Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 08-31-2004, 07:34 AM   #1
kjamma4

Default Vehicle Design Rules - CW 5.0

Now that it appears that Car Wars is on hiatus (if not temporarily dead), why doesn't SJG put the design rules for CW 5.0 on their website? (the rules that were on Pyramid for playtest which ultimately were never released)

Something is better than nothing.
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 09:00 AM   #2
orphius

Default Re: Vehicle Design Rules - CW 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4
Now that it appears that Car Wars is on hiatus (if not temporarily dead), why doesn't SJG put the design rules for CW 5.0 on their website? (the rules that were on Pyramid for playtest which ultimately were never released)

Something is better than nothing.
As someone who participated, at least marginally in playtesting some of the latest Car Wars material, I think I can say why they would not do this. Simply put, the rules were flawed. When I was reading the playtest I distinctly rememer there being sections of the rules that still needed hammering out, and sections that just didn't work. Also, it has been said several times by SJG staff that they were not happy with the last draft of the rules. Steve Jackson Games is not in the habit of releaseing things they are not happy with, so I do not think that you would see this any time soon.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:39 AM   #3
kjamma4

Well, they "released" them to Pyramid subscribers to playtest so I don't see why they couldn't do the same to the general public.

It would be no problem at all to include a proviso, "These are not actual rules. These are not currently in playtest. However, use them how you will. No warrantees, guarantees, blah, blah, blah."

To those who are clamoring for design rules for Car Wars 5.0, something may be better than nothing.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:44 AM   #4
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Well, they "released" them to Pyramid subscribers to playtest so I don't see why they couldn't do the same to the general public.
Because we don't want to release broken rules.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 12:03 PM   #5
KDLadage

Quote:
To those who are clamoring for design rules for Car Wars 5.0, something may be better than nothing.
And I would argue that having nothing is much, much better than having known broken rules.
KDLadage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 12:38 PM   #6
kjamma4

Andrew - "Because we don't want to release broken rules."

1) Since it's your own forum, I'll refrain from a cheap shot. :)

2) Okay, let's play semantics then. Put them on the free website (as opposed to the paying Pyramid site where they previously appeared as part of playtest) and don't say you are "releasing" them. Put them up simply as "Test notes on CW 5.0 design system that have subsequently been dismissed and will be revisited at an undetermined time in the endetermined future."

KDLadage - "And I would argue that having nothing is much, much better than having known broken rules."

1) Since it's not Wizkids forum, I'll take the cheap shot at the rules of the recently released Pirates of the Spanish Main. :)

2) Once again, don't present as rules but merely a set of test notes.

P.S. I get the hint - they aren't going to appear again.