Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 12-01-2014, 07:00 AM   #1
RiccardoAt

Default Lust Monster

Hi :)

The description of Lust Monster says "You should be help from someone near you with opposite sex" (or at least, this is my translation :) ).

This means that if there is someone near you with opposite sex she/he has to help you (for free?!) or you have to convince she/he to help you?

Thank u! :)
RiccardoAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:39 AM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Lust Monster

You must get one of the other players to help you, and that person's character must be of the opposite gender from yours. You'll have to convince that player, as normal, to help you. No one could be compelled to help in any way by the text on Lust Monster.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 03:12 AM   #3
RiccardoAt

Thank u Munchkinman :)
Old 12-02-2014, 07:46 AM   #4
RiccardoAt

emhhhhh... 2 other things!

1) The card says that the helper shoud be *near* you, It means he/she has to be directly on my left or my right?

2) If I'm fighting Lust monster and another monster together and no one help me. Should I fight, at first, only the other monster and then at the end of the combact (win or lose), I try to escape from Lust Monster?
Old 12-02-2014, 08:08 AM   #5
JimABassPlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiccardoAt View Post
emhhhhh... 2 other things!

1) The card says that the helper shoud be *near* you, It means he/she has to be directly on my left or my right?
Unless the card was changed for the Italian version, I'm guessing it's just an inappropriate translation of the English preposition "with" ("stand with you") -- meaning an association (as in having the assistance of another player), not an adjacent position (as in "near" or "beside").
JimABassPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:11 AM   #6
MunchkinMan

I'm not sure of your translation, not having the Italian card in front of me, but "near" has no specific, defined meaning in Munchkin. In other words: If the player to your left and right are what is required or wanted, that will be stated as clearly as possible in the text. The English version of the card doesn't say anything like that, though it does have what we like to call "color" or "flavor" text, which has no real meaning, but is more like a flourish, or maybe even used to explain the context of a rule, but isn't a rule in and of itself. It's possible that the translator had a hard time getting the flavor text translated in such a way that he implied something incorrectly. In this case, the text, in English, says you must get the helper "to stand with you and protect your virtue[.]" I can see how "near" and "stand with" might seem close enough in meaning to allow a translator to potentially pick the wrong word.

You always face the Monsters together, and if there's a special effect that applies to the combat (like the one Lust Monster has), then it doesn't matter how many Monsters are around. In this particular case, if you can't get help, you lose the combat and must Run Away from all the Monsters. There is no normal way to fight one Monster and ignore another.
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 12-02-2014 at 09:16 AM.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:06 AM   #7
RiccardoAt

>There is no normal way to fight one Monster and ignore another.

Unless monster has some special feature like Floating Nose or Wannabe Vampire (as I ask in the other thread), correct?

(I'm sorry for my questions, I'm just a little confused :) )
Old 12-03-2014, 04:36 AM   #8
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

You can't decide to fight the monsters independently of each other. If you have a way to remove a monster from a fight, you can do that, but you still have to deal with whatever monsters are left before you collect any rewards.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:34 AM   #9
MunchkinMan

Which is why I used the word "normal." Those are not normal circumstances.
MiB #1029