Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 07-20-2018, 06:10 PM   #51
Lindmark71

Default Re: What is your Rarest Car Wars item?

After my final time (for now) of running a 12X Car Wars game at a tournament (750 sq feet), Steve Jackson was a VIP at the convention. He was impressed with the size of things.

I snagged an autograph on my CWC book by way of thanks.

He thanked me for running the game. I thanked him for writing it.

Drive offensively!

Curt
Lindmark71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:11 PM   #52
PresidentTwoeagles

Most stuff purchased in the late 80's:

I've got all of the TSR gamebooks, the first one (Battle Road) was my very first exposure to Car Wars, so it's quite beaten up. The back cover was ripped off at some point so it's now blue construction paper. That and Fuel's Gold are the ones I have the most fondness for, the others I didn't get until much later at an online used bookstore.

All of the AADA survival guides - I don't have GURPs, but they're well-used and just fun to read!

Autoduel America map, opened from the shrink wrap but has only been unfolded and laid out a couple times.

Deluxe CW with near-mint rulebook/maps and uncut counters - the box top is sagging from stuff laying on top of it.

Unopened Midville supplement - eBay

A lot of unused stuff because I could never get my friends into the game, they were more into Battletech, which really was fine with me. I have always loved the universe building of Car Wars, it's so vast and interesting.

I sure would love an AADA keychain though!

Edit: Someone else mentioned Thunder Road, I wish I still had mine, it was sitting in my parents' basement in great condition but apparently it was thrown away a few years ago because the box got rotten and smelly? Who knows. It would have been a great game to show to my young son (even just for the cool gamepieces) but the prices on eBay are insane now.

Last edited by PresidentTwoeagles; 07-25-2018 at 12:17 PM.
PresidentTwoeagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:29 AM   #53
swordtart

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentTwoeagles View Post
Edit: Someone else mentioned Thunder Road, I wish I still had mine, it was sitting in my parents' basement in great condition but apparently it was thrown away a few years ago because the box got rotten and smelly? Who knows. It would have been a great game to show to my young son (even just for the cool gamepieces) but the prices on eBay are insane now.
It wouldn't be hard to re-manufacture one and take the opportunity to upscale it for hot-wheels. With the board being in two sections you could also revise it by dividing each board into 2-3 sub-boards (which could be removed one at a time or as a whole "board"). That way it should still fit on the table easily.

Later you could "upgrade" it to use CW rules (possibly incrementally).

Scrolling rolling road fight coolness ;)
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:46 PM   #54
kbs666

I'm guessing the rarest thing I own is an unplayed uncut ziploc Car Wars. Back in the 90's I heard about a game store closing, the owner had died, and me and some friends went to the going out of business sale. The owner's kids were just clearing stuff out for the prices on the product. So we were browsing the milk crates full of stuff and I found it. I assume it got lost somewhere for 15 years behind something.
kbs666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:00 PM   #55
syncrogt1

I just picked up Convoy, a sort of choose your own adventure book. Gosh this would have ben nice as a single player in my early teenage years.

I also picked up Taskforce games' Gauntlet, and while it's OK, it doesn't look amazing.
syncrogt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:45 PM   #56
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by syncrogt1 View Post
I just picked up Convoy, a sort of choose your own adventure book. Gosh this would have ben nice as a single player in my early teenage years.

I also picked up Taskforce games' Gauntlet, and while it's OK, it doesn't look amazing.
TFG's Hell On Wheels is pretty good. Convoy is better, but HoW is still a great amount of fun. And it has a "quick combat system" for using CW designs without having to break out map-and-counters.

Ultraforce is pretty good as a GM'd adventure, and has a better, but much more complex, QCS.

Turbofire is a great racing module - intended for group play. Combine it with UF's or HoW's QCS, and you can race just fine without map-and-counters.

Gauntlet is one I don't have.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 04:44 AM   #57
Racer

Turbofire was great for group play & you could run a whole Race in a day .

Summer Term of 1985 at my Boarding School we took over a Classroom one Sunday & had 11-15 Players racing .

We had a long line of tables down the center of the room , with a long Road Strip & various single person tables around it with players & their vehicle sheets .

Worked very well - I did loose both my Cars though : I used the French design as it had heaviest Armour , but the sneaky git Wurrgle managed to side swipe BOTH causing fatal rolls . WITH THE SAME VEHICLE ! He somehow managed to keep control after both collisions ... I was not a happy bunny , but the crashes were quite spectacular .

During 1984-88 I think we must have run 8 to 10 Races ? Tremendous fun :-)
Old 08-11-2018, 02:27 PM   #58
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
Turbofire was great for group play & you could run a whole Race in a day .
It was nice; but it had a couple flaws which could lead to "impossible" results.

For ex.: The distance mechanism meant one could engage a lapped car, but only if it was *10* laps behind one.

Also: The number of units moved typically ended up having nothing to do with the actual race distance; look at the example event in the manual to see this.

(I have fixes for all that, but by now it's Far Too Late. :P )

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 02:47 AM   #59
Racer

If I recall , Chimpy who was running the Event in the Classroom , had his own variant method going to . We had a lot of fun anyway & that's the most important thing :-)
Old 08-15-2018, 08:37 AM   #60
Blue Ghost

I guess my rarest, and most treasured, is my original Steve Jackson "pocket" black plastic box edition. The one with the autoduellest and rainbow color scheme art on the cover. Looking at it brings back good memories.

If I understand correctly, that was not the first edition, but that there was an earlier edition published by microgames in a ziplock bag. Someone correct me on that if I'm wrong.
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote