Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-27-2020, 12:34 PM   #11
DataPacRat

Default Re: Ultra-Tech Mental Exercises?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
I'm not at all sure, but I thought that EMDR is supposed to just change how you feel about memories rather than making you forget them?
One of the theories around it is that the simple act of recalling a memory, while in the process of doing something else (moving one's eyes), is enough to start fuzzing and blurring it when it's "repacked" back out of conscious awareness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Leviathan View Post
Ultra Tech brain games might give you a targetted boost to skills like a temporary talent, or a will or perception bonus but it would be a +1 or +2 at best.
How do you think they'd be statted up? Maybe just draw from UltraTech's "Adders", but applied via interacting with a computer instead of swallowing a pill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Leviathan View Post
There would also be no less number of medicine-show scammers who will sell you a flashy distraction game they couldn't market to an entertainment site as a mental gym program.
I was asking about the future, not the present. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
A way of inducing split personality. The technique comes in many different variants, each which creates a specific type of personality.

Have a boring job? Having trouble keeping up an exercise regime? Just create an extra extremely diligent personality and fast forward all the booring parts of your life as your main personality sleeps while the created one deals with all bothersome things.
Tulpamancy!
"Then again, maybe I'm wrong."
DataPacRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 01:21 PM   #12
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
The Envoys from Altered Carbon seem to have some not-overly-superscience mental tricks, though it only comes up a couple of times in season 1 of the show.
They come up a bit more often in the books.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 01:43 PM   #13
Donny Brook

Maybe advanced brain imaging and further developments would bring NLP (neuro-linguistic programming) up to a standard of verifiability for the claims made here, for example.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote