Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 03-16-2019, 05:31 PM   #101
Ulairi

Default Re: DFRPG Monsters 2 and reprint of the Box set on Kickstarter now!

It's funded!
Ulairi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 06:01 PM   #102
gkzhukov

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
Well, I've got an article for them: "31 reasons why you want to pick up Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game (and fast!)"

Link: http://www.gamesdiner.com/31
Splendid work, tbone. And the KS has been funded. Time to get some add-ons and reach some stretch goals!
Old 03-16-2019, 10:32 PM   #103
Joe

Big cheers all round!
Old 03-16-2019, 11:40 PM   #104
Purple Snit

Supported the Monsters physical book (I already have the boxed set), chipped in + $20 for an add-on, and I'm running a campaign with three new RPG players (and two old-timers) who really like the system. If I can promote more, I'll do it.
Purple Snit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:35 AM   #105
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGFan View Post
I hope so.

A convincing success for DFRPG would support my request for further products like:
  • A Cyberpunk Roleplaying Game boxed set powered by GURPS
  • A Science Fiction Roleplaying Game boxed set powered by GURPS
  • A Horror Roleplaying Game boxed set powered by GURPS
  • ….

You get the idea
I'll give my standard disclaimer that I have no idea of SJ Games internal decision making processes. I could perhaps add that neither does anyone other than SJ Games and neither do I really want to.

But I remember when the first DFRPG Kickstarter occurred and immediately fans on the forums went on to talking about the next thing, Space, Action whatever. When what was needed immediately afterwards was more support* for DFRPG to make it successful in the first place.

We are getting a new product now and it looks to be successful if not a run away gangbuster procuct. I'd say more support* for it is the next step.

*And I mean support as fans getting it into people's hands more so than SJ Games releasing more stuff for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Reply hazy, try again.

We haven't decided yet. We certainly won't give the content away – it cost us money to create and we'll want to recoup. But it's anyone's guess what form it will be sold in: All in some standard Warehouse 23 PDF, all in some future Kickstarter item, individually as shiny folder/bookmark thingies, auctioned off to the highest bidder and printed on silk . . . I have no idea.
More than happy to pay for a PDF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
And there is the largest unspoken truth of many roleplaying game players and GMs. They aspire to play or GM a game, and instead have become collectors of books who enjoy reading about a thing. Life, as always, gets in the way, and what was a lapse of weeks in playing becomes months . . . and, for some, becomes years.

And as more and more fans of a particular game become readers, and not active players, their feedback becomes more and more picky and niche, zeroing in on the desire for rules for everything and increased complexity.

And it is not just roleplaying games. Other games suffer from the same issue; witness the boardgame shelfies phenomenon for another example of collectors who aspire to be players.

I wish there were a way to divide comments/feedback on games into two camps:

* I read the game and have opinions.
* I played the game and have opinions.

The two do not always provide feedback that overlaps and, many times, one will ask for more complexity as the other just wants to play the game.
I'd say those two groups overlap more than you think.

When I had no one to play with I bought more GURPS books. Now I play and demo fortnightly I buy a lot less books (for one thing I already have more than enough) and spend more on other gaming costs (entry fees, minis, and so on).

So I'm a worse individual customer for SJ Games, but have a better understanding of the rules in practice and promote the game more than I ever have.

Having said that, I probably still spend more on GURPS than all my players combined even if I play about the same amount of games as any one of them.

Among my players there are those who play DFRPG a lot, but probably don't have a good grasp of the rules at at all, they just won’t read them. Someone who read the rules cover to cover would have a much better understanding.

Some of that is the nature of RPGs where GMs buy the books and know the rules (best). Generally we seem to stick with the one or two systems too.

Board Games and other table top games are a different story. Many people I know have shelves full of them, but they rotate new games in and old ones out. Generally they may not play an individual game, especially one they own, but they play new games frequently, weekly if not more so. They keep up to date on the new types of rules and are very knowledgeable about how to play those types of games.

Last edited by lachimba; 03-17-2019 at 12:44 AM.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 01:25 AM   #106
tbone

Glad to hear of the funding. Special thanks to everyone at SJG who took the time to make it happen.

I know nobody on this forum needs the reminder, but:

Now that the project is funded, promote it all the more! Newcomers mean more future expansions (we hope), and more people to play those expansions with.

Same for The Citadel at Norðvorn: It's already funded, but the more the merrier.

It'd be great to see these campaigns pump up the number of players. (Really, I have nothing against D&D and Pathfinder and the like; I just think DFRPG is a better game, and would like to see due reward for its creators, and more people coming in to game with us.)

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 04:15 AM   #107
finn

Just pledged $64 for the printed book, dice, base, and some DF PDFs I did not own yet. After supporting the original kickstarter at "I want it All", and picking up the DF themed Pyramid issues, there were not that many stuff I could justify supporting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
I wish there were a way to divide comments/feedback on games into two camps:

* I read the game and have opinions.
* I played the game and have opinions.

The two do not always provide feedback that overlaps and, many times, one will ask for more complexity as the other just wants to play the game.
One problem is that GURPS books are generally well written and an enjoyable read in itself even if you do not play them.
finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:38 AM   #108
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beoferret View Post
At some point we'll reach peak Munchkin. I sincerely hope that SJG, with our (not overly relied on) help, is able to build their rpg offerings (and the customer base for them) back up enough that GURPS could play a stronger role in maintaining a diverse product portfolio. Thus spake a GURPS fanboy (who did back the DFRPG Monsters 2 Kickstarter, in case anyone is wondering).
The thing is that nothing you could do with a print rpg is going to come anywhere close to the potential of Munchkin, a game whose central joke has escaped from the tabletop world into the universe of MMOs, a potential market *orders of magnitude* bigger than tabletop RPGs. I'm not much of a Munchkin fan, but I think it's pretty obvious where the smart marketing target is. Does Munchkin have an online version deal yet?

I'd like to keep GURPS profitable enough to keep it alive too, but it's never going to be part of a serious alternative to Munchkin. The tabletop rpg market is small, lots smaller than a lot of gamers seem to think it is. Your odds are better backing entirely new card or board games - a middling mainstream success is likely to bring in more cash than a smash hit rpg.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:08 AM   #109
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Funded and new stretch goals revealed:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/2449668
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:58 AM   #110
philreed
I do stuff and things.

And a new stretch goal:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/2449686
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote