Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-14-2020, 09:27 PM   #1
mr beer

Default Sorcery vs. Magery in DF setting? Advice please.

Hi,

I'm planning a Dungeon Fantasy type campaign, the idea is to start the characters off ~100 CP and rapidly advance to 250 CP, then continue to advance but less rapidly thereafter. So I guess they will spending a lot of game time at the ~250 CP to 400 CP level.

I'm thinking of having both Sorcery and classic Magic in the game. What are your experiences with Sorcery vs. Magic? More powerful, less powerful? What about at different point levels? I don't really care about the 100 -> 200 CP bands because the characters will rapidly advance beyond that, more what I may run into at 250 CP -> 400 CP+.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:49 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Sorcery vs. Magery in DF setting? Advice please.

It depends on the mix. Sorcery can be better at raw damage and area spells but Magic is more versatile, especially at lower point levels and has a few absolute defense spells such as Force Dome and Missile Shield.
Overall I think they balance well enough at the 250 to 300 point level. Magic better at lower levels but less certain which is better at higher levels. Depends on the build and goal really.
REFPLace GURPS Landing Page
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:45 PM   #3
DAT

If you are going to start lower points, make sure you check out GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 15: Henchmen.

Don’t be afraid to use several Magic Systems (basic, sorcery, elemental, demon summoning, necromancy, shaman, runic, bard-song, etc) plus Psionics. Tying the different systems to different ethnic and racial groups just adds to the fantastic wonder factor. Just start off with one or two generally know, and expand as you go. If you get anything wrong (i.e., something is too powerful), throw in a massive world wide “Magic Shattering”, that changes the laws of Magic and stops what you had problems with.
DAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 04:41 PM   #4
mr beer

Thanks for the feedback.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:49 PM   #5
Sorenant

I find Sorcery tends to result in more varied character types than Magery, as the latter incentivizes IQ+Magery=17 and has a list of must-have spells (eg Great Haster, Missile Shield or Return Missile, Recover Energy) that makes every mage look like the other. Of course that's a pretty munchkiny behavior, but it happens. Sorcery has no easy optimum approach, so resulting characters are more flavorful.
Sorcery also makes it easier to give some magical abilities to non-mages, as it doesn't depend on IQ, and Imbuements works much better within Sorcery framework than on its own.
Sorenant is offline   Reply With Quote