Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-03-2022, 10:26 PM   #1
HeatDeath

Default Announcement: TFT: Wizard Random Figure Generator

I've been a huge fan of Melee since the TFT Kickstarter, but I've always had a hard time wrapping my head around Wizard. Even getting it to the table is hard for me - there are so many more choices to make than Melee's "pick your ST/DX balance, pick a weapon, pick some armor", and I tend to get bogged down in analysis paralysis, particularly when it comes to picking spells.

To bootstrap my way past this, I've written a random figure generator for Wizard. It allows you to specify a points total, and whether you want a staff, and it randomly sets your attributes, and randomly picks the appropriate number of spells, at appropriate levels for your IQ.

It's designed for the Wizards microgame specifically, so you can use it to generate wizards ready for the T'Reo arena, for Death Test 1 or 2, or similar introductory adventures. You can take the wizards as is, and enjoy the challenge of trying to make them work, or you can use them as a starting point, substituting in spells to make sure your favorite combinations are available. Per the Wizard microgame, it doesn't generate talents or gear lists, or supply weapons or armor, but it populates your spell list for you and gives you a solid starting point.

You can download it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k656572kby...rator.zip?dl=0
Simply unzip the .exe and run it. I am happy to supply C# sourcecode upon request.

When you open the app, you'll see a place to enter your character's name, the number of points you want to use (default 32), a checkbox for whether your wizard will have a staff (and the required Staff spell), and a Generate button. Press the Generate button to create your wizard.

Once you generate your wizard, their stats and spell list will appear in the textbox below, and be automatically copied to your clipboard so you can paste it into a text editor and print.

[At this point the "Standard Format" button will unlock. Pressing this prints out the spell list in a format compatible with Henry Cobb's TFT CP Calculator [https://www.hcobb.com/tft/tftcalc.html] so you can perform other calculations, including memory points, with the character.]

The About button displays the SJGames Online Policy link and disclosure.

I started writing this in April 2019, got 90% done, hit a bug, stalled out, got distracted, and never got back to it. but now it's done and ready for release! Please don't hesitate to reply with any feedback or questions, and enjoy!

Last edited by HeatDeath; 08-03-2022 at 11:11 PM.
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 06:04 AM   #2
Bill_in_IN

Default Re: Announcement: TFT: Wizard Random Figure Generator

Interesting. I'll check it out.

Sometimes, you need to generate a wizard quickly. This could be an option. Generating a wizard takes much thought and planning. It's usually OK for basic parts of the character build but the last few spell choices seem to be the toughest.
Bill_in_IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 06:14 AM   #3
hcobb

I also have a tool to mass generate wizards (or other characters)

https://www.hcobb.com/tft/rand_squad...group=B&wiz=12
Old 08-04-2022, 07:32 AM   #4
tomc

Cool!

You never know when you're going to need to pull a wizard out of your hat. So to speak.

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 10:37 AM   #5
DeadParrot

One method to create characters that we have used for GURPS is to assign starting stats to everything and begin play. Don't worry about picking spells or talents. During play, if you want to use a weapon, talent or spell, pay the points for it at that time. If you miss a roll by one, consider spending points for a stat boost. A big advantage to this method is every thing on your character sheet was used at least once and you don't spend a bunch of time before the game worrying about choices.
DeadParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 11:49 AM   #6
HeatDeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadParrot View Post
One method to create characters that we have used for GURPS is to assign starting stats to everything and begin play. Don't worry about picking spells or talents. During play, if you want to use a weapon, talent or spell, pay the points for it at that time. If you miss a roll by one, consider spending points for a stat boost. A big advantage to this method is every thing on your character sheet was used at least once and you don't spend a bunch of time before the game worrying about choices.
Heh. That's very clever, I hadn't thought of that. Thank you.

They say your first combat really shapes your character, but I don't think this is what they meant! :)

[This is very similar to the Concealment systems in the new Car Wars. You pay 4/8 points for what is essentially a black box during your build, and once during combat you trade it in for 3/6 points of whatever weapons seem most useful at the moment. Not the most realistic thing (unless you're positing some very advanced nanotechnology), but a neat fun play mechanic.]
Old 09-14-2022, 11:40 PM   #7
HeatDeath

Update - v1.1

The download link remains the same: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k656572kby...rator.zip?dl=0

This update adds the following features:
  • There is now a "Randomize Name" button next to the name textbox that will generate a custom name for your Wizard!
  • There is now a checkbox that will force the minimum IQ of your wizard to 9 and automatically add the Aid spell, so you can easily generate apprentices, assistants, and henchwizards!
  • Spells are now sorted by ST required to cast.
Special thanks to tomc for the new features!