Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-22-2013, 03:37 AM   #1
Tarmicle

Default Simple and straightforward question about eating disgusting food

Hello everyone,

A simple question: do you think eating disgusting food (for surviving e.g. insects, spiders, rats, pet food, semi rotten food -or just because the PC finds it disgusting because of personal tastes) requires a roll?

Thanks!
Tarmicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:16 AM   #2
Blood Legend

Default Re: Simple and straightforward question about eating disgusting food

Basic Will Roll. After its in there, any time someone makes a comment about the food they just ate, another Will Roll. Once the will roll is failed (it'll eventually fail), HT Roll to not vomit.

"This is the sort of relatively small error that destroys planetary probes." ~Bruno
Blood Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:10 AM   #3
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmicle View Post
Hello everyone,

A simple question: do you think eating disgusting food (for surviving e.g. insects, spiders, rats, pet food, semi rotten food -or just because the PC finds it disgusting because of personal tastes) requires a roll?

Thanks!
Pet food is taste tested by humans as we are the ones buying it. It needs to be pleasing or at least look like food to us far more than to our pets.
What is and is not disgusting is purely subjective and might depend on Cultural Familiarity in a pinch.
Cheese is pretty disgusting on the surface, being "rotted" congealed milk after all. Insects are down right nutritious and eaten by most human societies I think.
I'm lactose intolerant, but for whatever reason cannot smell rotten milk, and it smells bad long before it actually becomes toxic. I once drank some fat free lactose reduced milk that had started to clump up. What the heck was clumping? My GF couldn't go into the kitchen for over a day or two because of the smell.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:19 AM   #4
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Legend View Post
Basic Will Roll. After its in there, any time someone makes a comment about the food they just ate, another Will Roll. Once the will roll is failed (it'll eventually fail), HT Roll to not vomit.
The Will roll has to be modified according to how disgusting the food is, because all disgusting food is not equally disgusting!
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:37 AM   #5
Hemlock

Definitely a Will Roll ... maybe at a penalty if the "food" is truly vile.

If the food is actually noxious/ toxic/ poisonous, then a HT roll (with modifiers) may become necessary.

Example, I find snails to be disgusting ... and a Will roll would be required to eat them. If those snails happened to be poisonous, then a Will roll would be required to swallow them; followed by a HT roll to not be affected by their poisonous nature.
Hemlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:40 AM   #6
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
The Will roll has to be modified according to how disgusting the food is, because all disgusting food is not equally disgusting!
The real use of Cast Iron Stomach is being able to eat the "home cooking" of some people I know but won't mention. Apropos of nothing, I love my mom.
I certainly consider one level to be fully realistic for humans.
Did you know that intensity of mold flavor correlates strongly with color and degree of hydration? I had a bad habit of eating without looking carefully first. Did you also know that white fluffy mold on pumpkin pie looks kind of like whipped topping?
Old 08-22-2013, 07:08 AM   #7
DanHoward

Heh. I can eat pretty much anything if you don't tell me what it is and give me two pieces of bread in which to hide it :)

For me it would be something like:
-2 Will ... Unknown disgusting food
-5 Will ... You tell me what it is before I eat it

Add +1 if I can cover it in gravy
Add +1 if I can make a sandwich
Add +3 if it is cooked

Last edited by DanHoward; 08-22-2013 at 07:16 AM.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:23 AM   #8
Flyndaran
Untagged

Concept, flavor, texture, smell, and specific combinations of them can all turn nice things into horror.
I have issues with certain viscosities. Super thin like water or diet sodas are great. Super thick like milkshakes, or other tasty "sludges" are great. But stuff in between around the consistency of 2% to whole milk disgust me beyond belief.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:42 AM   #9
The Colonel

Actively breaching a food taboo could be potentially worse - IIRC it has been known to cause last psychological damage when forced (whether through dire necessity or violence) or as a result of deceit.
Fright check? I seem to recall there is the potential to scrape up some mental disadvantages from that...

Apart from that, Will rolls seem sensible ... or perhaps some version of the conisseur skill given that a great many vile things are eaten in the guise of delicacies (a staggering number of cultures seem to have at least one foodstuff that they allow to become thoroughly rotten before eating it - if you've encountred enough of them it might be some sort of advantage when that very dead skunk is the only food at hand).
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:06 AM   #10
Flyndaran
Untagged

I forgot about those kind of taboos. Tricking an orthodox Jew or Muslim into eating pork would be grounds for hate crime prosecution I imagine.