Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 02-25-2011, 07:50 AM   #11
Bogie1494

Default Re: Wand of Dowsing in combat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grax View Post
In this situation, the Wizard would still have to fight the monster that B wanders into the combat though (correct?), even if the initial monster was charmed - effectively the wizard loses his whole hand without getting the treasures from the initial combat until the second monster is resolved.

This thought is based on my understanding of the "2.9 second" rule as well as the "actions must be resolved before the next action can take place". Please correct me if I am assuming too much.
I don't think the second monster would be able to join the combat if the Wizard was fast enough. I don't have the card anywhere near me at the moment, but I don't believe at least that WoD has the implicit term that whatever you "resurrect" from the discards must be played immediately. Its action is resolved once the card is removed from the discard pile. Using the WoD resurrected card is another action. IIRC from other threads concerning Wizard's Charm, it is immediate and the "2.9s rule" doesn't apply similarly to an Epic Orc just eating a level 1 monster. And if the Charm is activated before the other player could wander in the WoD monster then combat would be over.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:20 AM   #12
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Wand of Dowsing in combat

We've established, here and in the FAQ, that if a Wizard uses his charm spell, that the "2.6 second" rule does still apply, and people can wander in another Monster. What does happen immediately is the removal of the Monster, which is complete, so anything enhancing that specific Monster goes with it (under the most common circumstances). The same goes for the Orc's epic ability, Monster Munch.

Here are the appropriate FAQ entries:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The FAQ
Q. Some cards say they automatically defeat a certain type of Monster (like the Snickersnee and Scary Clowns, or the Churninator and Level 1 monsters). Can anyone interfere with this? Can anyone play a Wandering Monster?
A. Yes. You may have automatically defeated the monster in question, but your fellow munchkins still have 2.6 seconds to respond. They probably cannot do anything to help the now-defeated monster, but they can still wander in a new one for you to fight. (But if the monster had special "bring in a friend" rules, such as -goths and Bats, you cannot use those rules, because the original monster is no longer there.)

. . .

Q. Does the "2.6 seconds rule" apply to defeating a monster without killing it, or just to killing it?
A. Any sort of defeat. If you defeat it without killing it, other players still have about 2.6 seconds to play an applicable card to frustrate you. However, if you removed the only monster from the fight (with Magic Lamp, for instance), they cannot play Monster Enhancers or other similar cards that affect a specific monster, because there isn't one there to fight, and they can't use any special rules for bringing in monsters (such as the Shark rules from Munchkin Booty) that depend on having a monster in the fight. They can play Wandering Monster to bring in an entirely new monster, though, as long as they do it at once.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
official rulings, wand of dowsing