Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 09-01-2016, 06:59 AM   #21
AurochDigital

Default Re: Ogre Computer Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianargent View Post
I'm OK with the stacking being represented by cycling models at the distant zoom levels and "expanding" as the camera zooms in. This was clearly a tech demo of the graphics engine, and while my inner grognard wants the counters, you need the 3D to have wide appeal. Maybe someone can do a "classic counters" model set as a mod.

Which reminds me. For the love of FNORD, don't go out of your way to make modding hard. In fact, try and make choices that make modding easy.
Hey there, thanks for the feedback!

The unit cycling is one potential solution to displaying stacked units on a hex, which is why we did a video to explore it. We're still at the early stages of the design and this area is a key part of the UI we want to get right :)
AurochDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:03 AM   #22
AurochDigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by offsides View Post
Per the announcement in Update #221, the game will be published on Steam. What Operating Systems are going to be supported? This is a MAJOR concern of mine, because while Steam does have a Linux client, I'm not sure how many games are really supported on it. Not to mention my personal dislike of DRM, but I'll get over it for this game :)

Also, is there any chance of a mobile version of the game? Phones would probably be too small, but tablets would be nice...
Hello there! We're the developers. So the current agreed plan is to PC/Steam to start with. However we're using Unity 3D as the development environment so it can be ported to other platforms/operating systems (which we're done before for other titles!) Thanks.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:07 AM   #23
AurochDigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatDeath View Post
I agree completely.

I have noticed, of late, that some new PC games are seeing simultaneous releases on GOG.com as well as Steam. And GOG.com is much better about allowing you to download and backup a standalone installer and not requiring the software to phone home before use.

I wonder if that is an option?
The developers here :) We've got no objections to GOG, it's a great store for games and if things align for that, seems like could be a option going forward (assuming SJGames agree of course!) once the initial release is sorted. However some of the systems we're using on Steam would not necessarily be available on GOG, so that would need to to examine it. Thanks.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:07 AM   #24
AurochDigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced Buckeye View Post
Just saw the one minute video on the pre alpha test of the Ogre computer game. Some observations:

1) Looks like they are going with 3D and not 2D for the game. Movement was smooth but many comments from people about the game allowing stacking in the teaser...almost like it was more GEV or ODE than the original Ogre. Myself I think I'd rather see the Classic Counters from the ODE in 2D for this game and step it up to 3D for an ODE upgrade or second game.

2)The zoom in feature looked very nice when it broke up the stacked units but maybe in the Zoom out the hex needs some type of marker; someone suggested a number over the hex signifying the number of units in the hex.

3) Getting a map editor in 3D might be a big wish compared to just right clicking on a hex ion 2D, selecting editor and being presented with a selection to click and place.

Looking forward this moving forward....
Thanks for feedback :)
Old 09-01-2016, 07:18 AM   #25
wolf90

It is wonderful to see you on the forums!

I'm sure you will find everyone here (rabidly?!) enthusiastic about the upcoming game. I appreciate your assistance in keeping everyone informed.

For everyone else, Auroch is following our conversations, and the feedback here is helpful to them. Please keep conversations in this thread focused on the game. Additionally, there may be times that they (and/or I) cannot answer questions for a variety of reasons. I apologize in advance should that happen. And "when will it be released?" is a non-starter; we will announce release dates when we are sure of them. Our goal is to provide the best possible product for everyone! I trust everyone will understand.

Again, welcome Auroch to the forums!

Drew
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:19 AM   #26
AurochDigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
I understand why, but I feel like it would be visually distracting to see cycling pictures on the map. I would like to see that be configurable (speed of cycle, etc), or use a static reference that a stack exists that I can inspect manually.

/me has a visual of making a counter set that just looks like thick old-school counters backed on foam board.
Thanks for feedback btw :)
Old 09-01-2016, 08:25 AM   #27
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post
I'm sure you will find everyone here (rabidly?!) enthusiastic about the upcoming game. I appreciate your assistance in keeping everyone informed.
Rabidly is probably an accurate adjective. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AurochDigital View Post
Thanks for feedback btw :)
Welcome, and thanks for the early look. If you are glad to hear the feedback, I can guarantee you will get a lot of it. Best of luck pleasing everyone, you are going to need it; but you are definitely off on the right foot. :-)
Old 09-01-2016, 08:30 AM   #28
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AurochDigital View Post
Hey there, thanks for the feedback!

The unit cycling is one potential solution to displaying stacked units on a hex, which is why we did a video to explore it. We're still at the early stages of the design and this area is a key part of the UI we want to get right :)
A related element to stacking is Infantry riding on other units. It's going to be an important distinction to make when displaying information (i.e., visibly obvious the INF is on the unit, not next to it).
Old 09-01-2016, 11:38 AM   #29
dwalend

Quote:
A related element to stacking is Infantry riding on other units. It's going to be an important distinction to make when displaying information (i.e., visibly obvious the INF is on the unit, not next to it).
GP is right. There are lots of niggly visual bits in Ogre that matter a lot that'll impact early design. "Is that GEV on the bridge or under it?" Finding those bits and drilling on them early will pay off.

Any chance you can make the ogres fit in the hexes? it matters a lot when introducing new players to the table top game. The oversized models confuse them. (At least you won't have the problem with lost counters in the hex behind the ogre. That's a bit of a sweet spot for infantry - the ogre has to decide between staying near enough to engage them, or rolling forward and letting them needle it without answering.)

(I found the cycling colors distracting and not rich enough in information. I'd have to stare at it a while to figure out what's there. Something at a glance would be much better. Tufte might provide some inspiration.)
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:29 PM   #30
AurochDigital

Quote:
Good point, yes, it will need a visual indication!