Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2020, 08:18 PM   #11
Christopher R. Rice
 
Christopher R. Rice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Portsmouth, VA, USA
Default Re: Common Magic for a TL3 Wuxia Fantasy Campaign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
There's always ceramics. I work for a manufacturer of (among other items) ceramics (e.g., some darn fine ceramic kitchen knives).
How fragile/breakable is it though?
__________________
My Twitter
My w23 Stuff
My Blog

Latest GURPS Book: Monster Hunters Power Ups 1
Latest TFT Book: Crown of Eternity

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 08:56 PM   #12
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vancouver, WA (Portland Metro)
Default Re: Common Magic for a TL3 Wuxia Fantasy Campaign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
How fragile/breakable is it though?
Honestly don't know. I'm in accounting. :-)

It's for high temp and as strong as steel, from what I remember.
__________________
I'm a collector, not a gamer. =)
Pragmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:47 PM   #13
Refplace
 
Refplace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Yukon, OK
Default Re: Common Magic for a TL3 Wuxia Fantasy Campaign

Ceramic has great ability for sharpness so good for cutting but vulnerable to shattering from impact. But with magic? avoiding that drawback or just making it easier to repair would make for widespread usage and raw material cheaper than iron.
__________________
Looking for group in my area
My GURPS official contributions Buying them lets us know you want more!
My GURPS fan contribution and blog:
REFPLace GURPS Landing Page
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 11:41 PM   #14
AlexanderHowl
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Default Re: Common Magic for a TL3 Wuxia Fantasy Campaign

Another thing to consider is the spiritual aspects of elements, especially if using the Chinese Elements. Earth would be associated with spirits that call the material world home. Fire would be associated with the Hells and the punishment of the vicious. Metal would be associated with the Underworld and the afterlife for balanced souls. Water would be associated with the Heavens and the reward of the virtuous. Wood would be associated with the Spirit World and the capricious spirits of nature.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 01:00 AM   #15
johndallman
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cambridge, UK
Default Re: Common Magic for a TL3 Wuxia Fantasy Campaign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
I figure good metal is much more common simply because mages can filter out all the impurities. But what would you peg that as if it were technology? TL5ish?
I think the primary impact is on prices for equipment, rather than its capabilities.
Quote:
I wrote this into my setting bible. Thoughts?
Presumably this is meant to be the source of cinematically good equipment? You might want to break up the improvements into more levels or options, to avoid reaching "You have as good gear as exists" too early in character development?
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 04:49 AM   #16
Anders
 
Anders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Default Re: Common Magic for a TL3 Wuxia Fantasy Campaign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
That's not a bad idea. "Super" Porcelain might be highly useful for things other than decoration.
Porcelain swords would make for a very distinct feel. Isn't there magical glass in DF? You could steal the stats from there.

Edit: Maybe make the brittleness depend on mana. In no or low-mana areas, they are fragile, with +2 to breakage. In normal- to high-mana, they perform as steel. And in very-high mana areas, they are better than steel, with -1 to breakage.
__________________
“Bad times, hard times, this is what people keep saying; but let us live well, and times shall be good. We are the times: Such as we are, such are the times.” - St. Augustine of Hippo

Last edited by Anders; 05-18-2020 at 02:50 PM.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 05:11 AM   #17
Christopher R. Rice
 
Christopher R. Rice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Portsmouth, VA, USA
Default Re: Common Magic for a TL3 Wuxia Fantasy Campaign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Ceramic has great ability for sharpness so good for cutting but vulnerable to shattering from impact. But with magic? avoiding that drawback or just making it easier to repair would make for widespread usage and raw material cheaper than iron.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Porcelain swords would make for a very distinct feel. Isn't there magical glass in DF? You could steal the stats from there.
Porcelain weapons would be pretty neat. Hmmm. I'll have to consider how to implement it. The Tempered Glass from DF would likely be a good fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Edit: Maybe make the brittleness depend on mana. In no or low-mana areas, they are fragile, with +2 to breakage. In normal- to high-mana, they perform as steel. And in very-high mana areas, they are better than steel, with -1 to breakage.
I'm not using mana at all, instead, too much of an element in an area cancels out the use of other elements.


Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
I think the primary impact is on prices for equipment, rather than its capabilities.
Could you give me some specifics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Presumably this is meant to be the source of cinematically good equipment? You might want to break up the improvements into more levels or options, to avoid reaching "You have as good gear as exists" too early in character development?
Good point.
__________________
My Twitter
My w23 Stuff
My Blog

Latest GURPS Book: Monster Hunters Power Ups 1
Latest TFT Book: Crown of Eternity

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 05:53 AM   #18
WingedKagouti
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Default Re: Common Magic for a TL3 Wuxia Fantasy Campaign

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
I think the primary impact is on prices for equipment, rather than its capabilities.
The effect on prices would be impacted by a) how easy & fast it is to make the un-enchanted items and b) how much mages can get away with charging for enchanting the items.

What they can charge is generally up to the rarity of their ability/abilities and how much effort it takes to use.

It would be plausible for one setup to make equivalent items cheaper than listed, it would also be plausible a different setup to make equivalent items to be available a couple of TL earlier.
WingedKagouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 11:24 AM   #19
johndallman
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cambridge, UK
Default Re: Common Magic for a TL3 Wuxia Fantasy Campaign

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
I think the primary impact is on prices for equipment, rather than its capabilities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
Could you give me some specifics?
Well, on a normal TL path, blades are Fine at no extra cost from TL7 onwards. In places where metal magicians are well-established, prices won't be quite that good, because it's still craft-work rather than industrial production, but Fine blades might be only +1CF rather than +3CF. Then add the markup for any enchanted properties.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 04:45 AM   #20
Christopher R. Rice
 
Christopher R. Rice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Portsmouth, VA, USA
Default Re: Common Magic for a TL3 Wuxia Fantasy Campaign

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
The effect on prices would be impacted by a) how easy & fast it is to make the un-enchanted items and b) how much mages can get away with charging for enchanting the items.

What they can charge is generally up to the rarity of their ability/abilities and how much effort it takes to use.

It would be plausible for one setup to make equivalent items cheaper than listed, it would also be plausible a different setup to make equivalent items to be available a couple of TL earlier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Well, on a normal TL path, blades are Fine at no extra cost from TL7 onwards. In places where metal magicians are well-established, prices won't be quite that good, because it's still craft-work rather than industrial production, but Fine blades might be only +1CF rather than +3CF. Then add the markup for any enchanted properties.
I really like this for a lot of reasons. Number is it's *easy* - easy to implement, easy to understand.
__________________
My Twitter
My w23 Stuff
My Blog

Latest GURPS Book: Monster Hunters Power Ups 1
Latest TFT Book: Crown of Eternity

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sorcery, wuxia

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.