Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 01-20-2020, 07:25 PM   #1
b-dog

Default Ifrit

I am wondering about the Ifri ( and the rest of the jinn kind) in the DF world. Could these guys be of a nasty disposition but not Infernally Evil like demons? I would like them to be sort of different than the demons (Not affected by holy objects that kill Evil, at least no more so than the item would affect neutral monster). Of course they would be affected by things that affect spirits. What do you think?
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 02:53 AM   #2
Anders

Default Re: Ifrit

I think that's a good idea. Differentiating tribes of spirits gives a more living and detailed world.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:32 AM   #3
Yssa

Yes -- I've always thought of Djinn and their kin as human-hating (due to millennia of imprisonment in Lamps and forced wish-granting) but not Evil in the cosmic sense. Just evil in the exclusively human sense of if you don't actively support me or expect me to take accountability for my actions you must be evil.

This view may have been heavily Inlfuenced by the Bartimeaus Trilogy.
Yssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 09:15 PM   #4
Dalin

Yeah, I vote for evil with a small e. Wherever the ifrit come from, they might not even be all that evil. Most of them might not care about humans. Beneath their attention.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 04:00 AM   #5
blacksmith

I can see Spirits existing from all the power sources, Good being angels, evil being demons, magic and nature being like the fey and similar and magic being where I would put the Ifrit.

Not being aligned with Evil does not mean they are not valid enemies, though it means that negotiation might be more possible.
blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:28 AM   #6
LoneWolf23k

3e Arabian Nights treated Ifrits as a more powerful category of Djinn, second in power only to the Marids. So I would personally handled them as a loose caste hierarchy, going Ghul-Lesser Djinn-Typical Djinn-Ifrit-Marid.
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote