Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 12-04-2015, 01:42 AM   #1
runarm

Default Is JTAS still going?

Is JTAS (jtas.sjgames.com) still being updated? How often do they publish new material? And are the archives still available to subscribers?
I've been thinking of getting back into Traveller and I used to be a subscriber so I was thinking whether or not it would be worth it to subscribe again.

R.
runarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 05:58 AM   #2
tjoneslo

Default Re: Is JTAS still going?

The SJGames Traveller license expires at the end of this year. The have been not allowing new subscriptions for several months now. There are plans to have the archives (and the GT books) available sometime next year.
tjoneslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:20 AM   #3
runarm

Ok, good to know. Thanks for the info.
Is anything known about when and from there the archive and the GT books will be available? I'm totally out of the loop on which sites/forums to follow these days for good information on Traveller happenings
Any help would be appreciated :)

R.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:19 PM   #4
cptbutton

Note that you can still buy GURPS TRAVELLER ebooks for the rest of 2015. If you have bought them by then, you will be able to download them again in 2016 and beyond.

There is one GURPS Traveller book still available in paper form, GURPS Traveller Classic: Planetary Survey 1 - Kamsii

I don't know if the 5 paper copies will still be available until they run out.

As mentioned above, the GURPS books may become available again somhow in future. Or maybe not.
cptbutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 09:50 AM   #5
runarm

I am aware that I can still get them, well, through the end of the month. PRoblem is that it's going to cost me around $200, for PDFs of books that I already own, so I'm not keen on buying the PDFs.
Additionally, if the JTAS material gets released as a collection, and the G:T books along with them, I wouldn't have wanted to splurge on the PDFs just to buy them again - and so I'm trying to dig up any information I can.

R.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:54 AM   #6
tjoneslo

From what I've been told, Far Future Enterprises gets the copyright and archives of JTAS and all the GURPS books at the start of next year. From there, the plan is to release the collection on a CD-ROM like the other collections of Traveller books. When the release occurs is unclear. Based upon Marc's previous release schedules it will be at best sometime in the summer.

Beyond that I know nothing more.
tjoneslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 04:11 PM   #7
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjoneslo View Post
From what I've been told, Far Future Enterprises gets the copyright and archives of JTAS and all the GURPS books at the start of next year. From there, the plan is to release the collection on a CD-ROM like the other collections of Traveller books. When the release occurs is unclear. Based upon Marc's previous release schedules it will be at best sometime in the summer.

Beyond that I know nothing more.
I can confirm that there has been discussion of whether it's practical or even possible to migrate this particular subforum over to COTI. It's possible, but a lot of work, and potentially transfers data (usernames linked to emails and possibly real names) that may not be appropriate to transfer.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:54 AM   #8
Drifter

Is there a legal, contractual reason SJGames can't keep this forum here? Or financial?

I was really disappointed at the loss of the old Brubek's forums. A ton of fan and author information vanished when that was unplugged. I would hate to see this forum go away, there is a wealth of ideas, discussions and data that can be mined here. Even if it was only set up as an archive.
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 07:39 PM   #9
thrash

If there is, I suspect it derives from this:

"By posting any item to one of our discussion areas, you grant your permission for Steve Jackson Games to archive it permanently, and allow public or private access to it, as we see fit. By maintaining these discussion areas, we acquire a "compilation copyright" on their contents."

It may not be worth their effort to disentangle the ownership of Traveller-related material after the license sunsets.
thrash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 12:07 PM   #10
Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrash View Post
If there is, I suspect it derives from this:

"By posting any item to one of our discussion areas, you grant your permission for Steve Jackson Games to archive it permanently, and allow public or private access to it, as we see fit. By maintaining these discussion areas, we acquire a "compilation copyright" on their contents."

It may not be worth their effort to disentangle the ownership of Traveller-related material after the license sunsets.
I'm no lawyer but that sounds about like what I expected. If it wasn't worth the effort to port over the Brubeck's forum it certainly is not worth the effort to give this forum over to someone else, even if it were technically possible. Add in legal issues and this forum goes good bye.
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jtas, traveller