Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 10-25-2017, 10:17 PM   #11
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Default Re: Share Your Game Master Panic Moments

This is one of the reasons I don’t go to cons anymore. Most of the people who run the cons know me and consider me family. So, if I show up, I’m put to work. Sometimes on games I don’t know a thing about . . ..

Several years ago, when Star Wars Miniatures was a thing, I had purchased the AT-AT (because I wanted a freaking AT-AT!). One of these people asked if I could bring my AT-AT to (specific con) so he could re-create the Attack on Hoth. I said “sure,” knowing that Hand of Bobb would love to stop by the dealer’s room.

The day arrives and we head to the con. I find my friend (who shall remain nameless) and he tells me that one of the other event's runners didn’t show up and he was going to be there, running that, so I’d have to run the SW Miniatures event. I tried to remind him that I didn’t play the game and had never read the rules. He wandered off, and with fifteen minutes before the game I read the rule book.

I apologized to the players, and they were really understanding. And they wound up having a great time as I played fast and loose with the rules and aimed more for a Star Wars feel then an accurate reflection of the rules.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 10:29 AM   #12
Michael Cule

The time I agreed to run someone else's scenario in a CALL OF CTHULU tournament at a small local con.

I read the scenario, thought 'OK, I can do this....' and then about two thirds of the way through the allotted time I hit a bit that Made Absolutely No Sense.

I don't now remember what it was: just something that didn't fit with the rest of the scenario and invalidated everything I'd told the players up to that point.

I'd like to tell you that I improvised magnificently and wove a seamless illusion of competence in the eyes of the players...

But it wouldn't be true. I had to say 'Oh'. And then 'I'm sorry fellas but....' and end the scenario early putting as much blame on the author the piece as I could.

I prefer nowadays to run something I wrote myself. At least I know what the idiot who wrote it meant that way.
Michael Cule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 11:49 PM   #13
Tomastiler

Prey: you awaken aboard Talos I, a space station orbiting the moon in the year 2032,but the space station has been overrun by hostile aliens and you are now being hunted.Everything what you see maybe mask by the monster,it is impossible to distinguish between reality and fiction.
Tomastiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:13 AM   #14
ak_aramis

mine involve leaving my dice, rules, or meeples & blocks at home...
... I've not run a fully FTF game from home in almost 3 years.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:42 PM   #15
Mark Caliber

I'm pretty immersive and serious with my RPG's so when I found myself the GM for a group of players who thought that "Dalorious & Associates" was the pinnacle of the art of RPG, I began to panic.

Nope, I don't do Beer and Pretzels with my RPG's.

I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:25 PM   #16
thorr-kan

I didn't panic as a Game Master, but I did cause the DM to panic.

The Monday Night Gaming Group had been working our way through the Red Hand of Doom. We'd saved Brindol, defeated the Horde, and stormed the Fane of Tiamat. Thanks to some recon, some good prep, and some decent rolls, we crushed the high priest and his lackeys. We had won.

Then the planar veil ripped, and an Aspect of Tiamat stepped through.

"Oh, $#|+!" went the group.

"And we'll meet next week!" grinned the DM, evilly.

"Wait a minute," says I..."I cast Dimissal!"

The DM looked poleaxed. "You can't *do* that!"

"She's an outsider, I'm a cleric, dismissal's on my prepped list, and you need to roll a save."

Five minutes of back and forth, rules consultation, and wailing and gnashing of teeth later, the DM threw his hands in the air and said, "Fine!"

He rolled the save.

Darn Aspect of Tiamat made it by 1. I'd failed, but the DM's momentum had been broken. Next week we steamrolled the Aspect.

Good times, good times.
thorr-kan is offline   Reply With Quote