Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-15-2017, 09:18 PM   #1
Set

Default How balanced is it to allow Martial Arts options in a Dungeon Fantasy campaign?

Hello, everyone.

I plan on GMing a Dungeon Fantasy game soon(TM), and this question came to mind.

I'm talking specifically about the Realistic technique options, more importantly Counter-Attack, Targeted Attacks and Combinations.

Also, cinematic options for those with either Weapon Master or Trained By a Master, and Extra Effort exclusively to those with Trained By a Master.

Would that be balanced?
Set is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:47 PM   #2
kirbwarrior

Default Re: How balanced is it to allow Martial Arts options in a Dungeon Fantasy campaign?

From what I've seen, it's actually a little underwhelming. It's good, and building a character around any of those options can make for a good character, but I don't think could be optimized better with those options being allowed. Only TA might be too strong, but really that only applies at point totals below ~260. Past that and it balances out fine.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 10:22 PM   #3
the_matrix_walker

Default Re: How balanced is it to allow Martial Arts options in a Dungeon Fantasy campaign?

Many of these rules already live in Dungeon Fantasy in the form of Power-Ups.

Usually, the more exotic options have flourishes, like a fatigue cost, to limit their use or add-ons to inflate their character point cost a bit.

In that spirit, take a look at the power-ups and make some for the techniques you want to integrate in a similar way. Be sure to charge a point for "Unique Technique" and include something in the mix to make sure it desn't turn the PC into a one trick pony...

Just my 0.02$ YMMV
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 05:08 PM   #4
Set

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Many of these rules already live in Dungeon Fantasy in the form of Power-Ups.

Usually, the more exotic options have flourishes, like a fatigue cost, to limit their use or add-ons to inflate their character point cost a bit.

In that spirit, take a look at the power-ups and make some for the techniques you want to integrate in a similar way. Be sure to charge a point for "Unique Technique" and include something in the mix to make sure it desn't turn the PC into a one trick pony...

Just my 0.02$ YMMV
Ah, you can always say "Not today!" to one trick ponies haha.

Anyways it is a good suggestion, I'll surely take a shot at creating those things. Probably the throat-slitting thing I've created in another thread will be a power-up for thieves, ninjas and assassins. I'll adapt it, and maybe include some cinematic options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
From what I've seen, it's actually a little underwhelming. It's good, and building a character around any of those options can make for a good character, but I don't think could be optimized better with those options being allowed. Only TA might be too strong, but really that only applies at point totals below ~260. Past that and it balances out fine.
I see!

So I will not allow TAs for the 125-points adventure, while allowing it for the 300-points one.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.
Set is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 06:28 PM   #5
Kalzazz

I see no reason to disallow them, but, a lot of martial arts like say Targeted Attacks are way more effective against Humans than say Stone Golems
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 06:56 PM   #6
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
I see no reason to disallow them, but, a lot of martial arts like say Targeted Attacks are way more effective against Humans than say Stone Golems
Cutting swung weapon to the Leg is the most universal one - Cutting's pretty good against everything except Diffuse things, and things that have a very specific resistance against cutting. Many many things have legs, and are hampered in a useful way by having them cut off. Even then Eyes of Death kind of sneer at you.

I've found the biggest way to tone down One Trick Ponies is to explore a broad range of enemies; Dungeon Fantasy is particularly forgiving here. Fighter-type humanoids play out very differently to oozes, who are different again from mind-controlling Elder Things, who are different again from rot grubs.

It's hard for me to get worked up about someone being able to do 5d+12 cutting when they have a Will of 9.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote