Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 06-26-2020, 01:26 PM   #41
43Supporter

Default Re: The shurkin challenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juris View Post
No 5 front RLs vans in your games? ;) I call it the 'RocketVan' because I'm creative.
I was thinking more "_Grand Slam_ vs. _VG3_" -- in _CS_, the _Grand Slam_ has 10x HR F; while the _VG3_ designs appear to top out at 2x BC.

The question wasn't a huge one until Gas Engines came along -- I have in my files the _MVR-2K_, which is a Pickup with a 150cid-plus-upgrades gasburner with 2x BC linked F, and an absolute *LOAD* of armor. It's the only design I've ever seen which caused NOVA members to have conniption fits.... :)

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 12:12 PM   #42
juris

Just gonna leave this here - yes it's a glass cannon. But a dedicated gunner with a SWC can hit with the RLs, and most vehicles won't survive two volleys to the same armor location. Regular RL rounds for metal armor.

Rocket Queen -- Van, Heavy chassis, Heavy suspension, Large power plant w/SC, Fire Extinguisher, 4 Puncture-Resistant tires, Driver w/BA and 10-pt CA, Gunner w/SWC and BA and 10-pt CA, 5 Linked Rocket Launchers Front, Flaming Oil Jet Back, Plastic Armor: F25, L20, R20, B20, T10, U10, 2 10-pt Wheelguards Back, 2 10-pt Wheelhubs Front, Gear Allocation: [10 lbs.], Acceleration 5, Top Speed 90, HC 2, 6590 lbs., $19825

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
I was thinking more "_Grand Slam_ vs. _VG3_" -- in _CS_, the _Grand Slam_ has 10x HR F; while the _VG3_ designs appear to top out at 2x BC.

The question wasn't a huge one until Gas Engines came along -- I have in my files the _MVR-2K_, which is a Pickup with a 150cid-plus-upgrades gasburner with 2x BC linked F, and an absolute *LOAD* of armor. It's the only design I've ever seen which caused NOVA members to have conniption fits.... :)
juris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:43 AM   #43
swordtart

Quote:
Just gonna leave this here - yes it's a glass cannon.
Cohete XHvy Trike by Swordtart:
X-Hvy Trike; Extra Heavy chassis; OR suspension;
100 cid Engine w/Turbo; 4 gal. Duelling tank;
3 OR Solid tires.
Driver.
5 x AP Rocket Launcher w/50xArmor Piercing (1xF, 2xR, 2xL);
Flaming Oil Discharger (B).
Smart Link; 2xLink (Side RLs);
Hi-Res Computer;
HD Shocks.
160 pts. Plastic (F: 35 R: 35 L: 35 B: 20 T: 25 U: 10);
1x8 pt. Plastic Guards F;
2x8 pt. Plastic Guards B.
Cargo 8lb
Cost: $24,170, Wgt: 4,190,
HC: 2, Top Speed: 65, Accel: 5/10.

Favoured by Mexican border raiders as a support vehicle, this is a heavier version of the light raider (also unimaginatively called Cohete). A comparatively expensive design it is usually driven by trusted enforcers and forms the back line in any punishment mission against those who have angered the Jefe.

If the munitions are swapped out to standard explosive rounds even a single vehicle can devastate poorly defended rural communities (or rival bike gangs) in a few seconds. Of course other rounds can be used making this a flexible multi mission vehicle.

The OR set-up is well suited to the rough terrain where the raiders normally operate and often allows extraction across terrain impassable to more conventional vehicles. Under these circumstances the low top speed is also not usually an issue.

The solid armour and 75% all round offence makes this vehicle dangerous in road combat, though its low top speed means running is always an option.
Unfortunately the Cohete is liable to be laid up in ambush off from the road and the first you will know of its presence will be the first barrage. For most conventional road vehicles there wont need to be a second.

I also had the desire for a 10 dice thumper and RL seemed logical given the weight advantage. My platform was an XHvy Trike as I could get 5 into the front arc by putting linked pairs on the sides and smart linking them. This also gave additional flexibility as I could still put fire into the side arcs.

It is more expensive than the van, but the majority of that is in the HR Computer. If this is swapped out for a basic computer the greater survivability (better armour and just being slightly harder to hit) and off-road capability is sufficient to justify the cost. The lack of a dedicated gunner does disadvantage it slightly.

Last edited by swordtart; 07-01-2020 at 12:49 AM.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:08 AM   #44
juris

I approve of this madness.

Except you will totally explode. With all those rockets it'll be an amazing firework display though ;)

The easy fix is FP armor but that'll up the cost, but you could just downgrade the HR computer to pay for it, and maybe the suspension because trikes do fine OR with a hvy suspension as long as they have OR tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post
X-Hvy Trike; Extra Heavy chassis; OR suspension;
100 cid Engine w/Turbo; 4 gal. Duelling tank;
3 OR Solid tires.
Driver.
5 x AP Rocket Launcher w/50xArmor Piercing (1xF, 2xR, 2xL);
Flaming Oil Discharger (B).
Smart Link; 2xLink (Side RLs);
Hi-Res Computer;
HD Shocks.
160 pts. Plastic (F: 35 R: 35 L: 35 B: 20 T: 25 U: 10);
1x8 pt. Plastic Guards F;
2x8 pt. Plastic Guards B.
Cargo 8lb
Cost: $24,170, Wgt: 4,190,
HC: 2, Top Speed: 65, Accel: 5/10.

Favoured by Mexican border raiders as a support vehicle, this is a heavier version of the light raider (also unimaginatively called Cohete). A comparatively expensive design it is usually driven by trusted enforcers and forms the back line in any punishment mission against those who have angered the Jefe.

If the munitions are swapped out to standard explosive rounds even a single vehicle can devastate poorly defended rural communities (or rival bike gangs) in a few seconds. Of course other rounds can be used making this a flexible multi mission vehicle.

The OR set-up is well suited to the rough terrain where the raiders normally operate and often allows extraction across terrain impassable to more conventional vehicles. Under these circumstances the low top speed is also not usually an issue.

The solid armour and 75% all round offence makes this vehicle dangerous in road combat, though its low top speed means running is always an option.
Unfortunately the Cohete is liable to be laid up in ambush off from the road and the first you will know of its presence will be the first barrage. For most conventional road vehicles there wont need to be a second.

I also had the desire for a 10 dice thumper and RL seemed logical given the weight advantage. My platform was an XHvy Trike as I could get 5 into the front arc by putting linked pairs on the sides and smart linking them. This also gave additional flexibility as I could still put fire into the side arcs.

It is more expensive than the van, but the majority of that is in the HR Computer. If this is swapped out for a basic computer the greater survivability (better armour and just being slightly harder to hit) and off-road capability is sufficient to justify the cost. The lack of a dedicated gunner does disadvantage it slightly.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:20 PM   #45
43Supporter

Quote:
One of my Division-10 CME[*]-class compacts could take this to the cleaners easily -- 12 points of Metal on each facing, plus "backstop" plastic (remember: Metal armor takes each hit separately, not in a lump).

[*: Compact, Metal-armor, Electric power]

I think at this point, we've kind-of wandered away from "what can one do with a _Shuriken_", tho'. :)

79er

Old 07-01-2020, 03:42 PM   #46
swordtart

Hey, it was you guys who left the party, I only came over to ask if there was any more beer ;)

It isn't designed to take on compacts. The ram trucks do that.

Last edited by swordtart; 07-01-2020 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-02-2020, 11:32 AM   #47
juris

I believe someone wanted a rocket Shuriken and one thing led to another ;)

Quote:
Hey, it was you guys who left the party, I only came over to ask if there was any more beer ;)

It isn't designed to take on compacts. The ram trucks do that.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:10 PM   #48
43Supporter

Quote:
I believe someone wanted a rocket Shuriken and one thing led to another ;)
Well, there was the Uncle Schmal gag about a cycle upgrade which turned into a OGRE Mk. V.... :)

I know I have a _Shuriken Wagon_ in my files; not sure if I ever went as far as a Pickup, or Van....

79er

Old 07-08-2020, 11:12 AM   #49
ckosacranoid

I see no one has done a version with anything from uncle smelbert and some of his wacky toys....
ckosacranoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 11:24 AM   #50
swordtart

Nope, cos they are barmy ;)