Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 01-12-2012, 12:19 PM   #1
Onewingedangel22

Default Dying while helping and my turn is the next turn

So this Christmas I was first introduced to Munckin by my brother. It was my gift to him since hed been begging to play it since he was introduced to it over the summer. As of today we've gotten 8 more people addicted to the game! But we all had this question:

If I'm helping the person to my right in combat and die, my turn is the next turn. Do I come back to life immediately and draw brand new cards right then and there? Its not common but some of us have used it as a powerful strategy when offering help against a monster with death as a penalty. Is this legal?
Onewingedangel22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
snarky

Default Re: Dying while helping and my turn is the next turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onewingedangel22 View Post
So this Christmas I was first introduced to Munckin by my brother. It was my gift to him since hed been begging to play it since he was introduced to it over the summer. As of today we've gotten 8 more people addicted to the game! But we all had this question:

If I'm helping the person to my right in combat and die, my turn is the next turn. Do I come back to life immediately and draw brand new cards right then and there? Its not common but some of us have used it as a powerful strategy when offering help against a monster with death as a penalty. Is this legal?
Yes, you come back to life at the beginning of the next player's turn. If you're the next player, then you come back to life and draw your cards at the beginning of your turn.
snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
Wulf684

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onewingedangel22 View Post

It's a difficult strategy.
First of all, you always have to try to flee. (From the FAQ, you can only hope for a bad result.)
Secondly, the player has to ask people to help in combat. He may simply not ask you for help, because he "senses" that you will try to die in that combat.
And third, I'm not entirely sure it's allowed to help out when you will lose the combat. Although it seems very munchkinly to offer help and lying about cards in your hand that can win you the combat. Haven't found anything (yet) about it in the rules/FAQ.
Wulf684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
PK

The only time that's a good idea is when you have nothing useful in your hand or on the table, because you lose everything except your Race, Class, etc. But if dying would suit you, then yeah, that's legal. You die on his turn, then come back on the next turn (which happens to be your turn) and because it's your turn, you draw two of each card.

So basically, you're trading your entire hand, every item you have, and every other benefit (except Race/Class/etc.) for the chance to draw four cards. That's rarely a good thing, but if it works for you, rock on. :)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:29 PM   #5
Sigma88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
The only time that's a good idea is when you have nothing useful in your hand or on the table, because you lose everything except your Race, Class, etc. But if dying would suit you, then yeah, that's legal. You die on his turn, then come back on the next turn (which happens to be your turn) and because it's your turn, you draw two of each card.

So basically, you're trading your entire hand, every item you have, and every other benefit (except Race/Class/etc.) for the chance to draw four cards. That's rarely a good thing, but if it works for you, rock on. :)

I thought you draw 4 cards from each pile?
Sigma88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:12 PM   #6
goodbunny2000

You come back to life immediately after dying, you can help other players and do anything you could normally, but you don't draw a new hand (4 cards from each deck) till your following turn after dying, in this case right away.

You certainly can help someone, even if you can't beat the Monster together. In fact if you're losing to a Monster and you can take a player down with you (Kneepads of Allure, Enthrall, etc.) why wouldn't you?

And dying can be totally advantageous (especially if your turn is next,) I've killed myself immediately before the start of my turn with a Dying Curse many times. Certain cards can make this even more advantageous, such as Tough power in Zombies or the Last Laugh.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:18 PM   #7
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma88 View Post
I thought you draw 4 cards from each pile?
You do. Eight cards total.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:45 AM   #8
Onewingedangel22

Thanks. A friend of mine when looking at the faq had interpreted it as (for instance) if monster A has a weakness to fire (-4) and monster B doesnt, it inherits monster A's -4 for a total of -8.

On the contrary, I had interpreted the rule as a general statement of 2 monsters levels are considered one attack power so the -4 is applied to the overall combat and is NOT a reason to treat the monsters separately (pretty much just a reinforcement of combat with monsters like players is a totaling of strengths into 1 v 1 no matter how many cards/players).

Last edited by Onewingedangel22; 01-14-2012 at 12:56 AM.
Onewingedangel22 is offline   Reply With Quote