Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 09-29-2018, 10:35 AM   #1
Allensh

Default Cidri and Yrth

Random musing, but what if the continent of Ytarria from Yrth (and indeed any other parts of Yrth) were actually located on Cidri?

Allen
Allensh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 11:10 AM   #2
larsdangly

Default Re: Cidri and Yrth

I feel like Yrth is clearly a subset of Cidri.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 11:48 AM   #3
Skarg

Cidri is interesting in that it both says:

* it can hold anything you can imagine, so in that sense yes if someone wants Yrth on Cidri they can have it be there.

but also

* ITL specifies many things about the "known" Cidri that also refer to an immense "known" context that says things like "99% of the wizards on Cidri are members of the Wizards Guild, and the rest used to be" and other wide statements of homogeneity a particular way.

And, Yrth is both similar in some general ways, but in many specific details is very different. The races are rather different flavors even if they have similar names. The magic system and known spells are rather different. There are no world-spanning guilds or gate networks, and the creature catalog is quite different.

I think it'd be easier to play Yrth using TFT rules than to try to locate it on Cidri, but you could certainly do so. When I adapted my original TFT campaign to GURPS, it raised a number of interesting questions with all the specific differences and which things I wanted to change or say were different in one part of the world versus another.

Last edited by Skarg; 09-29-2018 at 01:38 PM. Reason: typo
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:37 PM   #4
JohnPaulB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
* ITL specifies many things about the "known" Cidri that also refer to an immense "known" context that says things like "99% of the wizards on Cidri are members of the Wizards Guild, and the rest used to be" and other wide statements of homogeneity a particular way.
Since there are many, many branches of the Wizards Guild, some of the more remote branches might have a rule that "All Wizards in our domain are granted Wiz Guild Status even if they don't know about us. Only the Dues paying members are eligible to vote."

So the 99% claim might be overzealous promotion. It is to their benefit to make it be like the thing to do. However, even 50% would be huge.

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:00 AM   #5
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaulB View Post
Since there are many, many branches of the Wizards Guild, some of the more remote branches might have a rule that "All Wizards in our domain are granted Wiz Guild Status even if they don't know about us. Only the Dues paying members are eligible to vote."

So the 99% claim might be overzealous promotion. It is to their benefit to make it be like the thing to do. However, even 50% would be huge.
Yeah, I feel like that and some of the "census" like statements must be about some contiguous block, but certainly not everyplace, and no one knows how big Cidri is (or even what it is). If it's as big as some sections say, enough for anyone's campaign, it's certainly a lot bigger than some of the stats other sections listed.

And clearly the Mnoren travelled between many worlds. I tend to think Cidri is probably several worlds and/or planes of existence.

If I were to add Yrth, I'd probably do it by having one or more gates or other magic-world-hopping devices rather than adding it next to a continent on Cidri, though that could be too.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 06:06 PM   #6
ColinK

Gates and worlds-walkers are wonderful tools for the harried game master. Parallel/Alternate universes also come in handy.
ColinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 06:18 PM   #7
larsdangly

I don't feel constrained by the canonical description of wizards and the wizard's guild in TFT. It doesn't really suit my taste in the character and commonness of magic in fantasy campaigns, and feels a bit narrow - I'd rather paint with a wider range of colors when I introduce magical NPCs (or PCs for that matter).
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote