Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 02-16-2020, 04:19 AM   #1
Chris Rice

Default Ardoniraine

With the impending release of an Ardoniraine city book for TFT, can I ask whether this city relates in any direct way (i.e. not by gate) to the map of Elentia in the Legacy Edition?
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 12:53 AM   #2
Tom H.

Default Re: Ardoniraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
With the impending release of an Ardoniraine city book for TFT, can I ask whether this city relates in any direct way (i.e. not by gate) to the map of Elentia in the Legacy Edition?
I'm also very curious how various elements of the Fantasy Trip and the adventures tie in to a default local setting.

I would love to learn more about Elyntia which appears to be the best candidate for this default.

I'm still trying to collect various adventures, but I know that "The Curse of Katiki-Mu" sets a default starting location on the map of Southern Elyntia.

Can anyone else share the starting locations for other published adventures?

We should be getting a book about Ardonirane from David Pulver later this year. I wonder if he has elaborated on its location.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 05:19 AM   #3
Chris Rice

Looking through my pre-Legacy stuff, there is no mention of Ardonirane in the core books that I can find. Orb Quest, Master of the Amulets, and the Death Tests mention the Thorz and/or his city but don’t seem to put them in context to Elyntia. Tollenkar’s Lair on the other hand, specifically references Elyntian Locations such as Landmaster Hall and Bendwyn, but doesn’t mention the Thorz.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 09:43 AM   #4
Skarg

I think it's clear Ardoniraine is distant enough from Elyntia that they aren't involved with each other. At least, not directly enough that GM's can't consistently run them that way.

Which is convenient for GMs who would like to add them independently to their own worlds, or their own versions of one or the other. (Or who have already done so.)

Several of the new adventures mention connections to Elyntia, but I think so far they all only really do so superficially, so that those are just suggestions of how a GM might arrange them, but there's no real impact on the logic or details if they were added to another campaign, or connected/placed to Elyntia in a different way.

Since many new GMs may tend to use either Death Test or Elynita as a starting point and add their own details (and some have even developed their own extensive campaign details all around them), it seems to me like a feature to have them not be linked, at least not in a way that can't be switched around without affecting the logic of them.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 10:51 AM   #5
larsdangly

I like the fact that Cidri has enough setting details to seed some basic campaign ideas (guilds, jobs, etc.) but is presented with a totally ambiguous geography, beyond one smallish regional map. This is one of the last games out there that encourages you to truly make the setting your own instead of just passively masticating whatever the company sells you. My Cidri is a big complicated place, and yet it could easily be across a mountain range from Ardoniraine, or your setting, or whatever.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 11:15 AM   #6
hcobb

Quote:
Ardonirane is a distant trading partner and occasional military ally of Dran, maybe of other Elyntian duchies as well.
There's some unattractive real estate between them.
That's from S.J. I am under nondisclosure until release so can add nothing myself.
Old 02-22-2020, 12:04 AM   #7
Tom H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
I like the fact that Cidri has enough setting details to seed some basic campaign ideas (guilds, jobs, etc.) but is presented with a totally ambiguous geography, beyond one smallish regional map. This is one of the last games out there that encourages you to truly make the setting your own instead of just passively masticating whatever the company sells you. My Cidri is a big complicated place, and yet it could easily be across a mountain range from Ardoniraine, or your setting, or whatever.
I hear what you're saying.

On the other hand, I like the shared background that can connect diverse players that comes from supported settings and adventures. It may allow more discussion on the forums of related play experiences.

Published setting material also has the benefit of providing new content and sales avenues that don't just rely on creating more rule complexity.

Ironically, Cidri being such an expansive place really allows individual creative content to coexist with published settings with or without intersecting.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 12:25 AM   #8
JimmyPlenty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
I hear what you're saying.

On the other hand, I like the shared background that can connect diverse players that comes from supported settings and adventures. It may allow more discussion on the forums of related play experiences.
I think you could still achieve this even if it is written as it's own thing. You just connect them yourself. Just like the town in TFT can be imported wherever you want it to. By locking them in, it's too much work to separate them.
JimmyPlenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 06:25 AM   #9
hcobb

My biggest gripe with Dran is that there's no fully worked characters in the setting for the players to interact with.

Hence the recurring joke in Curse of the Necropus that Dnuzm has no last name because he's the grandson of a mentioned, but unnamed, character in the rulebook. This then dictates that he is an honest spy for the count and operates as Molly suggests when she says:

"When a goblin is hiding their identity they'll say something like I have been called X, which will be true, but not relevant."

Dnuzm honestly gives his common first name and avoids revealing his connection. He's just another common goblin courier, nothing much to see here. (Which is a borrowing from Lord of the Rings, and a meme older than dirt.)
Old 02-23-2020, 03:38 AM   #10
David Bofinger

I'm presently running a game on Discord that has drifted from the SW of the Southern Elyntia map off the SW corner and I'm having to make up stuff on the fly. I don't *need* a larger map, but it might be useful if there were a consensus larger-scale map giving us some idea of what Southern Elyntia's neighbours looked like. It could be either Elyntia megahexes (hex is 13 miles, map the size of France) or Elyntia megamegahexes (hex is 35 miles, map the size of Western Europe). Maybe with Ardoniraine near its western edge.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote