Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-09-2020, 09:44 AM   #1
Calvin

Default Statistical probabilities involved in Luck and Active Luck?

It's been several years since I last did a university-level statistics course, so I've been having a little trouble figuring out how to approach this problem, but I'm trying to work out how the Luck advantage impacts the statistical probability of a successful roll.

The way I see it, there are two related but different problem sets. The answer to which would be some sort of curve plotted on the 3-18 scale.

1. How does Active Luck, as in, luck that must be activated prior to the roll you want to use Luck on, impact the curve?

2. How does non-Active luck impact the curve? So of the three rolls you get, one has already failed by the time you decide to use luck. But there's the corollary that you aren't going to use non-active luck unless you need it.

I tried to mess around with anydice.com to find the solution, but while it can do 4d6 drop lowest, it's not really set up for this type of problem.

I don't even necessarily need an answer, though I'm not going to complain if handed one, what I'm really looking for is what principle I need to apply to find my answer.
Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 10:03 AM   #2
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Statistical probabilities involved in Luck and Active Luck?

In principle, the probabilities are the same when Luck is an advantage, it is the application that varies. Luck is usually triggered in the case of a critical failure on the part of the luck user or a critical success on the part of the luck user's opponent. Active Luck is used when the user really needs to succeed or when the user really needs their opponent to fail.

The changes occur when Luck is an abilitity. Active Luck may be modified with Talent (and, since it is not an attack, Reliable), meaning that a superhuman with Probability Control 4 [20] could take an ability that was Ridiculous Luck (Active, -40%; Reliable, +10, +50; Super, -10%) [60]. Once every 15 minutes of play, they may take two extra rolls on an action and give a bonus of +14. In that case though, I would also take an ability that was Ridiculous Luck (Aspected, Combat, -20%; Defensive, -20%; Super, -10%) [30] to prevent unexpected critical hits.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 10:12 AM   #3
Anders

Oh, I would not allow Reliable on Luck. Is that canon?
Old 06-09-2020, 10:15 AM   #4
Calvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
In principle, the probabilities are the same when Luck is an advantage, it is the application that varies. Luck is usually triggered in the case of a critical failure on the part of the luck user or a critical success on the part of the luck user's opponent. Active Luck is used when the user really needs to succeed or when the user really needs their opponent to fail.

The changes occur when Luck is an abilitity. Active Luck may be modified with Talent (and, since it is not an attack, Reliable), meaning that a superhuman with Probability Control 4 [20] could take an ability that was Ridiculous Luck (Active, -40%; Reliable, +10, +50; Super, -10%) [60]. Once every 15 minutes of play, they may take two extra rolls on an action and give a bonus of +14. In that case though, I would also take an ability that was Ridiculous Luck (Aspected, Combat, -20%; Defensive, -20%; Super, -10%) [30] to prevent unexpected critical hits.
I'm not certain I understand what you mean here, particularly the first paragraph as it makes assumptions about how players use Luck. The assumptions aren't wrong, they're just not always right. I'm also not certain that Active Luck can be modified by a talent like that.

What I'm talking about is specifically a bell curve like this: https://anydice.com/program/1 but with the application of pre-roll luck (Three die sets) and post-roll luck (Two die sets, maybe some other fiddling since it's known that you're only using it against guaranteed failures.)
Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 10:28 AM   #5
thrash

Presuming that you are rolling to beat a set target value:
  1. Determine the probability of success for a single roll (e.g., from B171).
  2. Subtract that value (expressed on the range 0 to 1, rather than as a percent) from 1, to get the probability of failure on any single roll.
  3. Multiply the probabilities of failure for each roll together, to get the probability of failure on all rolls. (For two identical rolls, this means to square the probability of failure; for three, cube it.)
  4. Subtract the result from 1 to get the combined probability that at least one of the rolls will be successful.

Does that help?
thrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 10:28 AM   #6
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Oh, I would not allow Reliable on Luck. Is that canon?
Yes, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reliable, Powers page 109
This works exactly like Talent, and can’t affect anything that Talent wouldn’t affect. It’s cumulative with Talent, where applicable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck, Powers page 59
Talent gives a bonus to any die roll influence by Luck – but only if that use of Luck is declared in advance.
Given that your first roll might be really good and you've just wasted your Luck and have to wait for it to recharge, this doesn't seem to unbalanced.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 10:31 AM   #7
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Active Luck may be modified with Talent (and, since it is not an attack, Reliable),
I don't think you need to take the active limitation to add Talent/Reliable, but you only get the benefit if you declare in advance. Active just means you have no choice about declaring in advance.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 10:37 AM   #8
Celjabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrash View Post
Presuming that you are rolling to beat a set target value:
  1. Determine the probability of success for a single roll (e.g., from B171).
  2. Subtract that value (expressed on the range 0 to 1, rather than as a percent) from 1, to get the probability of failure on any single roll.
  3. Multiply the probabilities of failure for each roll together, to get the probability of failure on all rolls. (For two identical rolls, this means to square the probability of failure; for three, cube it.)
  4. Subtract the result from 1 to get the combined probability that at least one of the rolls will be successful.

Does that help?
And here are the probabilities, unless I made a mistake :

Code:
Target 	1 roll best of 2	best of 3
3	0,46%	0,92%	1,38%
4	1,85%	3,67%	5,45%
5	4,63%	9,04%	13,26%
6	9,26%	17,66%	25,29%
7	16,20%	29,78%	41,16%
8	25,93%	45,13%	59,36%
9	37,50%	60,94%	75,59%
10	50,00%	75,00%	87,50%
11	62,50%	85,94%	94,73%
12	74,07%	93,28%	98,26%
13	83,80%	97,37%	99,57%
14	90,74%	99,14%	99,92%
15	95,37%	99,79%	99,99%
16	98,15%	99,97%	100,00%
17	98,15%	99,97%	100,00%
18	98,15%	99,97%	100,00%

Last edited by Celjabba; 06-09-2020 at 10:56 AM.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 10:58 AM   #9
Anthony

As far as passive luck goes, it has the same probabilities as active luck, except that it isn't consumed if you succeed at the first roll (this is more complicated in situations where you don't know what a success is). That makes it twice as good as active luck if your modified skill is 10, and 54 times as good if your modified skill is 16.
Old 06-09-2020, 11:35 AM   #10
martinl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
2. How does non-Active luck impact the curve? So of the three rolls you get, one has already failed by the time you decide to use luck. But there's the corollary that you aren't going to use non-active luck unless you need it.
I worked this out in this thread.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote