Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 11-11-2011, 01:11 PM   #1
goodbunny2000

Default Carrying but not using Steeds, Ships, Vehicals, Sidekicks, etc.

Ok, so Steeds, Ships, Vehicles and Sidekicks (with a value,) all follow normal item rules except when they don't (BIG item restrictions, can't have more than one, etc.) but can you turn one of these cards sideways to indicate that you don't get a bonus from it IF you only have one? This would be for the purpose of trading and generally getting them out of your hand.

Also, if you can, do they still carry themselves (ie. do they count against your BIG item total?)
Old 11-11-2011, 01:55 PM   #2
snarky

Default Re: Carrying but not using Steeds, Ships, Vehicals, Sidekicks, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbunny2000 View Post
Ok, so Steeds, Ships, Vehicles and Sidekicks (with a value,) all follow normal item rules except when they don't (BIG item restrictions, can't have more than one, etc.) but can you turn one of these cards sideways to indicate that you don't get a bonus from it IF you only have one? This would be for the purpose of trading and generally getting them out of your hand.

Also, if you can, do they still carry themselves (ie. do they count against your BIG item total?)
Why would you want to put the Steed or Vehicle, or Ship, or Sidekick or Minion in play but not get its bonus? I'm a a little confused on that part of the question.

The rules answer your question about BIG items and steeds/vehicles - they are BIG but do not count against your limit.
snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:46 PM   #3
StormyWaters

For argument sake, say you know your opponent has Spell of Slurping, and your steed makes you 13 combat strength.

Cthulhu: 1, 2, 3.

Munchkin Homebrew!

Illuminati: Deluxe, BFD, Y2K, MAD, Brainwash
StormyWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:49 PM   #4
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

You cannot have a Steed/Ship/Vehicle in play that you cannot use at that moment (unless, of course, you use Cheat!, which means you CAN use it at that moment). Hireling-type cards also follow that rule, even if they happen to be Items.

This will be added to the FAQ as an official ruling.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:52 PM   #5
StormyWaters

Right, but that's not the question. The question is, can you have one in play, legally, but choose not to use it? Turn it sideways, no bonus, but otherwise legal.

Munchkin Homebrew!

Old 11-11-2011, 03:59 PM   #6
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormyWaters View Post
Right, but that's not the question. The question is, can you have one in play, legally, but choose not to use it? Turn it sideways, no bonus, but otherwise legal.
An interesting question, though I'm having difficulty picturing the circumstances that would prompt you to do this.

He mentions trading, but I didn't think items had to be unequipped prior to trading them. And if I'm playing a Steed to get it out of my hand, I'd generally rather get the bonus from it...
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 04:00 PM   #7
StormyWaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
An interesting question, though I'm having difficulty picturing the circumstances that would prompt you to do this.

He mentions trading, but I didn't think items had to be unequipped prior to trading them. And if I'm playing a Steed to get it out of my hand, I'd generally rather get the bonus from it...
Like I said, simply for purposes of the argument, what if you knew someone had Spell of Slurping, and the steed was putting you at 13?

Munchkin Homebrew!

Old 11-11-2011, 04:09 PM   #8
Mister Ed

Quote:
Like I said, simply for purposes of the argument, what if you knew someone had Spell of Slurping, and the steed was putting you at 13?
Oops. Somehow I skipped over that post. I guess is IS possible to have a reason to want to do this. (Though even then, I personally would probably rather unequip something ELSE, because I like my steeds so much :-) )
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 04:52 PM   #9
thedag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Oops. Somehow I skipped over that post. I guess is IS possible to have a reason to want to do this. (Though even then, I personally would probably rather unequip something ELSE, because I like my steeds so much :-) )
We can tell you like steeds from your user name!!!!
thedag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:19 PM   #10
MadMan

Quote:
Put something else from use to carry...