Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-24-2019, 11:39 AM   #1
Mobuttu

Default Outlaw campaign

Hi everybody,

I'm new to GURPS, so sorry in advance if this have been asked before.

I'm planning to run a Robin Hood Outlaw campaign (I guess, TL3).

My question is about what disadvantatge I have to use for PC to be outlaws.

I have been digging in the forums, and it seems the best option is Enemies (Nottingham sheriff or his guards), 9 or Less, Hunter) for -20 points to apply to every PC in the game.

Do you agree? Have any other idea/option that fits better?

Thank you.
Mobuttu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 11:41 AM   #2
Stormcrow

Default Re: Outlaw campaign

Enemies is the basic thing. Robin Hood will also have a Reputation: negative with the authorities and positive with the peasants.

Remember, though, that if Enemies is a required disadvantage for all player characters, it shouldn't count against any disadvantage limit you set.

Being a Merry Man might mean you should take a Claim to Hospitality. They should certainly all have a Code of Honor, and most probably have a Sense of Duty.

Last edited by Stormcrow; 09-24-2019 at 11:45 AM.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 11:47 AM   #3
Anders

In addition to enemy, I recommend Social Stigma (Criminal) and a positive Reputation with the common folk. Survival is highly recommended.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:58 PM   #4
Stormcrow

Being a Merry Man doesn't really conform to the description of Social Stigma (Criminal Record). Only the rich from whom you steal react negatively toward you; you're a folk hero to everyone else. You're not legally prohibited from owning things that others aren't prohibited, getting jobs, or traveling. And you may never have been caught in the first place.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:59 PM   #5
johndallman
Night Watchman

The whole package would be:

Social Stigma (Criminal). That makes you a known criminal, and means anyone who actually supports or favours you has to do so quietly.

Enemies (Sheriff of Nottingham). Robin Hood and his men have this because they're persistent and annoying criminals; not every criminal has the head of local law enforcement interested in their case.

Reputation +2, +3 or +4 (Common people of Nottinghamshire, Large Group).

Survival (Woodlands) [4] Per+1.

Area Knowledge (Sherwood Forrest) [2] IQ+1

Then add combat skills, leadership and social skills, skills for previous ways of making a living, and so on.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 05:05 PM   #6
Eukie

The specific legal situation of being an Outlaw, a legal wolf, with no protection by the laws of the land against any crime, seems to conform to Social Stigma: Subjugated [-20].
Eukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 07:19 PM   #7
Mobuttu

Thnaks everyone for your answers:

1) I see Enemies is then the basic feature. It'll be like this:

Enemies (Sheriff of Nottingham; 9 or less, Hunted), to show they are wanted criminals.

2) I really don't see a Social Stigma (Criminal) disadvantage in the mood of the campaign. I'd rather prefer the Reputation effect, so:

Reputation (Folk Hero): +2, +3 or +4 (Common people of Nottinghamshire, Large Group).
Reputation (Criminal): -2, -3 or -4 (Noble people of Nottinghamshire, Large Group).

I'm playing with the idea that both reputations cancel eachother out. So, the greater the positive reputation the lower the negative one. Meaning that the more loved by common folk the more hated be the noble class. But I'm not really sure about that. What do you think?

3) Area Knowledge (Sherwood Forrest) [2] IQ+1 is a must!

4) On the other hand, I don't see Survival (Woodlands) [4] Per+1 really necessary in the package, but I rather leave it dependening on the type of character the players want to portrait, but I definitely suggest it for the PC to have it, at least for those ones that are more "Hunter/Ranger/Wildernessmanish".

5) Claim to Hospitality. I like the part that characters are expected to help other people back, but for the first part I think it's already covered by the reputation reaction roll.

6) Code of Honor (Merry Man). Do not harm the innocent. You cannot fight for justice by unjust means. Uphold justice where law has failed. Take the excess from the wealthy to feed the starving. Be true to your fellows. Betrayal is afoul deed.
Old 09-24-2019, 08:07 PM   #8
Dalillama

Ally Group: Merry Men 12-
Patron: Robin Hood 12-
1) I see Enemies is then the basic feature. It'll be like this:

Enemies (Sheriff of Nottingham; 9 or less, Hunted), to show they are wanted criminals. Prince John's men, 6-
Social Stigma: Outlaw*
2) I really don't see a Social Stigma (Criminal) disadvantage in the mood of the campaign. I'd rather prefer the Reputation effect, so:

Reputation (Folk Hero): +4 (Common people of Nottinghamshire, Large Group, +2 from Saxons (read Commoners) anywhere).
Reputation (Criminal): -2, -3 or -4 (Noble people of Nottinghamshire, Large Group).[/B] (See Social Stigma)
[B]Fanaticism: Robin and his cause

I'm playing with the idea that both reputations cancel eachother out. So, the greater the positive reputation the lower the negative one. Meaning that the more loved by common folk the more hated be the noble class. But I'm not really sure about that. What do you think?

3) Area Knowledge (Sherwood Forrest) [2] IQ+3 is a must!, Area Knowledge (Nottinghamshire) [2] IQ+1, Longbow, Climbing, Brawling, Staff, (Broadsword or Shortsword): DX, Survival (Forest), Traps, Tracking, Camouflage:Per , plus at least one skill relevan to ypur profession before joining up

4) On the other hand, I don't see Survival (Woodlands) [4] Per+1 really necessary in the package, but I rather leave it dependening on the type of character the players want to portrait, but I definitely suggest it for the PC to have it, at least for those ones that are more "Hunter/Ranger/Wildernessmanish".

5) Claim to Hospitality. I like the part that characters are expected to help other people back, but for the first part I think it's already covered by the reputation reaction roll. This didn't exist in 3e, and is a good addition IMO

6) Code of Honor (Merry Man). Do not harm the innocent. You cannot fight for justice by unjust means. Uphold justice where law has failed. Take the excess from the wealthy to feed the starving. Be true to your fellows. Betrayal is afoul deed.Muster at Robin's call, support King Richard (Your wording isn't exactly the same, but it's near enough as makes no difference)

According to my handy copy of GURPS Robin Hood, this is almost exactly right, allowing for the change in editions since it was published. I've highlighted the changes from what you put.

*not quite the same thing as Criminal

Last edited by Dalillama; 09-24-2019 at 08:10 PM.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 05:05 AM   #9
Mobuttu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
According to my handy copy of GURPS Robin Hood, this is almost exactly right, allowing for the change in editions since it was published. I've highlighted the changes from what you put.
Wow! That's very interesting. Besides, I didn't know there were a Robin Hood GURPS book, which I have already bought. :)
Old 09-26-2019, 07:24 AM   #10
Mobuttu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
Remember, though, that if Enemies is a required disadvantage for all player characters, it shouldn't count against any disadvantage limit you set.
Why is that? I can't find it in the book. Would you be so kind to point it to me?

Thanks.

Tags
outlaw, robin hood