Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-21-2020, 06:55 AM   #31
Gumby Bush

Default Re: Useful Low-Powered Abilities [Powers/Supers]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
...maybe taking "Weakened Without 8 Hours Preparation -40%" from B114 with no intention at all of using it at full strength, just using it to get it to half power and save points, in which case 2/5 of 30 is 12 so it's down to 18...

I need to halve the power a 2nd time so I'll take another version... B110 Weakened Under Stress -30% saves another 9 points bringing it down to 8... SUCCESS

Which is I guess the point value of Bandaging from B424?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
It is more than 10 CP, so it exceeds the guidelines of the original post (I am also not quite sure what, if any, utility it has over First Aid).

He winds up at

Healing (Capped +25% (max 2 FP can be spent to heal 4 HP); Requires Easy Skill Roll +5%; Immediate Preparation Required: 1 minute -30%; Requires material component -10%; Requires grapple -10%; Injuries Only -20%; Reduced Fatigue Cost 2 +40%; Weakened without 8 hours of preparation -40%; Weakened Under Stress -30%) [9]

Since Capped should be a limitation instead of an enhancement, it ought to come out more like:

Healing (Capped -25% (max 2 FP can be spent to heal 4 HP); Requires Easy Skill Roll +5%; Immediate Preparation Required: 1 minute -30%; Requires material component -10%; Requires grapple -10%; Injuries Only -20%; Reduced Fatigue Cost 2 +40%; Weakened without 8 hours of preparation -40%; Weakened Under Stress -30%) [6]

Stacking Immediate Preparation and Weakened without 8 hours seems dicey to me. Let's treat it like partially limited traits and call it -15% instead of -40%

Healing (Capped -25% (max 2 FP can be spent to heal 4 HP); Requires Easy Skill Roll +5%; Immediate Preparation Required: 1 minute -30%; Requires material component -10%; Requires grapple -10%; Injuries Only -20%; Reduced Fatigue Cost 2 +40%; Weakened without 8 hours of preparation -15%; Weakened Under Stress -30%) [6]

That is still -95% so either remove up to -25% of limitations or add up to +25% of enhancements. Maybe Reduced FP Cost 1 +20%?
Old 08-21-2020, 07:28 AM   #32
naloth

If I was trying to knock healing down in cost I'd do:

Healing (Affects Self +50%; Useless under stress -60%; Injuries Only -20%; Own Race Only -20%; Prep: One Min -20%) [9]
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:15 AM   #33
AlexanderHowl

What exactly does weakened Healing mean in this context though? Since weakened means half the effect, I would interpret it as half the healing per FP spent and per penalty.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 05:51 PM   #34
Gumby Bush

Quote:
What exactly does weakened Healing mean in this context though? Since weakened means half the effect, I would interpret it as half the healing per FP spent and per penalty.
That is how I interpreted it, as Plane was shooting for a 1HP heal.
Old 08-21-2020, 07:32 PM   #35
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Capped is -25%, isn't it?
Yes, I clearly fumbled that...

Which is good because I actually forgot about the -3 penalty for multiple uses on same person per day.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...11&postcount=8

priced at +50 so switching +25 to -25 pays for it!

Quote:
It is more than 10 CP, so it exceeds the guidelines of the original post
I actually got it down to 8 points.

Might need to bloat if I need to get "Heals Self" enhancement though...

I'm actually not sure if you can just go and use Bandaging on yourself to restore 1 HP per minute though.

I'd figure that'd be awkward if you had to wrap an arm wound 1 handed.

Quote:
(I am also not quite sure what, if any, utility it has over First Aid).
It doesn't, that's the joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby Bush View Post
That is how I interpreted it, as Plane was shooting for a 1HP heal.
Yes, because the most you can get w/ capped is spending 2 FP for 4HP which is still too strong!
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 07:37 PM   #36
Gumby Bush

Benefits over First Aid, BTW: It stacks therewith (granted, TL+1 (First Aid Only) [1]; is likely a better way to get that...).
Old 08-21-2020, 10:00 PM   #37
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby Bush View Post
Benefits over First Aid, BTW: It stacks therewith (granted, TL+1 (First Aid Only) [1]; is likely a better way to get that...).
The problem though is that you couldn't be doing first aid when you're spending 60 seconds of concentrates doing the Healing.

I guess maybe it matters if there's multiple healers, since 2 people doing first aid could probably still only restore 1 HP, maybe get a +1 skill for an assistant but that's it.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 04:29 AM   #38
kirbwarrior

Minor Personality Change
Affliction 1 (Variable Enhancement 1 +10%, Low Signature N/A +25%, Melee Attack C w/No Parry -35%) [10]

You can walk by people and give them any quirk (or other -1pt trait, or anything else Affliction allows at +1%) if they fail a HT roll. Either way, it's undetectable and subtle, working wonders in a crowd when it's guaranteed to work on some amount of them. Want a mob mentality? Intolerance: Rare Victim. Need a distraction? Mass Allergies. Want someone to act up? OPH. Need people to get along? Broad-Minded. Want someone to stick out? Distinctive Features. Need people to like you? Shake their hand with Admiration. Want to win a Quick Contest? Lazy Skill, or Incompetence if you want them to look terrible. Want to be with luck? Trivial Destiny. Need yourself to have any quirk anytime?
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 06:53 AM   #39
rpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
Minor Personality Change
Affliction 1 (Variable Enhancement 1 +10%, Low Signature N/A +25%, Melee Attack C w/No Parry -35%) [10]

You can walk by people and give them any quirk (or other -1pt trait, or anything else Affliction allows at +1%) if they fail a HT roll. Either way, it's undetectable and subtle, working wonders in a crowd when it's guaranteed to work on some amount of them. Want a mob mentality? Intolerance: Rare Victim. Need a distraction? Mass Allergies. Want someone to act up? OPH. Need people to get along? Broad-Minded. Want someone to stick out? Distinctive Features. Need people to like you? Shake their hand with Admiration. Want to win a Quick Contest? Lazy Skill, or Incompetence if you want them to look terrible. Want to be with luck? Trivial Destiny. Need yourself to have any quirk anytime?

Nice. That's a really versatile ability. It would go really well with a trickster character. Or if you restrict it to mental quicks and make it uncontrollable a great disadvantage for a Psi. Maybe as part of an alien racial template, their telepathy has a random effect on other races.
rpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 09:10 AM   #40
Donny Brook

Quote:
I believe that Talents would be -20% because they are a rather large subset of advantages. Maximum Duration is also probably not a legal limitation because Modular Abilities are transient rather than always on, as you have to use Concentrate to activate it (otherwise nearly every Modular Ability build would use it). ....
Talent is a single advantage, not advantages. If falls squarely within "all forms of a flexible, powerful advantage" for -30%.

Maximum Duration in this build applies to the whole Modular pool. It cannot be accessed or used in whatever configuration for more than 10 minutes with a 5 minute down-time in between. It''s entirely RAW.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
powers, supers