Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 01-03-2017, 03:11 PM   #1
StuArt1

Default Wand of Dowsing and Hoard loop

So me and a few of my friends were playing the original munchkin game and on one of my friends turns he got the wand of dowsing and went through the treasure discard pile and got the hoard card and then he took the three cards from the treasure discard pile pulling of course the wand of dowsing and then others then used the wand to go through the pile again and pulling the hoard card again and repeated the process all over again and I tryed to stop it but he used the excuse that if he did not draw the hoard card face down that he can do this because on the hoard card states that if not draw face down then draw three cards face up and the only cards that are face up are the discard pile. So now I ask is can he do that or when it states to draw three cards face up from treasure pile not the discarded treasure pile?
StuArt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 03:44 PM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Wand of Dowsing and Hoard loop

I changed the name of the thread to be a little more descriptive in relation to your problem, so that people can find it in the future if they search for answers to the same issue.

Hoard! doesn't allow you to draw from the discards without some other card giving you that ability (e.g., Cleric). All cards gotten by Hoard! come from the Treasure deck, and it's considered a face-down acquisition when pulled from the discard pile with Wand Of Dowsing.

So, it works like this: Someone uses Wand Of Dowsing and digs out Hoard!, which triggers immediately. It's considered found face-down, so the cards are drawn from the Treasure deck face-down, so the Cleric can't resurrect anything.

Also, since this seems to be an occasional point of confusion: Face-up draws do not mean you draw from the discard pile. It means you draw cards from the deck and show them so that everyone can see them.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:19 PM   #3
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Wand of Dowsing and Hoard loop

The Munchkin FAQ addresses the interaction of Wand of Dowsing and Hoard! (and lots of other questions, naturally):

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAQ
Q. If I play a card such as Wand of Dowsing that lets me put Hoard! in my hand, what happens?
A. It goes into your hand for a split second, then triggers the "play immediately" condition. Draw the three cards face down.

Q. Can a cleric use Hoard! over and over by discarding it before he starts drawing his three cards, and drawing it again, and discarding it and drawing three more, and so on?
A. No. Discard Hoard! AFTER the three cards are drawn. GREAT try, though! (This is a reason NEVER to have two copies of Hoard! in your deck . . .)

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote