Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 12-23-2008, 06:03 PM   #31
Gawain

Default Re: Munchkin Quest Miniatures

Well in normal Chess, the starting position is the only time the pawn is able to move two spaces, so that's not really a requirement in itself. Right?
Old 12-24-2008, 01:08 AM   #32
Humorme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawain
Well in normal Chess, the starting position is the only time the pawn is able to move two spaces, so that's not really a requirement in itself. Right?

That was basically my point as well. The fact is, if you can actually find someone who would play chess with munchkin pieces then they are probably a munchkin fan. So, first of all, you have to convince a munchkin fan to play chess INSTEAD of munchkin. Secondly, considering the munchkin pawn rule is already something that would only be allowed in frivolous chess playing, it would obviously have to be a rule agreement between the two players. Just saying, I don't think we're going to get an official ruling on this one. :P
Old 12-24-2008, 04:39 AM   #33
MunchkinMan

1. There's already a thread for this, so it's time to stop discussing it in a separate thread.
  2. The whole point of that other thread is coming up with ideas on how to use these pieces in other games. We're not going to call any of these uses official, so you're never going to get an official ruling on them. How can I make an official ruling on something YOU created in your head?
  3. Even if it's one of the starter rules that the SJG crew came up with, there is still not going to be a lot of "official" backing on these because they're being sold for you to do what you want with them.
  4. Finally, it says that a Munchkin Pawn can move forward 2 spaces at any time. So, either en passant works all the time or only from the starting move depending on the chess rules for en passant. Since this is not a chess forum, I can't guarantee a good answer to that question for you. The most I can tell you, with respect to chess, is I actually knew the term "en passant." So: Come up with your own house rule or check with some chess experts and see what they think.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 09:01 AM   #34
mib2932

"En passant" can only be used if the 2 space movement was used with the intention of bypassing a capture - the opposing pawn had to be on rank 5 already, the pawn uses it's 2 space movement, and the opponent must use the en passant movement immediately.

So, common sense would say that the same conditions must be present when using the Munchkin pawn - the opposing pawn must be in place already, the Munchkin pawn must move two spaces, and the opponent must immediately capture.

For those who don't know, "en passant" means "in passing". The capture is done as the piece is moving through the space which would allow a normal capture.
mib2932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 02:54 PM   #35
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by mib2932
So, common sense would say that the same conditions must be present when using the Munchkin pawn
Well, sure - if you're going to go with common sense.

I'm more inclined to slip into munchkin-rules-lawyer mode and say "the rules said 'on the starting move' and that wasn't the starting move," just because it's more munchkin-like IMHO. YMMV.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 03:39 PM   #36
mib2932

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk
Well, sure - if you're going to go with common sense.

I'm more inclined to slip into munchkin-rules-lawyer mode and say "the rules said 'on the starting move' and that wasn't the starting move," just because it's more munchkin-like IMHO. YMMV.
Well, actually, en passant cannot be done on the capturing piece's starting move - it would have to have moved at least twice previously. Besides, if you're going that route, then a pawn can only move two spaces on it's first move, and therefore a munchkin piece can only move two spaces on it's first move, making it a normal pawn. The point is to adjust the rules for using the new piece.
mib2932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 02:47 PM   #37
robkelk
Untitled

Default Re: Munchkin Pawn Rules!

Back to the pawn rules...

Dino Hunt: Moving on the Time Track takes one less Energy than normal.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:06 PM   #38
Marcus Evenstar

Location: Comfy Chair, Seattle Metroplex, NW US, NorthAm, Sol-3, Sector 2814

YAY! Someone already answered my potential question about Dino Hunt. But what about putting dinos into Munchkin Quest?

In the meantime, here's a suggestion for Dork Tower: Backpack of Holding - each munchkin can hold four items instead of just two.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:46 PM   #39
RevBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Evenstar
YAY! Someone already answered my potential question about Dino Hunt. But what about putting dinos into Munchkin Quest?
Heh - I was cleaning up a MQ game this weekend and found one of the new Frag pawns on the board. Now that's really Looking For Trouble!

Hmm, Frag pawns and MQ tiles. There's got to be some way to capitalize on that.

Looking for a St. Aosbczkcs medal.
RevBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:08 PM   #40
Warren

Mock one up into a Ork Warboss for 40k. :D
[10:10] Happyelf: dude, you are bad at this
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote