Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 02-24-2023, 12:31 AM   #31
Matt1964

Default Re: Talent/Spell of the Week: Priest

Metagaming's Interplay Magazine No. 4 (Nov-Dec, 1981) had some interesting ideas for expanded priest and theologian talents.

The IQ costs for both of these talents remain the same. Once a player chooses the priest talent, he must select a religion to follow. Five different religions are listed below, though others may be thought up.

The first religion is Christian. They are exactly like those of the Roman Catholic church in the 1300's. Christian priests have one cure light wounds spell per day at no extra IQ cost. Christian theologians have an extra cure light wound spell per day and the Bless spell at no extra IQ cost.

The second are the Stygians. The Stygian worship the great snake god-Set. They are a mystic cult that deal with the darker magical arts similar to those found in Conan. Stygian priests have one cure light wounds per day at no extra IQ cost. Stygian theologians who already know the Staff or Staff of Power spell may know the Staff to Snake spell at no IQ cost.

The third are the Torenstines. The Torenstines are a military "Christian" religion who believe that they can rid the world of evil by the edge of the sword. Torenstine priests have one cure light wounds spell per day at no extra IQ cost. Torenstine theologians have the priest abilities as well as one cure serious wounds spell per day at no extra IQ cost.

The fourth are the Tanzaurins The Tanzaurins are demon worshipers. They are hated by most other religions including the Stygians. Tanzaurin priests have one cure light wounds spell per day at no extra IQ cost. Tanzaurin theologians can try to invoke the wrath of god. After five turns of uninterupted concentration, the theologian rolls three dice. On a roll of 4, a lesser demon appears. On a roll of 3, a greater demon appears. These demons will remain for six turns to do the commands of the theologian at no ST cost. For a wish to be granted, a battle of will must still be fought.

The last religion is the Terrestal. The Terrestals are elemental worshippers. A Terrestal must choose whether to worship the Air, Earth, Water, or Fire. Terrestal priests have one cure light wounds spell per day at no extra IQ cost. Terrestal theologians may know the Control Elemental spell at no IQ cost. If an elemental of the right type meets a Terrestal it will always have a good reaction. Therefore, it might be advantageous to know the Calling spell so the theologian can summon an elemental.

The cure light wounds, cure serious wounds, and bless spells are listed below.

CURE LIGHT WOUNDS (Special): The Cure Light Wounds spell is used to cure physical damage on oneself or someone else. When used, the caster rolls one six-sided die. The number rolled, is the number of hits that are cured. ST cost: zero.

CURE SERIOUS WOUNDS (Special): The Cure Serious Wounds spell is used to cure physical damage on oneself or someone else. When used, the caster rolls two six-sided dice. The number rolled, is the number of hits that are cured. ST cost: zero

BLESS (Special)- The Bless spell affects one hex. When cast on a figure, it can affect the die roll made by that figure during the figure's next course of action. At that time, it can add or subtract one from a single dice roll. ST cost: 2

STAFF TO SNAKE (Thrown): Lets wizard turn his own staff into a small snake (ST 8, DX 13, IQ 4, MA 6,
-2 on DX of anyone attacking it). The snake can move and/or fight on the turn after it appears, and will stay for 6 turns before reverting to a staff. If the snake is killed, the staff reappears immediately-broken. The snake's bite does 1-1 damage. Cost: 3 ST. The spell can be recast before the 6 turns are up, to give the staff a further 6 turns as a snake.

STAFF OF POWER (Special): Cast on any rod of wood or silver, this spell erases the Staff spell (if it is present) and substitutes a similar but much more powerful spell. (The Staff spell does not have to be present.) A Staff of Power works like a Staff, but does two dice damage when the wizard hits with it. It is not affected by Drop Weapon or Break weapon spells. If it is picked up against the owner's will, it does not explode, but still does three dice damage to the figure that picked it up.
A Staff of Power cannot be bought or traded; it must be made by the wizard who is to use it. It takes four weeks to make, a cos of 10 ST per day.

I have not yet played TFT ITL and this is my first post. My 2020 edition of ITL arrived today. Cheers!
Matt1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 12:07 AM   #32
aebrain

Priest - prerequisite for learning the Summon Angel (aka Lesser demon) spell.
Theologian - prerequisite for learning the Summon Archangel (aka Greater demon) spell

Both of these, along with other "book larnin" skills such as literacy do not have cost to learn increased for Wizards.

One religion's Demon is another religion's Angel.

The main source of income for churches is from the lesser wish spells they sell to magic item manufacturers to avoid ruinous loss from manufacturing failures. Insurance policies, essentially.
aebrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 01:20 AM   #33
Steve Plambeck

In our secondary world's cosmology, my old group and I also defined Angels as physically equivalent to Lesser Demons, and Archangels as physically equivalent to Greater Demons.

Angels and Archangels were what we called demons aligned to or in the service of a specific deity, and could be summoned by High Priests of that god's religion. These High Priests didn't have to be wizards at all, they only needed the requisite priestly talents, and to have been officially inducted/consecrated into the highest ranks of their clergy, at which point they learned the secret invocations to summon a Demon/Angel.

But only the single, official Chief High Priest of any religion was empowered to summon an Archangel (Greater Demon), and these highest ranking pontiffs were off-camera NPCs that never actually turned up in play, even though that possibility always existed.

In fact we only had one adventure where a party of PCs had to exterminate a demon, and that turned into a bloodbath. Hardly something you want to do too often.
Old 03-27-2023, 06:02 AM   #34
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plambeck View Post
In our secondary world's cosmology, my old group and I also defined Angels as physically equivalent to Lesser Demons, and Archangels as physically equivalent to Greater Demons.
Those poor Principalities, Powers, Virtues, Dominions, Thrones, Cherubim, and Seraphim never get any spotlight time. To be fair, though, they and their diabolical equivalents would be a bit overpowered for your typical TFT campaign if Greater Demons are on the same order of power as Archangels (assuming the common Christian hierarchy).
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 06:29 AM   #35
phiwum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Those poor Principalities, Powers, Virtues, Dominions, Thrones, Cherubim, and Seraphim never get any spotlight time. To be fair, though, they and their diabolical equivalents would be a bit overpowered for your typical TFT campaign if Greater Demons are on the same order of power as Archangels (assuming the common Christian hierarchy).
I do like the image of powerful warriors fighting cute and soft-looking cherubim flitting about on their adorable little wings. And if the warriors get their butts kicked, it would be even more degrading.

Hmm...
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 07:55 AM   #36
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I do like the image of powerful warriors fighting cute and soft-looking cherubim flitting about on their adorable little wings. And if the warriors get their butts kicked, it would be even more degrading.

Hmm...
Maybe they are just englamored to look like putti? They are described in the Old Testament (depending on the translation) as having four faces--a man's, a bull's, a lion's, and an eagle's.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
character generation, jobs, religion, role-playing, talents