Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Old 12-13-2009, 03:53 PM   #51
Ze'Manel Cunha

Default Re: Is Transhuman Space a "silly" genre?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
What happens when people (as I understand that this Marine was expected to eventually) recover? If is the person whose brain has healed the same as the one that suffered the trauma?
Depends on the personality which emerges, many traumatic brain injuries, even when fully healed, lead to significant personality changes.
In fact, some of the best research on brain function has come as a result of studies of traumatic brain injuries.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:55 PM   #52
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
Depends on the personality which emerges, many traumatic brain injuries, even when fully healed, lead to significant personality changes.
In fact, some of the best research on brain function has come as a result of studies of traumatic brain injuries.
That's basically my point. There really isn't that much difference between someone who recovers from a coma and a Ghost in terms of continuity (in specific reference to Brett's post).
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:07 PM   #53
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
That's basically my point. There really isn't that much difference between someone who recovers from a coma and a Ghost in terms of continuity (in specific reference to Brett's post).
Meaning the original is dead in both situations?

Even starting from the given that you have a copy of a dead person, the new personality in the body is going to be making decisions and impressions based on the same physical chemistry that the original had, whereas the magic TS ghost form, unless put into a clone, is no longer running on the same chemistry and therefore is a complete divergence from the original from that second forward.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:10 PM   #54
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Meaning the original is dead in both situations?
Sure, but we don't treat TBI patients as legally different persons.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 12-13-2009 at 04:19 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:17 PM   #55
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Sure, but we don't treat TBD patients as legally different persons.
Then again, that's because people don't generally voluntarily become TBI disabled.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:22 PM   #56
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Then again, that's because people don't generally voluntarily become TBI disabled.
Someone could die in an accident or of natural causes and be uploaded. Someone could go snowboarding (or volunteer for the military in wartime) and get brain damage. I'm not sure choice is an issue here.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:31 PM   #57
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Someone could die in an accident or of natural causes and be uploaded. Someone could go snowboarding (or volunteer for the military in wartime) and get brain damage. I'm not sure choice is an issue here.
The magic upload is easier for people to point at and say that isn't Joe, whereas people almost feel an obligation to stand by TBI disabled Joe, even though he clearly isn't who he used to be before his accident.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:42 AM   #58
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
The magic upload is easier for people to point at and say that isn't Joe, whereas people almost feel an obligation to stand by TBI disabled Joe, even though he clearly isn't who he used to be before his accident.
Besides- the soul isn't copied or transferred.

I seriously doubt that all those millenia old religious/spirtual beliefs and traditions will just go 'poof' in THS. These beliefs will affect how people deal with things like 'magic uploads'- including the laws that are made.

Last edited by combatmedic; 12-14-2009 at 02:56 AM.
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:00 AM   #59
Jürgen Hubert

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic View Post
Besides- the soul isn't copied or transferred.

I seriously doubt that all those millenia old religious/spirtual beliefs and traditions will just go 'poof' in THS. These beliefs will affect how people deal with things like 'magic uploads'- including the laws that are made.
Well, for the outside observer as well for the actual ghost there seems to be no real change in personality apart from understandable pychological effects resulting from becoming an infomorph and residing within a shell or computer. This will count for a lot, and will make questions about the soul more awkward.

Especially for largely agnostic/atheist regions such as the European Union - which likely has among the highest percentage of ghosts anyway.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:52 AM   #60
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert View Post
Well, for the outside observer as well for the actual ghost there seems to be no real change in personality apart from understandable pychological effects resulting from becoming an infomorph and residing within a shell or computer. This will count for a lot, and will make questions about the soul more awkward.

Especially for largely agnostic/atheist regions such as the European Union - which likely has among the highest percentage of ghosts anyway.
I wonder how the various religions and sects deal with 'ghosts.'

For a future Europe, I'd have guessed Muslim dominated, not atheist. Of course, I'm not intimately familiar with THS, so I don't know if the demographic trends have changed radically....
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
verhängnisthread