Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-13-2017, 05:14 PM   #11
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Catalog of the Weird Parallels

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTTG View Post
Neverland is home to humans with a modified metabolism. They sleep for only two hours a night, and apparently learn quite quickly, but tend to die around 35 or so.

The current TL is 6, and it doesn't seem likely to rise much more due to the short time horizons. Anyone over 16 or so is in their prime, and past 25 they're an elder (and effectively have Social Regard).
This an interesting idea done many different ways in fiction. Logan's Run where everyone "ascends" at 30 being the most notable one.
Sliders had an episode where society is only really allowed for a similar age range which leads to more frenetic lifestyles. Even with short effective lives, the scramble to make a mark leads to self destructive burn outs.

I could see a humanoid species strongly evolving toward less personal of goals than ours. Cooperation for group projects long and short term are almost the entirety of society to them.

Tags
infinite worlds, weird worlds