Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-05-2017, 05:00 PM   #1
Yorunkun

Default Where did 3e Spirits content go in 4e?

Could you please point me to 4e products that contain or expand on the content of the 3e Spirits sourcebook?

I've just begun worldbuilding for a new fantasy campaign and want to get the basics of the supernatural nailed down. I'm looking at having an otherworld much like the astral plane from the Psionics books, inhabited by spirits of different kinds that work much like those outlined in Spirits, in that they require energy to survive and interact with our world. I want to include everything from haunts and ghosts, ancestor and nature spirits to godlike beings that can become more or less powerful over time, with the most powerful spiritual beings able to bestow magical spells to priests in return for rituals and worship.

I also like the idea of humans made up of body, mind (information content), and soul (consciousness, emotion, qualia) and magic interacting with these respective parts, i.e. for possession, creation of undead, mind reading and the like.

Would be grateful for a list of 4e books and magic system(s) that best support this.
Yorunkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:38 PM   #2
Phantasm

Default Re: Where did 3e Spirits content go in 4e?

For the magic system, I'd definitely look through GURPS Thaumatology to see if anything close is in there. I believe that Spirits, like Voodoo, got rolled into Path/Book Magic, but as I've read neither of those I'm uncertain. (I'd also look at the brilliance that is GURPS Thaumatology: Ritual Path Magic, if only because as I said it's brilliant!)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:30 PM   #3
Dalillama

I've found that RPM is very compatible with Spirits; I have a list of worked conversions somewhere. I don't think that any of the templates have been officially updated, but I had good luck starting with the ghost template in Fantasy and working from there. I think I still have those notes too; I can have a look if you're interested.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:34 PM   #4
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
For the magic system, I'd definitely look through GURPS Thaumatology to see if anything close is in there. I believe that Spirits, like Voodoo, got rolled into Path/Book Magic, but as I've read neither of those I'm uncertain. (I'd also look at the brilliance that is GURPS Thaumatology: Ritual Path Magic, if only because as I said it's brilliant!)
From the Gurps book Voodoo to the somewhat more generic magic form in Spirits to an even more generic form in 4th ed. Thaumatology.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:47 AM   #5
dataweaver

The Spirit Advantage was replaced by a meta-trait in the 4e Basic Set, though it needed (and got) some revision in 4e Fantasy. Everything else is covered by Thaumatology. In particular, 3e's spirit magic (called Ritual Magic at the time) is Thaumatology's Path/Book Magic if you use Effect-Shaping rituals for doing magic and Paths for learning magic.
Old 06-07-2017, 03:16 AM   #6
dataweaver

Yeah; I miss 3e's advantage. But then, I've got a long standing feud with 4e's over-reliance on point accounting; and the Spirit Advantage/Meta-Trait tends to be Exhibit A.

I forget where I put it, but I did some work on increasing the versatility of 3e's version a while back. I'll see if I can dig it up if anyone's interested.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:37 AM   #7
Yorunkun

Just wanted to say thanks for all the replies and kind offers for help. I've found the information I need and then some, and it has made me ponder what spirits actually are and how they relate to magical effects in my campaign. I might come back with a few more questions later.
Yorunkun is offline   Reply With Quote