Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-06-2016, 09:18 PM   #21
weby

Default Re: Mailanka's Musings -- GURPS Content Post

A note on Star Wars and converting things vs creating own.

I did actually convert the Old Republic Era to Gurps and run a 74 session game in it. The players liked it a lot. The mostly stated reason for liking it was that it was familiar to them and that there was a lot of background material and such available so they had an easy time of assuming the roles and feeling part of the universe.

If you try to create even a small part of that for a game you will never get to actually run it as you die of old age... In my own scifi setting that I have been building for four years, I have drawn inspirations from many places and have 170 000+ words total material in(that includes both the universe material and the actual rules) and yet it is just a small fraction of the things needed to get to same level, so I will not even try.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:59 PM   #22
Mailanka

GURPS Day comes earlier in the Netherlands than to America.

The first real material for Psi-Wars is up. It's simple, but that's to be expected.

Next week is a data-dump week! We have this material, we need to playtest it, and I doubt you want four weeks of playtest characters slowly dripping onto my blog, therefore every day next week, a post will drop on my blog until the playtest is complete.

The week after, we begin Iteration 2.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:57 PM   #23
Mailanka

Day one of the data dump: Dun Beltain, Space Knight, the first playtest character.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:55 PM   #24
Mailanka

Day two of the data dump: Kendra Corleoni, Bounty Hunter.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:33 AM   #25
Kalzazz

As a DM I would probably cringe a bit seeing these characters, Kendra in particular would be sent back to the player with a 'you should raise IQ, drop the +1 Per and drop IQ skills by 1 or give me a very compelling reason why not'

Dun . . . well, skill 14 in his main weapon, judo with him being encumbered by his armor . . . well, uhm.
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:44 AM   #26
Kalzazz

Also not sure where Kendra's cost of 5 for her Speed 6 comes from. I suspect buried somewhere in her race (I really dislike seeing races or other bundled things on character sheets, I much prefer seeing the atomic elements)

Wouldn't Kendra also have -1 Dex from her layered armor? Or is this something where such penalties won't happen?
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:03 PM   #27
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Also not sure where Kendra's cost of 5 for her Speed 6 comes from. I suspect buried somewhere in her race (I really dislike seeing races or other bundled things on character sheets, I much prefer seeing the atomic elements)

Wouldn't Kendra also have -1 Dex from her layered armor? Or is this something where such penalties won't happen?
from her attributes: she has HT 11 and DX 12

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:12 PM   #28
Mailanka

Quote:
As a DM I would probably cringe a bit seeing these characters, Kendra in particular would be sent back to the player with a 'you should raise IQ, drop the +1 Per and drop IQ skills by 1 or give me a very compelling reason why not'

Dun . . . well, skill 14 in his main weapon, judo with him being encumbered by his armor . . . well, uhm.
Quote:

When I work on a campaign setting myself, I tinker with rules and templates and then quickly make a decision, as I'm sure most creators do, and you don't see the thought process behind why I made those choices. Part of the point of Psi Wars is to show you that thought process. Normally, I would have tinkered with these templates, said "Wow, these need work" and done the work. Now, you get to see me tinkering with the templates and you're saying "Wow, these need work."

Yes, yes they do. They offer very limited choices (or none at all: Most of the skills for the templates are simply a list of "Take these skills!" with no choice of specialization or focus) and they're not particularly optimized. They'll do, I suppose, as I show in the playtest coming Friday, but it could be much better. Space was written in a much older era of GURPS, long before DF and Action gave us more streamlined templates.

Iteration two will revisit templates.

As for the rest: Dun "only" has light encumbrance. Wrestling might arguably be better, but it wasn't an option. Karate was an even worse option for him, and I considered but discarded Pilot (it wasn't going to come up in the playtest). Frankly, I didn't give it much thought because his force sword and blaster are so much more important than how well he can grapple with someone, not that it makes that limited option much better. What really kills me is the lack of Weapon Master (Does "knightly weapons" apply to force swords? Why not an option for just a force sword?) and why no Fast-Draw? Do you know how long it takes to get a force sword up and running without fast-draw? You have to draw it, you have to then turn it on, and then it won't materialize until the end of your turn!

And as for the layering of armor... I'm not really sure how that's supposed to work in Ultra-Tech. Biosuits can explicitly be worn under other forms of armor, so I get the impression that it layers "for free," the same way clothes can. As for Kendra's template, it's the Felinoid template in Basic, so you can look at it yourself. It too has... problems. She doesn't have Night Vision (?) or Fur (??) and she has DR of 1 (???) which I'm always forgetting, because who would guess that a cat girl would have a DR of 1?

EDIT: And for clarity, I work ahead so I know that my posting schedule will keep up. I'm actually rounding up Iteration 3 this week, so I've already moved far past this version of Kendra. Thus, if I seem a little dazed as to why I made what choices I did at the time, that may be why.

Last edited by Mailanka; 01-19-2016 at 12:36 PM.
Mailanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:15 PM   #29
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
because who would guess that a cat girl would have a DR of 1?
David L. Pulver would!
Old 01-19-2016, 12:20 PM   #30
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
from her attributes: she has HT 11 and DX 12
Actually, I think it might be a mistake. A bounty hunter is DX 12 and HT 10 with Basic Speed 6.0 [10]. I clearly gave her +1 HT as part of her "You get bonus points because I'm not running this without Luck and Dun wants psychic powers," because HT 11 is damn handy, and then that lowered the cost of her Basic Speed by 5: DX 12, HT 11, Basic Speed 6 [5]

But, of course, Felinoids get +1 DX and -1 ST, so she should be DX 13 HT 11 Basic Speed 6 [0]. Kalzazz is right.

Tags
blog, blogs, determined attack, telegraphic attack