Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 09-29-2018, 10:32 PM   #11
Skarg

Default Re: Learning spells

Quote:
Originally Posted by platimus View Post
Is that really a bad thing? Why?
I just wrote it was "another thing", not necessarily bad.

It does add a very different rate of improvement for characters who start with high IQ versus those who start with lower IQ yet want to improve talents, even if they improve their IQ during play.

I didn't expect that.

Bad or not, it is another aspect of how it seems rather weird to me to have the XP costs as they currently appear.

The main thing that seems odd and probably undesirable-to-me thing is how easy it looks to get from 32 to 36 or 37 points. I think it looks probably rather easy to get to that point without the lingering I'd rather see in the 35 to 37 range, which I'd be where I'd want to see at lot of play and have XP be a temptation to do other things, rather than at 37-39 points. And as I said, it seems like learning to ride or horse or something should be much easier than going from 32 to 35 points. I like the game in the 30-36 point range, and am interested in PCs and NPCs being able to develop by adding skills in that range, without for the same effort being able to jack up their attributes.

I just go into it because I feel like no one seems to be really thinking about it or taking it seriously. Certainly if people discover they want it different, it's just a matter of playing with numbers. Certainly I can and will. I just thought I'd share this perspective and see if anyone else would have thoughts about it.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote