Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-26-2013, 09:47 AM   #1
b-dog

Default [DF] Encounters

I would like to suggest an idea for a DF book. I would like to have a book of encounters. This would be useful because encounters can be placed within a dungeon and they would have full use of GURPS rules to give ideas for the Dungeon Master. Monster books are useful but they could be more useful if the monters were placed in encounter the the monster would also have notes on how it attacks and maybe the tricks and traps it uses. It could also be guarding interesting treasuse that is hidden or trapped. I feel this kind book would provide a middle ground between adventures and monster books. I feel an interesting encounter could spur ideas for an adventure as well and also they could be useful for random encounters that are more interesting. A guard post for goblin-kin, a crypt with a draugr, a shrine to an Elder God ect. could all be ideas for an encounter. The encounter would include terrain ideas, HP of materials in the room, modifiers for detecting traps, maybe some secret information, monster stats and how they will attack the PCs, and of course treasure and magic items. Thus an encounter would be a good way to introduce new monsters, traps and magic items and treasure.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:50 AM   #2
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: [DF] Encounters

Encounters (in the form of small books with a single encounter rather than a large book with many) have actually been on the wish list for quite some time.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:18 AM   #3
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post

Encounters (in the form of small books with a single encounter rather than a large book with many) have actually been on the wish list for quite some time.
Correct-a-mundo. And as the wish list says, we're seeking Adventures items for the Dungeon Fantasy series . . . and Encounters volumes are automatically an option anywhere we want Adventures. So far, there has been zero interest in writing Dungeon Fantasy Encounters. I don't write 'em because I'm lousy at creating setting content; I do rules.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:44 PM   #4
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
I don't write 'em because I'm lousy at creating setting content; I do rules.
That's too bad because I would think you would be a great writer for such a book. You know rules more than anyone else. I think this kind of book would be very rules heavy with all sorts of modifiers for hiding monsters spring out to attack and tactics monsters would use. Basically it could be a random room in a dungeon that the PCs could stumble upon. I know that you have had a lot of experience challenging players so you would know how to make an encounter that is fun to play.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:57 PM   #5
Stripe

I just want to get a few fun, interesting and well play-tested dungeons written and fully-detailed, then my goal is to take that experience and finally put together one for SJG.

I can't use the excuse that writing in SJG style is deterring me since Douglas Cole has twice offered to help in in that regard.

I'd never heard of this "Encounters" series.
if I can't say 'I'm chaotic evil!'"? —Jeff Freeman
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:06 PM   #6
Anthony

Trouble with writing encounters is that the details of which encounters are interesting is heavily dependent on the party. A combat encounter that's balanced for, say, a Cleric (buffs/healing), a Holy Warrior, a Knight, a Scout, and a Wizard (Artillery), will probably beat the stuffing out of a party consisting of a Barbarian, a Bard, a Swashbuckler, a Thief, and a Wizard (Illusionist).
Old 07-26-2013, 06:24 PM   #7
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Trouble with writing encounters is that the details of which encounters are interesting is heavily dependent on the party. A combat encounter that's balanced for, say, a Cleric (buffs/healing), a Holy Warrior, a Knight, a Scout, and a Wizard (Artillery), will probably beat the stuffing out of a party consisting of a Barbarian, a Bard, a Swashbuckler, a Thief, and a Wizard (Illusionist).
Full-scale adventures have the same problem, don't they?
Old 07-26-2013, 06:31 PM   #8
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Yeppers. Which is one of the reasons writing adventures and encounters for GURPS is difficult. DF simplifies, but you are still going to run into situations where an unbalanced delver party is going to be eaten alive. Sucks to be them.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #9
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Yeah, there's a reason pretty much no game system other than D&D (which comes pretty close to having a Standard Party) has much in the way of adventure modules.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:33 PM   #10
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
Yeppers. Which is one of the reasons writing adventures and encounters for GURPS is difficult. DF simplifies, but you are still going to run into situations where an unbalanced delver party is going to be eaten alive. Sucks to be them.
Note that both of the parties I mentioned have situations where they'll do terribly, it's just that those situations are different.

Ponder: would an adventure that starts with "This adventure was balanced around the following pregenerated characters" be acceptable? Other than that, you can always throw in suggestions for how to make a given part of the adventure more or less challenging.

Last edited by Anthony; 07-26-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventures, encounters