Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2019, 10:16 PM   #11
Flyndaran
Untagged
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Forest Grove, Beaverton, Oregon
Default Re: [DF] PC Races Preferred Habitat

That makes them sound like charismatic versions of the Goblins from that particular Gurps supplement.
__________________
Beware, poor communication skills. No offense intended. If offended, it just means that I failed my writing skill check.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 12:31 AM   #12
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: [DF] PC Races Preferred Habitat

Cat-Folk: Egypt, surrounding deserts
Coleopteran (Beetles): Australia (for the eusocial ambrosia beetle)
Corpse-Eaters: Leeching on other civilizations
Dark One (Elder Things): New England
Dwarves: Alps, Caucasus, Carpathians, Urals
Elves: Brazil should fit all varieties
Faerie: Near Mana (On the Med?)
Gargoyle: ?
Gnome: Rome (built on seven hills), Afghanistan, Appalachia
Goblin Kin: Central Asia, Mongolia
Halfling: England, centered on Oxford
Half-Spirits: As parent species.
Humans: Along major rivers (Euphrates, Yangtze, etc.)
Minotaur: India
Ogre: ?
Reptilians: South East Asia
Trolls: Under Bridges, Sewers
Wildman: Ethiopia (Cradle of mankind), alternatively Pacific Northwest (Bigfoot)

Last edited by TGLS; 05-03-2019 at 10:42 AM.
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 06:16 AM   #13
Gumby Bush
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: CT
Default Re: [DF] PC Races Preferred Habitat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Dark One (Elder Things): Maine
And the rest of New England... Lovecraft was from RI, Nathaniel Hawthorn, if you feel like counting him, was from MA. It starts to look like maybe there is something disturbed about this region.
__________________
Formerly known as fighting_gumby.
Gumby Bush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:22 AM   #14
tbone
 
tbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: [DF] PC Races Preferred Habitat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby Bush View Post
And the rest of New England... Lovecraft was from RI, Nathaniel Hawthorn, if you feel like counting him, was from MA. It starts to look like maybe there is something disturbed about this region.
Stephen King heartily agrees.
__________________
T. Bone
GURPS stuff and more at the Games Diner:
http://www.gamesdiner.com
Twitter: @Gamesdiner
(Latest goods on the site: Site status: Destruction and rebirth!. Probably the last post on the existing site before its pending recreation atop more modern bones. Stay tuned for the relaunch.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 11:37 AM   #15
Greg 1
 
Greg 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Default Re: [DF] PC Races Preferred Habitat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Cat-Folk: Egypt, surrounding deserts
Coleopteran (Beetles): Australia (for the eusocial ambrosia beetle)
Corpse-Eaters: Leeching on other civilizations
Dark One (Elder Things): New England
Dwarves: Alps, Caucasus, Carpathians, Urals
Elves: Brazil should fit all varieties
Faerie: Near Mana (On the Med?)
Gargoyle: ?
Gnome: Rome (built on seven hills), Afghanistan, Appalachia
Goblin Kin: Central Asia, Mongolia
Halfling: England, centered on Oxford
Half-Spirits: As parent species.
Humans: Along major rivers (Euphrates, Yangtze, etc.)
Minotaur: India
Ogre: ?
Reptilians: South East Asia
Trolls: Under Bridges, Sewers
Wildman: Ethiopia (Cradle of mankind), alternatively Pacific Northwest (Bigfoot)
Awesome list! But keep in mind that only geography is relevant, not culture. Dark Ones don't care about Lovecraft.
Greg 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 12:41 PM   #16
lwcamp
 
lwcamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: The plutonium rich regions of Washington State
Default Re: [DF] PC Races Preferred Habitat

I've often thought of orcs occupying a similar role as horse nomads in real-life history - the equivalents of Mongols, Comanche, Huns, and the like. Roaming bands of "barbarians" that terrorize surrounding "civilized" communities. So they could live in the central Asian steppe and the North American great plains. The Sahel and savanna areas of Africa might also support such a culture, or the Pampas of South America.

Luke
lwcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 02:16 PM   #17
Phantasm
 
Phantasm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On the road again...
Default Re: [DF] PC Races Preferred Habitat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwcamp View Post
I've often thought of orcs occupying a similar role as horse nomads in real-life history - the equivalents of Mongols, Comanche, Huns, and the like. Roaming bands of "barbarians" that terrorize surrounding "civilized" communities. So they could live in the central Asian steppe and the North American great plains. The Sahel and savanna areas of Africa might also support such a culture, or the Pampas of South America.

Luke
As Central Asia, particularly Mongolia, is also a "harsh and unforgiving" region, I can support this.

Basically, any area the typical "fantasy Barbarian" can come from is well suited for orcs. I just happen to like me some Viking Orcs. :)
__________________
"Life ... is an Oreo cookie." - J'onn J-onzz, 1991

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:59 PM   #18
dcarson
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Default Re: [DF] PC Races Preferred Habitat

Tibet/Nepal/Bhutan would be a good place for Wildmen. Yeti fit with Bigfoot.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dungeon fantasy

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.