Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-23-2017, 07:49 PM   #1
Jefepato

Default How to stat a drowning engulf attack

Sorry for the trivial question; I'm not very experienced with GURPS yet.

Basically, I'm trying to stat out a water elemental that has the ability to engulf someone and drown them. Fortunately, GURPS Powers had the Engulfing modifier for Constriction Attack, but I'm not entirely sure I did the rest of this properly.

Constriction Attack (Engulfing, +60%) [24]
Affliction X (Incapacitation - Choking +100%; Follow-Up - Constriction Attack (natural weapon) +0%) [20 per level]

Is this about right? Should the Constriction Attack and Affliction be Linked instead of using Follow-Up? Does Constriction Attack count as a natural weapon for Follow-Up's purposes (I assumed it did)? Should Affliction have some sort of range modifier for only working at range C, or do I correctly understand that Follow-Up attacks don't really have a range trait (because they're only delivered via the attack to which they're attached)?

...Actually, per the rules, it looks like someone suffering Affliction (Incapacitation) suffers the effect for a number of minutes equal to their failure on the HT roll. Is there some other appropriate modifier if the victim is supposed to be able to breathe again as soon as they escape?

I mean, yikes. If I'm reading the choking (and thus suffocation) rules right, even one minute is seriously dangerous (which is realistic of course, but still).
Jefepato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 12:13 AM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: How to stat a drowning engulf attack

It may be easier to just borrow the Suffocating (+75%) modifier from Binding. It fits both the theme and the realism check.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:13 AM   #3
Jefepato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
It may be easier to just borrow the Suffocating (+75%) modifier from Binding. It fits both the theme and the realism check.
Thanks! I wish I'd thought to look at the Binding entry in Powers.

...Really, until I get a better handle on this system, I should probably just skim Chapters 1-2 of Powers anytime I have a question Google isn't easily solving for me. There's probably something I can use in there for most "how do I..." questions.

At least this problem inspired me to read Affliction in detail, though. (The idea of inflicting disadvantages on enemies opens up a lot of possibilities.)
Jefepato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:22 AM   #4
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefepato View Post
Thanks! I wish I'd thought to look at the Binding entry in Powers.

...Really, until I get a better handle on this system, I should probably just skim Chapters 1-2 of Powers anytime I have a question Google isn't easily solving for me. There's probably something I can use in there for most "how do I..." questions.

At least this problem inspired me to read Affliction in detail, though. (The idea of inflicting disadvantages on enemies opens up a lot of possibilities.)
When in doubt, Ctrl+F your copy of Powers. If using a hard copy, be thankful it's in alphabetical order!
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote