Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 07-30-2011, 05:11 PM   #831
demonsbane

Default Re: Art for games

I just used a very old pencil drawing depicting a warrior vs. orc combat scene for a quick color test.

And here is a sketch for an elven warrioress of the cold tundra.

May be needed to zoom in a bit.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:15 PM   #832
Lonewulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsbane View Post
And here is a sketch for an elven warrioress of the cold tundra.
Just to critique, this is a real clash of visuals; the background being photo-realistic and the drawing being very much not. It's more dis-jarring than one or the other...

The texture used for the outfit do seem odd on the torso and cloak, though, but are quite unique! Other than that, it looks fine.

While the orc vs. human picture had a less "interesting" background (not that detailed), it doesn't detract from the artwork and helps set a theme without being dis-jarring.
She'll bring in a murderous prize
~Blind Guardian

My Writing.com

Last edited by Lonewulf; 07-30-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Lonewulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:29 PM   #833
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewulf View Post
Just to critique, this is a real clash of visuals
Sure, I guess that you are right on that. It's a sketch and I just used a near random photograph as background for enliven it.

Quote:
The texture used for the outfit do seem odd on the torso and cloak, though, but are quite unique!
That is the result of a recent and a bit odd digital painting technique new to me. The blurriness is unintended: I had a full size and sharper version of this file, without background, but I'd need to dig for it.

Quote:
While the orc vs. human picture had a less "interesting" background (not that detailed), it doesn't detract from the artwork and helps set a theme without being dis-jarring.
Yes, orc vs. human was hand drawn many years ago as a single piece.

Thank you for your interest and comments.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+

Last edited by demonsbane; 07-30-2011 at 05:35 PM. Reason: typo
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:08 PM   #834
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
Well, if this wasn't a family fora, she'd probably only be wearing the vest and skirt.
Well, a sports bra does serve a purpose other than modesty, and she doesn't look flat enough to not need any support.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:35 PM   #835
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Something important to remember about Jessi is that she's going through a self-destructive phase. There are a lot of things that a rational person would do, but she would not. And vice versa.

An ideal Parkour woman would look something like Heidi (rough render, still in engine). (Also proof that I can do girls who have a healty body style, and still make them very attractive.)

Jessi is a teen who lost her family to "The Rapture*" (in one way or another), and her sister, who is now gone, was the only thing keeping her from ending up a statistic. Part of the point of the character is that she has to grow up. She needs to realize that Jasmine isn't going to save her any more, and, if anything, Jasmine needs to be saved by her.

*- Game backstory event; 777,777 people (mostly in the Americas) vanish from the Earth. Every one of them is witnessed vanishing. Another 7,000,000 fall into a coma. The people who vanished are called "The Taken," the people in comas are called "Those Not Taken" and the others are called the "Left Behind." MonkeyFist is playing up the religious aspect, even though it's not a religious game.

ETA: Heidi's been updated a couple of times, as the render has gotten further along.

Last edited by Mark Skarr; 07-30-2011 at 11:02 PM.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:48 PM   #836
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Again, I apologize for double-posting (I hate doing it), but my internets didn't show Kromm's post before I made mine. When I went back through the last few posts, I found his and felt like a moron.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Whenever I do supers, these are the comic books people seem to like. Not all are supers, and not many have the Spandex. Mostly, I get skulkers in camo, leather, and black, with clompy boots, armor vests, and balaclavas. This is regardless of powers or role. Even the completely bulletproof, scrape-proof, elements-proof flying hero will wear armor and rugged clothing. I've never seen a cape, not once!
We have two characters wearing armor, as their own primary defenses are pretty light (IT:DR is a must for the campaign; everybody has it at, at least, /3). Those who don't wear armor either have "Can't Wear Armor" or are so tough that armor would slow them down more than help them resist damage. On the other hand, I always suggest making your costume out of a nice piece of body armor.

I also take the age of the character into account. We have a lot of young characters (free reign to make stupid mistakes), and my nephew and his girlfriends are usually wandering about. My nephew is a good looking kid, so he has some very attractive girls that hang around with him. I've yet to see any of them wear jeans, or even as much fabric as in one of my XL t-shirts. They show off a lot of skin.

Give attractive kids superpower, they're going to go into combat wearing as little as they can get away with. Or less. Until they learn better. Because you can't tell them it'll happen, they have to learn it the hard way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
My current group consists of three active anime-haters, three neutrals who don't know much about it, and zero fans. Whereas the whole gang likes live-action horror and action movies. That's probably why I end up with so many unremarkable types who wear street clothes and have average looks and/or builds. If there's a slightly stylized recurring look, it's crew cuts and paramilitary garb.
I get that, but I'm much more into a striking appearance. For the most part, many of my players go with a very low-key appearance, only a handful of us go for anything specific.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:03 AM   #837
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
And I give you a very, very rough version of Sturdy Woman!
(And she's not turned up to maximum.)
Now that's what I'm talking about (other than the facial expression - How about something that says, "Yeah, I work out a little," rather than, "I. Smell. Excrement" ....?)
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:21 AM   #838
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
An ideal Parkour woman would look something like Heidi
Close - I'd make her a little bigger around the shoulders and thighs, but the midsection looks great.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:31 AM   #839
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Updated again
  • Added gloves
  • moved right arm a bit
I'm not sure I like that texture on the gloves. It makes the back look tough, but it also makes it look rigid. As I'm not a climber, are good wrist supports important?
Not to beat up on the twigged horse, but it's not just the legs which are too much like toothpicks, with forearms like that and no biceps or shoulders that girl wouldn't be able to vault anything.

Basically, whenever you have an image where the knee/elbow joint is the widest part of the limb you're depicting someone in the 90 lbs and under wimp category.

(not to detract from the fact that your stuff is getting better and better)
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:41 AM   #840
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
(not to detract from the fact that your stuff is getting better and better)
Yeah, I should clarify that this is all way, way better than I could do, and that I'm just making comments as the intended audience (ie: red-blooded heterosexual men and/or red-blooded homosexual women with an eye to cinematic semi-realism) here.

Tags
art