Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 12-09-2017, 11:05 AM   #1
Kesendeja

Default Never coded before, Help

As the title says, I've never coded before, but I a racial template for my upcoming game. Is there a tutorial for using the template maker somewhere, my first attempts with it have proven disastrous.

I think the problem is that I have modifiers to some of the traits, but I can't seem to get them to show up, so its costing too much.
Kesendeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 11:24 AM   #2
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: Never coded before, Help

The best way to create racial templates is to create a new character, add just the race stuff to it, and then use Save As..., and in the Save File As dialog pick "Template within Data File" in the bottom drop-down list.

That will call up a dialog that allows you to set some other options, and then will save the character to a GDF file in racial template format. Load that GDF, and your race should be ready to rock.

(If you save the character GDF to the /characters/ folder, you may also want to move it to the /data files/ folder to make it easier to find and remember.)
Old 12-09-2017, 04:37 PM   #3
Kesendeja

I just tried that, but it wouldn't let me add the selections. The template is set up to have 60 pts spent between several attributes, and another 12 between enhanced senses.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:53 PM   #4
Armin
GCA Prime

Ah, yeah, I'm sorry about that. That's not a standard racial template, which is usually just a fixed set of traits. So, no, Save As won't work for you here.

Unfortunately, if you also want to require specific modifiers be applied to certain traits, then the Template Builder won't work for you either. It doesn't support pre-selected modifiers on the traits in that fashion.

If you want specific modifiers applied to specific traits available in a selection dialog, then congrats, you've picked one of the hardest possible things to require support for, and there's simply no easy way to do it without hand-coding it in a data file.

Your statement about what the template requires seems relatively straight-forward, so it's likely the required modifiers that are the only hangup. If the modifiers are fixed, you might be able to save versions of the modified traits to a data file with a suitable name, and include those in your race template Select boxes, instead of the base versions that need the modifiers added. (If the traits with the modifiers are basically immutable for the template, you might also simply create brand new traits at the right costs with the right effects, and avoid modifiers entirely.)

Or, if you want to post your race template here, I'll see if I can find some time to take a whack at it for you next week.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:17 AM   #5
Kesendeja

I'll post the template later today.

Vampire Virus
60 pts in ST, DX, HT, HP, Per, FP
12 Pts in Acute Hearing, Acute Taste and Smell, Acute Vision
1 pt. Bite Attack
10 Pts. Breath Holding 5
6 pts, Claws (Sharp Claws) (Switchable)
15 pts Combat Reflexes
25 pts Dark Vision
25 pts Extra Attack
10 pts High Pain Threshold
13 pts Regeneration (Slow 1HP/12 hr) (Heals Radiation) (Requires Blood)
36 pts Regrowth (Requires Blood)
15 pts Unaging
-20 pts Dependency (Blood) (Very Common) (Weekly; Illegal)
-7 pts Weakness (Sunlight) 1d per 30 minutes) (Fatigue Only; Very Common)
-1 pts Distinctive Feature

Last edited by Kesendeja; 12-10-2017 at 01:24 AM.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:14 PM   #6
Armin
GCA Prime

Good morning.

I have built a template for you. I wasn't sure of how much 'Requires Blood' was as a limitation, but 10% seemed to get me numbers that match what you posted. I also wasn't sure what a 1pt 'Bite Attack' was, so I made it basically a perk.

Since Breath Holding appeared to be the only thing not in Basic Set, I included that using creates() to create it from scratch. If you're sure to be loading Supers, you can make it an adds() instead.

Here's a link to my OneDrive, where you can download it as a GDF file.

Here's the template alone, for reference in case you want to discuss it:

Code:
Vampire Virus, displaycost(200), cost(0),_
	description(Virus made you a vamp),_
	noresync(yes),_
	owns(yes),_
	locks(yes),_
	creates(_
			"AD:Bite Attack, 1",
			"AD:Breath Holding, 2/4, page(S37), mods(Sups Enhancements, Sups Limitations)"=5_
			),_
	adds(_
		{AD:Claws (Sharp Claws)} _
			with "Switchable, +10%, group(Invisibility)",
		AD:Combat Reflexes,
		AD:Dark Vision,
		AD:Extra Attack,
		AD:High Pain Threshold,
		AD:Regeneration _
			with "Heals Radiation, +40%, group(Regeneration), page(B80)" _
			and "Requires Blood, -10%",
		AD:Regrowth _
			with "Requires Blood, -10%",
		AD:Unaging,
		{DI:Dependency (Blood)} _
			with "Frequency Needed: Weekly, *2, shortname(Weekly), group(Dependency), page(B130)" _
			and "Illegal, -5, group(Dependency), page(B130)",
		{DI:Weakness (Sunlight)} _
			with "Rarity: Very Common, *3, shortname(Very Common), group(Weakness), page(B161)" _
			and "Fatigue Only, -50%, group(Weakness), page(B161)",
		QU:Distinctive Feature _
	),_
	select1(_
		text(Please select 60 points from the following attribute improvements.),_
		pointswanted(60),_
		itemswanted(atleast 1),_
		list(_
			AD:Extra ST #codes(upto 6, downto 1),
			AD:Extra DX #codes(upto 3, downto 1),
			AD:Extra HT #codes(upto 3, downto 1),_
			AD:Extra Perception #codes(upto 12, downto 1),_
			AD:Extra Hit Points #codes(upto 30, downto 1),_
			AD:Extra Fatigue Points #codes(upto 20, downto 1)_
		)_
	),_
	select2(_
		text(Please select 12 points from the following sense improvements.),_
		pointswanted(12),_
		itemswanted(atleast 1),_
		list(_
			AD:Acute Hearing #codes(upto 6, downto 1),
			AD:Acute Taste and Smell #codes(upto 6, downto 1),
			AD:Acute Vision #codes(upto 6, downto 1)_
		)_
	)
Normally these templates include hides(yes) up there with the owns() and locks(), but since it doesn't really play well with SelectX(), I left it off. If you want to let the user modify or adjust the traits, you can remove the locks(yes) line, too.

Note that this template will ask the user to specify the Distinctive Feature, since you didn't include it. So, you'll get that request, plus the two selection dialogs, to finish the racial template when you pick it in GCA.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:43 PM   #7
Armin
GCA Prime

A couple things I noticed, just now:

1) I accidentally put Bite Attack as an advantage, rather than the perk I'd intended. Change the AD: to PE: to have it listed in the Perks listing.

2) If you want the template to basically function as if the user had added all the traits themselves, you can remove the owns(yes) and locks(yes) lines, and then everything will basically be added as independent traits, with no more relationship to the template.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:43 PM   #8
Kesendeja

Bless you.

Tags
race, templates