car, turn down the radio, put the keys on the dash, and avoid any movements that can be construed as reaching for a weapon or hiding a weapon. Keep your hands on top of the steering wheel. Not all CCW permits require you to disclose to the officer when stopped, but it's generally considered a best practice to do so. Don't do anything without the officer asking you to, and I like to tell them, clearly, what I am doing and ask for their permission.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:16 PM   #23
Varyon

Quote:
Yup. First thing you should do is shut off your car, turn down the radio, put the keys on the dash, and avoid any movements that can be construed as reaching for a weapon or hiding a weapon. Keep your hands on top of the steering wheel. Not all CCW permits require you to disclose to the officer when stopped, but it's generally considered a best practice to do so. Don't do anything without the officer asking you to, and I like to tell them, clearly, what I am doing and ask for their permission.
I was recently pulled over while traveling out of state, and the officer needed me to wait with him in his vehicle while he ran my information. While I was careful not to make any suspicious movements or similar, he informed me of a potentially-lethal error I had made. While pulled over, I had to get out my wallet (which I did slowly and carefully) to show my license, and as putting the wallet back in my pocket while sitting wasn't comfortable, I opted to wait until I was standing and outside of my car. Due to the angle, what he saw was me get out of my vehicle with a black object in my hand, partially concealed from his view. He realized quickly that it was likely my wallet and not a pistol (confirmed when I put it in my back pocket instead of turning and trying to shoot him), but there was the potential there for things to go south very quickly.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:40 PM   #24
Flyndaran
Untagged

I've a feeling that many of these concerns and suggestions are U.S. specific, or at the very least not at all universal.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:49 PM   #25
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I've a feeling that many of these concerns and suggestions are U.S. specific, or at the very least not at all universal.
Actually, they're sort of inherent to firearms, though somewhat dependent on their prevalence. As a police officer, you don't want to get shot. Letting someone draw a gun greatly increases your odds of getting shot. Letting someone get out something that might be a gun also increases your odds -- but by less, because of course the object might be something else -- and of course you also don't want to shoot innocent people.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:51 PM   #26
Verjigorm

Location: Charlotte, North Caroline, United States of America, Earth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I think that may be right. In the US, there's a widespread amount of civilian ownership of firearms, and very few limitations on them in comparison to most European nations. So if you see something that looks like a gun, it's a short thought chain to: "maybe that's a gun", while in european nations, you're far more likely to see some kind of not-quite-a-gun.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:04 PM   #27
YankeeGamer

Weapon need not mean gun. Leaving explosive toys around is an old trick.
YankeeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:59 PM   #28
malloyd

Quote:
If you want to disguise a firearm, you should conceal it in some sort of innocuous object that will not raise suspicions. Something that looks like a firearm can and will get you in a lot of trouble, possibly even dead.
What sort a situation can you be in where having your weapon look like a toy is a better option than having it look like absolutely nothing because you are carrying it in a closed bag?

If there is no potential target here you leave it in the bag. If there is a potential target here, the security people probably know that too and aren't likely to refrain from shooting you on the chance "it might not be a real gun".

I suppose if you are attacking something nobody would expect anybody to it might buy you an extra instant of hesitation, but you already have surprise, and anyway you could just shoot through the bag and gain as much or more extra time before they notice the threat.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:27 PM   #29
Kale

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeGamer View Post
Weapon need not mean gun. Leaving explosive toys around is an old trick.
What about hiding a metal edge inside a wooden training sword or toy sword? The trainer could be a nasty way to assassinate a noble; offer to spar with them, using apparently 'safe' blunt swords but yours has a concealed edge...
Old 06-10-2019, 09:47 PM   #30
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale View Post
What about hiding a metal edge inside a wooden training sword or toy sword? The trainer could be a nasty way to assassinate a noble; offer to spar with them, using apparently 'safe' blunt swords but yours has a concealed edge...
And then you get executed, because it's obvious you assassinated the guy and everyone knows who you are?