Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-07-2017, 04:48 AM   #31
Otaku

Default Re: Random Mutants and powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakyrias View Post
Since we've gotten slightly off subject I thought I'd ask an unrelated X-men question

My world includes many various elements. One of which being Highlander style immortals, which has prompted the question: Is Logan (Wolverine) an Immortal? Could he be one in addition to being a mutant?
Can you clarify?

He's a major comic book icon, and thanks to both TV and film, he's so well known (re: profitable) that he can't stay dead in the comics. Just like characters who do not (or at least did not) have any sort of "healing factor". Ignoring such things, the mainstream version of Wolverine is not immortal; in GURPS terms, he's got at least two levels of Extended Lifespan, Regeneration (exact level varies according to the time period and story), Regrowth, and a few traits along those lines. He might have Unkillable 2, depending on the storyline or setting (including alternate versions of Wolverine).

Actually, for all I know he's got that in the mainstream version of the book now as well since it appears he's just come back from the dead in a recent storyline. Or did I miss when Marvel decided to make "Immortal" into a specific group, like how Marvel has the Deviants, the Eternals, the Externals, the Inhumans, etc.? ^^'
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:56 AM   #32
Phantasm

I don't recall Logan ever having Regrowth, with the ability to regrow severed limbs. (Then again, I basically stopped reading the X-books mid- to late-90s, around the first Age of Apocalypse.) One thing I vaguely recall was him thinking that if his arm was removed his healing factor would close the wound fast, but he'd be left with a stump from the remains.

Ultimate!Wolverine... well, Ultimate!Hulk ripped him in two and he still managed to get his legs back, but I can't remember if it was reattachment or regrowth.

As for the Highlander-Immortal bit... if he truly is immortal and not just extremely long-lived, then if it suits the campaign, sure! But aren't Highlander Immortals sterile?, which Wolvie is not.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:14 PM   #33
Otaku

Regrowth was actually an error on my part, but when I just went to look it up, it looks like it has been added to even the mainstream version of Wolverine. Something about him being an "adaptive healer" to explain why his original healing factor had become so potent over the decades. At least, before then being nerfed or totally eliminated and... well... I'm not sure how things stand now since he was killed off but appears to have just returned from the dead.

Early Wolverine probably just has Regeneration (Slow or Regular), some useful Resistances (maybe not even at high levels), and Extended Lifespan (probably just one or two levels) for his healing factor. Maybe Regrowth [Minor] so that things like a lost tooth are replaced, but not a lost hand. For a time he may have indeed been functionally immortal, but not from his healing factor; there's some storyline where he basically had some deal with the Azrael, the Angel of Death (never heard of this character before, at least in Marvel Comics). Before the nerfing that lead to his death, he still had to worry about drowning, or so it seems, and extreme dismemberment.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Old 12-07-2017, 03:05 PM   #34
Drakyrias

Less concerned with canonically. But Logan is hundreds of years old and is listed as only being able to (supposedly) be killed by severing his head from his body (exempting the Ultimates universe). More of a polling the forum.

Several beings in Marvel and DC both end up being hybrids (I believe Namor is a mutant Atlantean) which could explain how Logan is capable of fathering children.
Drakyrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:18 PM   #35
Otaku

Quote:
Less concerned with canonically. But Logan is hundreds of years old and is listed as only being able to (supposedly) be killed by severing his head from his body (exempting the Ultimates universe). More of a polling the forum.

Several beings in Marvel and DC both end up being hybrids (I believe Namor is a mutant Atlantean) which could explain how Logan is capable of fathering children.
The head severing thing is from the Xavier Protocols, right?

This is why you need to get multiple minds on that; drowning, incinerating, etc. all make as much sense. Well, unless you really do want to make Logan a mutant Highlander... which does sound fun, now that I think about it. XD
Old 12-07-2017, 03:40 PM   #36
David Johnston2

Quote:
Since we've gotten slightly off subject I thought I'd ask an unrelated X-men question

My world includes many various elements. One of which being Highlander style immortals, which has prompted the question: Is Logan (Wolverine) an Immortal? Could he be one in addition to being a mutant?
I don't think that's really fair to the other immortals seeing as how they can't decapitate him.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:16 PM   #37
cvannrederode

Apologies if someone has already mentioned it. And it's horribly out of print, but if you can find it, Villains and Vigilantes had a nice system for randomly determining super powers.

It might not work with-out some tweaking, but it might be a good place to start.
cvannrederode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:11 PM   #38
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
I love this site! Great for the type of mutants who need X-Men help: “Joe developed the talent to force zebras into a deep sleep. Tragically, Joe is well-known for being terrible at swimming.”
The first one I rolled up could transform glass into steel and was afraid of sloths.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:17 PM   #39
Culture20

“Who replaced the glass around the sloth exhibit with steel plate?”
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:50 PM   #40
Drakyrias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
The head severing thing is from the Xavier Protocols, right?

This is why you need to get multiple minds on that; drowning, incinerating, etc. all make as much sense. Well, unless you really do want to make Logan a mutant Highlander... which does sound fun, now that I think about it. XD
Hence why I asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
I don't think that's really fair to the other immortals seeing as how they can't decapitate him.
Since when was Wolverine fair lol?
Drakyrias is offline   Reply With Quote