Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 03-12-2020, 11:38 PM   #1
stashhound

Default Entering into HTH with Megahex creatures

If the criteria a,b,c, and d. Has not been met for HTH. If I have not been pushed back. Can I still enter into HTH with a megahex creature? Or say I am the giant creature and I open a box that happens to have 4 spiders in it. The spiders dive into HTH immediately. I did not push them back or attempt to trample them yet. Criteria A,B,C, and D has not been met. How are we in HTH?

Last edited by stashhound; 03-12-2020 at 11:44 PM.
stashhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 03:43 AM   #2
hcobb

Default Re: Entering into HTH with Megahex creatures

Human sized figures no more force HTH on multi-hex figures than rats force men to hunch over into HTH.

See Trampling at ITL 126.
Old 03-13-2020, 04:31 AM   #3
stashhound

I do not expect the giant sized creature to be in HTH.... But after the push back you make your save roll. If you fail the larger creature has a chance at trample. You being prone can either attempt to get up, or start hth with the large creature. How you do you figure out a way to get enter HTH without failing your push back save. Aside from the potential trample I would imagine that taking would require you to enter HTH with that large creature as choice, Rather than as a result of a failed push back saving roll? Also I am having issues with the spiders just being there in HTH.... Poof there they are. I cannot wrapt my head around that.
Old 03-13-2020, 05:43 AM   #4
Shostak

If a figure agrees to HTH, HTH is automatic. I'd say that the single-hex figure being pushed by a multi-hex figure could voluntarily go into HTH. But the larger figure won't be (unless it wants to, too). The smaller figure falls in the hex and would be subject to trampling.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 10:04 AM   #5
larsdangly

The only exception/house rules I use in these situations are:

I allow combatants to enter HTH as part of their movement rather than as an action if they are able to do so without being engaged. If, however, they start the turn engaged or become engaged in the course of their movement then they must use their action for that turn to attempt to enter HTH. I believe this is implied by the various statements in the rule book, so I consider it a clarification rather than a house rule.

If a larger figure approaches a smaller figure from the front facing, the rule above applies, but two special conditions also apply: 1) the smaller figure gets one last attack before the collision IF and only if they had a ready, set pole weapon; and 2) the collision is resolved using the 'push back' rules (i.e., the end result is HTH combat only if the smaller figure fails their DX roll and falls to the ground; if they make that roll, they get shoved back a hex and the larger figure will have to use an action to enter HTH, just like anyone else). This is a little more complicated because I don't think you can figure out exactly what is supposed to happen in this situation using the RAW, but I think my rulings capture the spirit of things implied by several different rules (push backs and over runs; engagement; HTH; how pikes work)

Last edited by larsdangly; 03-13-2020 at 10:09 AM.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 10:22 AM   #6
larsdangly

Also, I consider swarms of little things to be exceptions - their close approach to you is functionally just their attack and doesn't impose restrictions on you that come with HTH, like making you fall down or drop things. However, I treat attacks against swarming things like that in the same way as fighting in or attacking into HTH: you can't use your own large weapon to attack a spider, rat or wasp that is on you; anyone else who strikes into your hex against such a thing might hit you, just like striking into HTH. So, basically this is a special situation that I think should be treated as a hybrid of HTH and normal attack rules.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 10:25 AM   #7
hcobb

I use the exact same rules for X enters Y's hex for any type of critter for X and Y:

https://www.hcobb.com/tft/house_rules.html#HTH

But then I also tossed out "Roll to Miss" and replaced it with blind shots, so YMMV.
Old 03-13-2020, 03:19 PM   #8
TippetsTX

I seem to recall that we had a rule that said HTH was only possible between figures of the same hex-size (or at least within one step).
Old 03-13-2020, 05:08 PM   #9
stashhound

Thank you all for taking the time to think about and reply to my question. I think I will rule that small creatures can willingly enter into hth from the front or side hexes at the end of movement. Allowing for the larger creature not to be engaged. So he can still engaged other same sized opponents while being attacked by the smaller opponent. If the smaller creature attempts this then the larger creature gets a roll vs dex. A save roll if you will. If he makes this roll he gets an attack of opportunity on the smaller creature. Once engaged all attacks on the smaller creature are considered rear attacks. But he can only be hit by small weapons without danger of damaging the large creature he is attached to.